Some things a burglar will not tell you:

Rob

1. Of course I look familiar. I was here just last week cleaning your carpets, painting your shutters, or delivering your new refrigerator.

2. Hey, thanks for letting me use the bathroom when I was working in your yard last week. While I was in there, I unlatched the back window to make my return a little easier..

3. Love those flowers. That tells me you have taste... and taste means there are nice things inside. Those yard toys your kids leave out always make me wonder what type of gaming system they have.

4. Yes, I really do look for newspapers piled up on the driveway. And I might leave a pizza flyer in your front door to see how long it takes you to remove it..

5. If it snows while you're out of town, get a neighbor to create car and foot tracks into the house.. Virgin drifts in the driveway are a dead giveaway.

6. If decorative glass is part of your front entrance, don't let your alarm company install the control pad where I can see if it's set. That makes it too easy.

7. A good security company alarms the window over the sink. And the windows on the second floor, which often access the master bedroom - and your jewelry. It's not a bad idea to put motion detectors up there too.

8. It's raining, you're fumbling with your umbrella, and you forget to lock your door - understandable. But understand this: I don't take a day off because of bad weather.

9. I always knock first. If you answer, I'll ask for directions somewhere or offer to clean your gutters. (Don't take me up on it.)

10. Do you really think I won't look in your sock drawer? I always check dresser drawers, the bedside table, and the medicine cabinet.

11. Here's a helpful hint: I almost never go into kids' rooms.

12. You're right: I won't have enough time to break into that safe where you keep your valuables. But if it's not bolted down, I'll take it with me.

13. A loud TV or radio can be a better deterrent than the best alarm system. If you're reluctant to leave your TV on while you're out of town, you can buy a $35 device that works on a timer and simulates the flickering glow of a real television. (Find it at http://www.faketv/.com/)

8 MORE THINGS A BURGLAR WON'T TELL YOU:

1. Sometimes, I carry a clipboard. Sometimes, I dress like a lawn guy and carry a rake. I do my best to never, ever look like a crook.

2. The two things I hate most: loud dogs and nosy neighbors.

3. I'll break a window to get in, even if it makes a little noise. If your neighbor hears one loud sound, he'll stop what he's doing and wait to hear it again. If he doesn't hear it again, he'll just go back to what he was doing. It's human nature.

4. I'm not complaining, but why would you pay all that money for a fancy alarm system and leave your house without setting it?

5. I love looking in your windows. I'm looking for signs that you're home, and for flat screen TVs or gaming systems I'd like. I'll drive or walk through your neighborhood at night, before you close the blinds, just to pick my targets.

6. Avoid announcing your vacation on your Facebook page. It's easier than you think to look up your address.

7. To you, leaving that window open just a crack during the day is a way to let in a little fresh air. To me, it's an invitation.

8. If you don't answer when I knock, I try the door. Occasionally, I hit the jackpot and walk right in.

Protection for you and your home:

If you don't have a gun, here's a more humane way to wreck someone's evil plans for you.

WASP SPRAY

A friend who is a receptionist in a church in a high risk area was concerned about someone coming into the office on Monday to rob them when they were counting the collection. She asked the local police department about using pepper spray and they recommended to her that she get a can of wasp spray instead.

The wasp spray, they told her, can shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate, while with the pepper spray, they have to get too close to you and could overpower you. The wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker until they get to the hospital for an antidote. She keeps a can on her desk in the office and it doesn't attract attention from people like a can of pepper spray would. She also keeps one nearby at home for home protection.. Thought this was interesting and might be of use.

FROM ANOTHER SOURCE:

On the heels of a break-in and beating that left an elderly woman in Toledo dead, self-defense experts have a tip that could save your life.

Val Glinka teaches self-defense to students at Sylvania Southview High School . For decades, he's suggested putting a can of wasp and hornet spray near your door or bed.

Glinka says, "This is better than anything I can teach them."

Glinka considers it inexpensive, easy to find, and more effective than mace or pepper spray. The cans typically shoot 20 to 30 feet; so if someone tries to break into your home, Glinka says, "spray the culprit in the eyes". It's a tip he's given to students for decades. It's also one he wants everyone to hear. If you're looking for protection, Glinka says look to the spray.

"That's going to give you a chance to call the police; maybe get out." Maybe even save a life.

Put your car keys beside your bed at night.

Tell your spouse, your children, your neighbors, your parents, your Dr.'s office, the check-out girl at the market, everyone you run across. Put your car keys beside your bed at night.

If you hear a noise outside your home or someone trying to get in your house, just press the panic button for your car. The alarm will be set off, and the horn will continue to sound until either you turn it off or the car battery dies. This tip came from a neighborhood watch coordinator. Next time you come home for the night and you start to put your keys away, think of this: It's a security alarm system that you probably already have and requires no installation. Test it. It will go off from most everywhere inside your house and will keep honking until your battery runs down or until you reset it with the button on the key fob chain. It works if you park in your driveway or garage. If your car alarm goes off when someone is trying to break into your house, odds are the burglar/rapist won't stick around. After a few seconds all the neighbors will be looking out their windows to see who is out there and sure enough the criminal won't want that. And remember to carry your keys while walking to your car in a parking lot. The alarm can work the same way there. This is something that should really be shared with everyone. Maybe it could save a life or a sexual abuse crime.

