Got A New Unit Today

other dog

Guess ol' otherdog won't be picked on for driving a 2006 Peterbilt 379 EXHD with a 550 Cat and 18 speed anymore- ha!! I took a last picture of it today- don't worry Ed, I have lots of pictures of it to post periodically!

Now I get to drive this- hasn't even been lettered yet.

Everybody says the same thing about them- " best riding truck I ever sat in, but it ain't got no power- 21 mph. up Sandstone with a load of treated lumber...". It's got the new PACCAR engine, I don't know the horsepower, just know it's not a 550 Cat, and a 10 speed transmission...geez! And you have to put that "cow pee" stuff in it periodically too.

Dammit! I really didn't mind being picked on at all.

Cleaned that Peterbilt out until about 1:30 this afternoon. Amazing the amount of crap you accumulate in 5 years- I got the trailer half loaded with crap, took a bunch of crap back in the shop, threw away a good deal of crap, and the pickup is fully loaded with crap now. I'm ashamed and embarassed with the amount of stuff I had in that truck, it was unreal.

Got to put a lot of it back on the new truck and it has no tool boxes on it yet, but i've decided that anything I haven't used in the last 3 years probably isn't necessary.

Now i'm gonna pick on myself...gotta git some of them paper shopping bags and cut some peep-holes in 'em so I can see where i'm going.

But, Jeff did tell me today that since we got the new trucks- the Cascadias, Prostars and T660's- the daily fuel bill dropped from around $9,000 to around $6,000- that's just hard to argue against.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

"I'll tell you one thing- the next truck is gonna be a slope-nose, and the days of the big horsepower are over"...Jeff Moore,2010.

If i'd had a choice, I would have went for the International, just from hearing what the other drivers had to say. Really got to like the looks of those Lonestars, but I have to drive what I get. Maybe it won't be as bad as I think. I'll get back to you in a month or two.

yea thats why I try to keep the Company truck in good condition.1997 IH 9400 eagle. Has almost 400,000K on her but that 550 cat and 18 pull the hills and get me where I want to go.. I can pass lots of empty company trucks climbing hills. slowest hill on any interstate I found was about 40MPH (going west).

Jeff is happy with the fuel bill, of course.

The reason: trucks run better at nite as drivers don't want to be seen in them.

Kinda like a fat chick. You'll ride it, but not tell yur friends

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Got a lot done today, got most of my stuff piled into the Kenworth.

Still brought a pickup load of stuff home- went by the "if you haven't used it in the last three years you probably don't need it" rule. Got all the necessities anyway, like my cb radio.

Even took a last picture of the old Pete. Unless I take a last picture Monday that is. Got in it and looked around to see if i'd forgotten anything...saw nothing but tumbleweed blowing around.

If I had any mind at all I'd give Jeff a piece of it. I think he went from bad to worse even though that silver thing was pretty bad.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

And your input on the transaction was???

Happy employees are more inclined to stay around with a company that listens to their interests.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

At least its not a volvooooooo

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

And your input on the transaction was???

Happy employees are more inclined to stay around with a company that listens to their interests.

Rob

My input was zero. I expressed my opinions of course about what i'd like to have- I even asked Jeff what he thought about trying out a big Mack truck. And I told him that I hoped he kept the Peterbilt until it fell apart. In fact, the last time he talked about a truck he said he thought he'd keep the Pete, overhaul it around 750,000 miles, run it another year and then trade it. But...I think this new truck was left over from the new ones Todd had ordered for the company, he got an offer for the Pete he couldn't refuse, so he took it. I'm sure the fuel milage these 13 liter engines are getting had a lot to do with it too.

But i'm happy, you can't find better people to work for or that are easier to get along with. And i've been knowing them for years, Jeff and Todd were still in high school when I went to work for their grandfather, H.H.Moore.

My input was zero. I expressed my opinions of course about what i'd like to have- I even asked Jeff what he thought about trying out a big Mack truck. And I told him that I hoped he kept the Peterbilt until it fell apart. In fact, the last time he talked about a truck he said he thought he'd keep the Pete, overhaul it around 750,000 miles, run it another year and then trade it. But...I think this new truck was left over from the new ones Todd had ordered for the company, he got an offer for the Pete he couldn't refuse, so he took it. I'm sure the fuel milage these 13 liter engines are getting had a lot to do with it too.

