Done broke somethin' yesterday...

RowdyRebel

Pulling into a fuel stop & heard a loud "pop". After that, the steering wheel was 90 degrees off-center. Looked things over...tugged on every steering component and looked at the suspension...everything appeared to be OK....made a few phone calls and decided I'd just ease on up the road, deliver my load, and get it to a Mack dealer ASAP.

Well, ASAP was this morning after picking up my next load. At first, they thought it was the front left spring bushing, but when they pulled it apart to change it, the spring eye was broken off.

So, the 2QK492's are being replaced with 2QK494's. I figure if I'm buying new springs, I'm going to upgrade. $140 buys me an extra 3800# spring capacity on the steers. Either way, they had to be ordered...so no difference in down time. Hopefully now I'll quit bottoming them out...only clean spots on the truck are where the bump-stops contact the underside of the frame rails. Everyone seems to think it's going to be TOO much spring...especially for a day cab...but my old '86 Ranger had 4000# of spring on the ass end and 1250# coilovers in addition to the progressive rate coil springs up front.

It's a truck...and as such, I have no problem with it riding like a truck. If I wanted a Cadillac-like ride quality coupled with the inability to do actual work, I would have bought a Peterbilt. :tease:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

:icon_bs:

Ditto

On a side note you could take it to a place that builds dumps out of tractors and get them to recertify the front end to the springs. Idk what your running up there but some states do and well check your door tag and tires. Also get under and look at your front end. Got mine done for 150 with a new door tag

The door tag says 12,800...so I was surprised to find the springs were only rated 12,400. I'm still not going to push any more weight up onto the steers than I have been...

....and the Ranger you've seen pics of is my '92 Ranger. It just had the stock suspension until I took a trip out west and the rear fenders were rubbing on the tire sidewalls...so I added 1500# helper springs for the ride home and solved that problem. The '86 Ranger had (still has...but it ain't on the road at the moment) a MUCH stouter spring setup. I'll have to try to find a pic of that old truck...

...besides this one. :pat:

l.jpg

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

The door tag says 12,800...so I was surprised to find the springs were only rated 12,400. I'm still not going to push any more weight up onto the steers than I have been...

....and the Ranger you've seen pics of is my '92 Ranger. It just had the stock suspension until I took a trip out west and the rear fenders were rubbing on the tire sidewalls...so I added 1500# helper springs for the ride home and solved that problem. The '86 Ranger had (still has...but it ain't on the road at the moment) a MUCH stouter spring setup. I'll have to try to find a pic of that old truck...

l.jpg

that was nice of you to remove fender so we could see springs better.aj

• Like 1

l.jpg

Too bad I deleted that picture. I had a picture of Rowdy transporting an elephant in that little Ranger- a full grown elephant! It was covered with a tarp, but you could tell it was an elephant, without a doubt. That's what happened to his springs.

By the way Rowdy, did you trade trucks recently?..I thought I saw you.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

The new part number could be a VOLVO thing. Slowly all the part numbers are switching over.

I got new springs ( 3 leaf ) for my CX last December and have been having support issues as well. Upgraded by adding a fourth leaf for 1800 lb. added capacity. I don't mind the ride and the truck holds the road better now with added control.

Gregg

Yep, that's a world ID number.

As long as it is still the 8100# spring (16,200# pair) that I thought I was buying, I'm happy.

It definitely rides better....big dips don't bottom out the suspension anymore. I feel much better riding around at 75% of the suspension's rated capacity than at nearly 100%. Wouldn't mind upgrading the axle, too.....but haven't broke it....yet.... :whistling:

Rowdy i broke something the day before yesterday at about dark thirty. I have a E6 engine and about ever six months if i dont change the fan belts the inside belt will break. Its done it a few times but this time the belt went under the water pump pulley and burnt the other belt off go thing was i had just dumped a load of hot rocks. But i could not get the belt from under the pulley with out pulling the pulley off.I do not know why it throws one belt. New dampener on it one year ago and no better. glenn

glenn akers

Rowdy i broke something the day before yesterday at about dark thirty. I have a E6 engine and about ever six months if i dont change the fan belts the inside belt will break. Its done it a few times but this time the belt went under the water pump pulley and burnt the other belt off go thing was i had just dumped a load of hot rocks. But i could not get the belt from under the pulley with out pulling the pulley off.I do not know why it throws one belt. New dampener on it one year ago and no better. glenn

Glenn

Mack has a double V belt that will replace the 2 separate belts and will last allot longer...I was changing the 2 individual belts every year or so...until I switched to the single belt and does not need as much tension,,,,and less stress on the alternator.

Mack will cross reference your 2 belt number to the single belt number

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM