Looking For Tips Before Purchasing Excavator

Deere Mack

I've always been a Cat man. But I do not like this new junk. Prefer the older 2 series like the 235 and 245. Newer stuff. Maybe a 200 or something Komatsu,Deere,Hitachi. I've run most of them and they are quiet,decent power for the size. Depends what you are going to do with it. Now a days they are all almost alike. Power,size, weight, with a few differences

Best look at your parts support and availability. I don't have to tell you driving a Peterbilt that a machine broke down on a job is worthless if you can't get parts and repairs in a hurry.

Cat and Deere have the best parts and support with Case being very close in this neck of the woods. Of course the cost is higher on some of those too.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Check condition of track. How much pad is left before you start to wear on the bolts. Pins and bushings-when were they turned last.Sloppiness of bucket-worn bushings. Hyd. cylinder leaks or weeps. Hoses-are they correct size. WAS machine used for demolition work ie. hammertime. That will shake the shit out of a machine and may cause other problems. Sheet metal damage. If some, it happens; if alot, the operator prolly didn't take care of the machine either. Same for glass. A/C and/or heat. Really eye the boom for straightness.

With the economy still on the down side, you can get a good deal. Check auction sites-Ritchie bros are all over the place

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Best look at your parts support and availability. I don't have to tell you driving a Peterbilt that a machine broke down on a job is worthless if you can't get parts and repairs in a hurry.

Cat and Deere have the best parts and support with Case being very close in this neck of the woods. Of course the cost is higher on some of those too.

Rob

Hmmm Must be talking of a Grey pete that seems to have alot of down time. Mine runs like a top just the minor stuff. Pm's,tires,occasional ujoint,

Thanks for the tips. Just trying to get my mind in excavator gear before shopping and dealing. Tossing around the idea of a Komatsu or Deere 160 or 200. I'll use it for land clearing/stumps, demolition and ponds/lakes. I'm having to turn away to much work not being equiped and I'll probably be hiring an operator, all things I didn't have intentions of ever doing. But hey it's a good thing, right?

Hmmm Must be talking of a Grey pete that seems to have alot of down time. Mine runs like a top just the minor stuff. Pm's,tires,occasional ujoint,

Could be. I can't really tell them apart as they all look the same.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thanks for the tips. Just trying to get my mind in excavator gear before shopping and dealing. Tossing around the idea of a Komatsu or Deere 160 or 200. I'll use it for land clearing/stumps, demolition and ponds/lakes. I'm having to turn away to much work not being equiped and I'll probably be hiring an operator, all things I didn't have intentions of ever doing. But hey it's a good thing, right?

Sometimes it's much better to stay small and do most everything yourself with the occasional sublet work.

Rob

• Like 1

having to turn away work is a good sign, or not. How many companies went under that would be doing this work otherwise.

Instead of going into an area you did not intend, buddy up with several guys that have the equipment and people already.

If you get a call, bring one of them on board. He clears, you haul. He made money to keep going; you made some money; the customer got the job done.

• Like 1

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Everybody wishes they had one.

Two options here:

1. With ramps, unload the rear Mack, jerk that Peterbilt out of the way, hitch to the trailer leaving the Pete to revert to it's original state of matter, (dirt).

2. Pay for an awful expensive tow bill, (again) cause common sense says don't leave no Mack alongside the road because them things is gold. Of course this part about "common sense" does not apply if you are a politician, or in Obama's fanbase.

Rob

The picture comes up one more time of the B and R theres going to be a B61 or U600 hooked to it towning it home. I really like those two trucks, I wish we could get some where with them.

To the thread : We had good luck with.... Volvo's , yeah .. I know but we had a Volvo excavator and keep up with the daily PM's and never had a down day that I was there. Also ran a Volvo rock truck and it was pretty good also.

my pc160 komatsu is a nice machine. with 2 buckets your near the 40,000# range . parts are fine to get if you have a dealer near you. find one with hyd. quick tach and hyd. thumb. also try to find lower hour machine.

gg2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

Ain't no feeling like Petermobiling :tease:

Ain't that the truth. A Peterbilt and a good set of soles on your shoes and you be all set. Warm socks and a heavy coat in the winter are a good idea too.