P.S.

I am sending this to everyone I know because I think it is fantastic. Would also be useful for any emergency, such as a heart attack, where you can't reach a phone. My Mom has suggested to my Dad that he carry his car keys with him in case he falls outside and she doesn't hear him. He can activate the car alarm and then she'll know there's a problem.

Please pass this on even IF you've read it before. It's a reminder..

Please share this with all the people in your life.

Always be on the lookout, especially in these hard economic times:

Rob

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

all good ideas. A loaded snub nose .38 special revolver in the nightstand drawer could be as useful as wasp spray also. I've never shot anyone of course, really couldn't even imagine shooting anybody. But when somebody breaks into your home, that's a different story- you never know what their intentions are. I wouldn't hesitate for an instant to shoot them.

My favorite part of the NRA magazine is "The Armed Citizen".

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

all good ideas. A loaded snub nose .38 special revolver in the nightstand drawer could be as useful as wasp spray also. I've never shot anyone of course, really couldn't even imagine shooting anybody. But when somebody breaks into your home, that's a different story- you never know what their intentions are. I wouldn't hesitate for an instant to shoot them.

Taurus makes a neat looking .410/45 revolver Tom. I like it cause of the .410 capability. You can buy .410 shells that have a mix of buckshot and small discs. Guess that sounds a lil too gory, I dont want to shoot anybody either, but I guess when it comes to my family, I could mess em up pretty good. randyp

Taurus makes a neat looking .410/45 revolver Tom. I like it cause of the .410 capability. You can buy .410 shells that have a mix of buckshot and small discs. Guess that sounds a lil too gory, I dont want to shoot anybody either, but I guess when it comes to my family, I could mess em up pretty good. randyp

I've seen pictures of those in American Rifleman. 'Course you've got Spot as a first defense.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Funny when I got out of service,didn't want a weapon near me, now I don't leave home with out one. My wife even got a permit to have one. A Baretta cal 40. We have a S & W 12 gauge Coast Guard Boarding gun for home and a Ruger Redhawk for my shop. We have Sheriffs here on Eastern L.I. they say to make sure there is a weapon in the perps hand and make sure yours is the only story.So far we've only had a few escape from the Suffolk Work Farm and they got caught quick. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I sure enjoy reading the "armed citizen" as well,nice to hear about some kindly grandmother "bustin' a cap" in some crooks ass! crooks that would like to visit my house will be treated to a model 1911 Colt .45 and a wife that can consistantly hang all 8 in the 10 ring!......................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

that gun is appropriately named "THE JUDGE".

• Like 1

I keep a Mossberg 590A1 in the house for protection, holds 8 in the magazine and one in the chamber. Load it with 525 grain Lyman slugs that I cast and hand load myself. I also carry a 2 1/2 inch Model 66 357 mag on me as well.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

I've got a S&W Governor on order....basically the same as the Judge, 'cept the S&W is made in the USA and shoots .410, .45 long colt, and .45 ACP, whereas the Judge is made in Brazil and shoots .410, .45 long colt, and .454 Casull.

I've got a 1911 at takes .45 ACP, and have been drooling over Henry rifles for a while....probably go with one in .45 long colt....not as good ballistics as .44 magnum, but I like the idea of having multiple guns chambered for the same rounds....easier to stock up on ammo.

I keep a Mossberg 590A1 in the house for protection, holds 8 in the magazine and one in the chamber. Load it with 525 grain Lyman slugs that I cast and hand load myself. I also carry a 2 1/2 inch Model 66 357 mag on me as well.

I've got an 870 Remington...extended magazine tube (holds 7 rounds + 1 in the chamber) with additional shell carriers on the stock (5 rounds) and receiver (6 rounds) for 11 more rounds that are right there on the gun ready to load.

l.jpg

I've always kept it loaded with this ammo from Centurion....it's a .65 round ball in front of 6 #1 buck pellets.....exiting the barrel @ 1300 fps...and it'll knock the tar out of anything in it's path. I recently bought a couple boxes of another similar ammo....a 1 oz rifled slug w/ 3 #00 buck pellets. Haven't tested that yet, though.

l.jpg

I prefer to stick with store bought ammo for defensive use....less wiggle room for the deceased's family's attorney to make ridiculous allegations.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Burglars would bury in my back yard much the same as a dead pet.

I only have a 9mm Beretta 92F military pistol I purchased new in 1986 when first released for public sale. With this gun I learned to shoot and qualify well with the USMC while the Navy.

It does stay loaded with 10 in the magazine and a round in the chamber. I prefer jacketed 124 grain hollow point for the stopping power offered in the compact shell.

I am a firm believer in that you do not shoot to wound.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.