Is Volvo Good Or Bad For Mack Trucks?

February Poll  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Is Volvo's ownership a good thing for Mack Trucks?

• Yes...Volvo will help Mack Trucks Continue to grow!
    • No...Volvo will ruin the Mack nameplate and destroy the brand!

I run semi dump in the south suburbs of Chicago.  I'm slowly starting to see more Anthems going up and down I-80 and I-57.  Not dozens a day but a few more every week.  Lmackattack you're right.  Everyone ran Macks by us back in the day.  Most of them were R models....then CHs, then Visions and Granites, then they went to KW.  Prarie Materials used to run all Macks and they still have some old RDs on the street.  They're starting to buy KW now.  I saw a new one at CIT Kenworth in Mokena yesterday.  I don't know...are 8 airbags better than 4?

Old iron: Sadly the E9 is gone also. The only legacy items left at Mack as I see it are the :

Bulldog-

the camel back suspension and design-

the Mayflower cab-Granite model, Pinnacle models(CH)(CX) and legacy cab over models MR/ LE

the rear end design-

the manual transmissions and design

Macungie and Hagerstown

All of course owned by Volvo

Edited by james j neiweem

On 2/25/2019 at 9:26 PM, Hook n ladder 1 said:

I run semi dump in the south suburbs of Chicago.  I'm slowly starting to see more Anthems going up and down I-80 and I-57.  Not dozens a day but a few more every week.  Lmackattack you're right.  Everyone ran Macks by us back in the day.  Most of them were R models....then CHs, then Visions and Granites, then they went to KW.  Prarie Materials used to run all Macks and they still have some old RDs on the street.  They're starting to buy KW now.  I saw a new one at CIT Kenworth in Mokena yesterday.  I don't know...are 8 airbags better than 4?

When Ozinga bought out meyer. Mack lost that buisness. Waste Managment has started  buying paccar garbage trucks. I have not seen a new WM mack in a while. UPS has been buying KW and others. Almost every excavation company that ran macks bought a Pete or KW for a lowboy truck and then started to change over their fleet to paccar. I said it 15 years ago.. Paccar was moving in to the vocational market with serious intent and they are winning today.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Swishy said:

RE:                Is Volvo Good Or Bad

P L E A S E

FFS .................. donot use Volvo & good in the same sentance

:loldude:

cya

Yup A  three   dressed up As  Nine! 

• 1 month later...

was talking on Facebook today about Chicagoland Concrete trucks.   Oremus Materiel, a former Chicago company  just started up again in Chicago with brand new KWs,  Cemex has a new plant here with all new Petes and rumor is they are looking to expand in this area after some turf wars in Florida... Just more proof how Mack/volvo is dropping out of the game.  I can only think of just a few chicagoland concrete company's running later model granite's and I think they both have bought new KWs in their last new truck purchase. I wonder what the sales numbers at mack year to year for the past 5 years for Concrete trucks and Garbage truck chassis?

From what I see on the street. Their numbers are declining and fast fast. I have seen a few Anthems. but none of the big fleets have even looked at them.

Volvo really knows how to take a proven product and change it so no one wants it. they are also good at pricing it out of line so competitors just have to answer their phone to sell a truck.

• 2 years later...

No Volvo hates Americans. All they wanted was the power train from Mack than they tried their damnedest to destroy Mack for good. And all they do is brake everybody civil rights and  treat everybody like they are slaves and the UAW works with Volvo to abuse the workers. They cheat the people who work so hard out of everything and anything they can. Both Volvo and the UAW  need to stop being so money hungry and respectfully the hard people who work there and let them raise their families in peace not in terrorism.

• Like 1