Reason For Extended Hood On Some R Models?

Yeah the Cats and Cummins are much larger. I know the older Cummins were 855 ci. I believe the Cat is over 900ci.I am thinking the 2 valve and e6 Mack motors were in the 670-680 (673??) ci range and the E7's are around 725-735 ci...cant remember the exact numbers. I could be wrong on these numbers but I am close...lol.

Yeah the Cats and Cummins are much larger. I know the older Cummins were 855 ci. I believe the Cat is over 900ci.I am thinking the 2 valve and e6 Mack motors were in the 670-680 (673??) ci range and the E7's are around 725-735 ci...cant remember the exact numbers. I could be wrong on these numbers but I am close...lol.

1693TA Caterpillar in my RL755L displaces 893 cubic inches, 14.6 Ltr. 425 hp@ 2100rpm, 1275 pound ft. torque@1400 rpm. These figures are conservative I'm told by Caterpillar engineers.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

MY Long hood (RS700L) has the 6 cyl 285 Mack tip turbine . It has about 12"-14" between the fire wall and rear engine. Some day I would like to drop a E9 in it but for now it pulls great and cost next to nothing to keep it running.

Someone correct me but are the 700 hoods 12" longer than R models??/ always wondered how much longer they were?

MY Long hood (RS700L) has the 6 cyl 285 Mack tip turbine . It has about 12"-14" between the fire wall and rear engine. Some day I would like to drop a E9 in it but for now it pulls great and cost next to nothing to keep it running.

Someone correct me but are the 700 hoods 12" longer than R models??/ always wondered how much longer they were?

My engine fills the bay front to back. There is no doghouse protruding into the cab but it is a tight fit to get a hand behind the engine against the firewall.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 3 weeks later...

The RL (and FL COE) was built in Mack's Hayward California factory. It was an effort by Mack to combat the growing popularity of the west coast makes with the long hoods and set forward front axles. The forward set axle and long hood made it a "West Coast" truck and allowed bigger motors to be used. The RL 700's predecessors would have been the LT and B70 (especially those with the L cab) series. The next model in that position was the Superliner.