Which Oil Would You Choose?

LAZRGUIRA

Hi all,

I have a 1986 Mack superliner with a Rebuilt E6-350... I'm trying to debate which oil is better for my engine.

On my last oil change I put Mobil Devac and 1 gal of lucas oil additive. Coming up on 5500 miles and ready for the next oil change.

Anyway my question is should i stick with mobil delvac or Delo 400LE? also is that valvaline blue any good?

Its a gravel truck.... Also I have a fuller 9 speed that i want to change the tranmission oil too...what oil can i use? thanks in advance

Ive used synthetic in older rears and trannies. The main different I was told by Dutchman Diesel who does our rears and trannies, that synthetic does not break down or degrade over time and the lubrication qualities are more consistant. What I have found is easier shifting and quieter. IMO. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Just be sure to drain ALL the old stuff out. Mixing synthetic with fossil is not good to bearings and such

Yep forgot to mention give it a GOOD FLUSH.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I like both oils for the engine. Use Eaton Full Synthetic in the trans.

Rob

The Eaton synthetic will also run a lot cooler. Also, when choosing an engine oil, using an oil that is readily available anywhere, makes sense. Just in case, for some reason you have to add oil.

We've flushed the gear bxes by removing the PTO covers and drain plug(s) and liberal internal spray down with Brakeklean, it won't attack the seals. Others may have an easier or better method than this. You can also get a synthetic and petrolium based oil too. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 2 weeks later...

I think the delo has been reformulated for low emissions now. I already bought 14 gallons of it. should i return it and get mobil delvac instead?

You will be okay using the Chevron oil if it is 15W-40. The CJ-4 oils are backwards compatible. But in the future use Shell Rotella T :whistling:

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I just push down on the chromium plated handle...sometimes I have to do it twice though.

Sometimes I have to do that too in restaurants. Depends on how far it is to the kitchen.

Rob

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

You go to the Chinese buffet too?..tastes great, have no clue what it is!

Yes, me and the guys at work eat at a chinese buffet once per week. Have yet to see food staring back at me but I've never asked what it is neither.

Always get full and it does a good job of cleansing the colon.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.