But i'm happy, you can't find better people to work for or that are easier to get along with. And i've been knowing them for years, Jeff and Todd were still in high school when I went to work for their grandfather, H.H.Moore.

I know you are happy with the employer and given scrap is running about $300.00 a ton, $47,000 for that Pete is not a bad deal........

I'm certain you will learn to like that new truck. As Hatcity referred you can put a lot of miles on at night and nobody will know the difference although they stand a greater chance of getting their freight on time with not so many stops at repair facility's along the way......

Is there enough room for a grille to travel along?

Rob

I know you are happy with the employer and given scrap is running about $300.00 a ton, $47,000 for that Pete is not a bad deal........

I'm certain you will learn to like that new truck. As Hatcity referred you can put a lot of miles on at night and nobody will know the difference although they stand a greater chance of getting their freight on time with not so many stops at repair facility's along the way......

Is there enough room for a grille to travel along?

Rob

Platform drivers always have room for the grill. I got mine

Tom,I had to laugh when i read about how much stuff you had in the truck! guilty of that myself! being an ex "bedbugger" i was suprised at the amount of stuff/shit you accumulate over the years! took me damn near all weekend to clean out my truck last time i did a spring cleaning,had shit in there i did'nt even remember being in the truck,or where it came from! we have a small station wagon,and i made two trips to the house loaded!......................Mark P.S. you going to Colfax next month?

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Tom, at least don't forget to take home tha blowup doll. I kinda like tha color of the new unit.

mike

I KNEW i'd forget something-I gotta run over to Concord and get that inflatable sheep -I mean doll- right now.

Too bad he didn't get the fenders painted black though, that would look pretty good.

Tom,I had to laugh when i read about how much stuff you had in the truck! guilty of that myself! being an ex "bedbugger" i was suprised at the amount of stuff/shit you accumulate over the years! took me damn near all weekend to clean out my truck last time i did a spring cleaning,had shit in there i did'nt even remember being in the truck,or where it came from! we have a small station wagon,and i made two trips to the house loaded!......................Mark P.S. you going to Colfax next month?

Yeah, I found stuff I forgot I had too. Even after I put the stuff in the new truck yesterday I still brought another pickup load of stuff home and threw it in the back yard.

I don't really need 400 corner protectors or 5 oversize load signs.

Yeah, i'm hoping to get to Colfax.

That is not hard to accomplish.

Rob

I KNEW i'd forget something-I gotta run over to Concord and get that inflatable sheep -I mean doll- right now.

Too bad he didn't get the fenders painted black though, that would look pretty good.

You didn't forget the sheep. It's still at my place. Did get the gorilla tape replaced with a much more functional repair for you.

Now you can just reach right in and pull for cleaning. That "EZ Pull" chute should work out fine for you.

Black fenders are not too difficult to acheive. All mine will have black fenders.

Rob

I think your spot on about tha fenders. I'll be happy to send ya some black Krylon from local BigK.

mike

Krylon is still a pretty good product. It doesn't wear quite as well as a catalyzed product but doesn't cost the same either.

Rob

Rob, I figured Tom might want to keep it simple, since it is the other brand X he's having to drive. As for tha exhaust.....i'd pull those tall boys off and do some horizontals in front of the drivers. At least they are behind sleeper and less noise...and look good in chrome.

mike

Made a trip in the new unit. Been a long time since I drove a truck that was that weak. It has no power and it might as well not have an engine brake, it's pretty much useless.

But, from Lynchburg to Dayton, Ohio pulling a drop deck with only 18,000 lbs. on then running empty to Sharon, Pa. it got 8.1 mpg. I loaded 44,500lbs. in Sharon going back to Lynchburg and it got 6.5mpg. for the entire trip.

Here's a picture I took this evening after I got back and hooked back up to my regular trailer...same spot where I took the last Peterbilt picture.

Speaking of Peterbilts, there was one of them at the yard today too.