Rob

Deere Mack,I Have owned both Cat an Komatsu Cat 235 an Kom. PC 400 & 300 Sorry to say, I thought the Komatsu was a better machine, if you look at a Cat Machine check the pump swivel it's in the center of the house an has all the hyd lines going to it. On my 235, that used to give me a lot of trouble!! It's not to hard to change but It's A real dirty job!!! BY the way I think all excavators have them, but my Komatsu never gave me trouble. Also when ever I bought A used Machine I would send eather the Cat or Komatsu guy's over to grab oil samples (esp.on your final drives an your Hyd. oil system) It will cost you a couple of bucks but It's well worth the money!

BULLHUSK

I've only had minor breakdowns too, just a lot of them. None lately thankfully. One starter, 2 alternators I think, 718,000 miles now. You know how some people exaggerate!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Two options here:

1. jerk that Peterbilt out of the way, hitch to the trailer with my cabover Freightshaker, leaving the Pete to revert to it's original state of matter, (dirt).

2. Pay for an awful expensive tow bill, (again) cause common sense says don't leave no Mack alongside the road because them things is gold. Of course this part about "common sense" does not apply if you are a politician, or in Obama's fanbase.

Rob

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Deere Mack,I Have owned both Cat an Komatsu Cat 235 an Kom. PC 400 & 300 Sorry to say, I thought the Komatsu was a better machine, if you look at a Cat Machine check the pump swivel it's in the center of the house an has all the hyd lines going to it. On my 235, that used to give me a lot of trouble!! It's not to hard to change but It's A real dirty job!!! BY the way I think all excavators have them, but my Komatsu never gave me trouble. Also when ever I bought A used Machine I would send eather the Cat or Komatsu guy's over to grab oil samples (esp.on your final drives an your Hyd. oil system) It will cost you a couple of bucks but It's well worth the money!

BULLHUSK

We had a 235 at 1 time. It is a hell of alot more machine then you'll ever need. What I liked about it was it had the ass to back it up. unlike these newer machines. We had a 3.5 yard bucket on ours. Only problem we had was if you curled to far you would bend the cylinder. If I remember right. Haven't seen that machine since I was 6 years old. Also ran one with a 966 bucket on it. Was a great sloping machine and loading muck. Couldn't do much else. Also had to watch going cross track and extending out to far. I have never run anything bigger and the newer stuff always feels light on the ass end. Think they need 3k more counter weight

my pc160 komatsu is a nice machine. with 2 buckets your near the 40,000# range . parts are fine to get if you have a dealer near you. find one with hyd. quick tach and hyd. thumb. also try to find lower hour machine.

gg2

Thats the machine I'm favoring. I've talked with a local guy who has a 200 and wished he'd went wtih a 160. Said he thought it would be easier to get around. My first job with it will be about 50 ac's of stumps and slash. I would love to get a Wood / Stump Shear one day, but they are recomended for machines 50k plus. I think the 200 would just barely fit on my 35TN Fontaine detach without sticking past the rear, but the 160 wouldn't be any problem at all. I'm torn........

Read my lips,,,,AIR CONDITIONING!!!!!!!!! randyp

YES! And heat! And not sucking dust and spittn' mud. I'll leave that up to the guy I hire on the dozer. If things go good I hope to have a cab dozer one of these days too.. I've always liked the open feel, but the older I get the better that cab looks!

YES! And heat! And not sucking dust and spittn' mud. I'll leave that up to the guy I hire on the dozer. If things go good I hope to have a cab dozer one of these days too.. I've always liked the open feel, but the older I get the better that cab looks!

Man I agree with that. When I purchased my first TLB it was an open rops. The second one had a cab AND air conditioning and I'd never go back to open. Of course the heat in winter was a great asset also.

Going to change skid steer loaders sometime in the future and it will have full cab and air also.

Be careful reading a guys lips from Texas. We did that one time prior and it cost quite a bit of money, (although it was needed).

Rob

• Like 1