Out For A Drive Today:

Rob

Today I took the winch truck out to warm the driveline prior to draining the trans oil. To my surprise, when I opened the drains, there really wasn't a lot of grit on the magnetic drain plugs. I was expecting literally "piles" stuck to them given the noise this trans makes. I'm now wondering if I should pull it apart to see what is wrong. I know these transmissions, (RTO-12513) are noisy in the overdrive portion, but this one "howls" in the direct range also. Never have had one this loud. I have a couple more with Mack bells in the shop, but this one has me puzzled. I've never pulled the rear off of one of these but assume it's not too difficult.

Anybody know the clearance between the gear teeth in the back end?

Thanks,

Rob

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Today I took the winch truck out to warm the driveline prior to draining the trans oil. To my surprise, when I opened the drains, there really wasn't a lot of grit on the magnetic drain plugs. I was expecting literally "piles" stuck to them given the noise this trans makes. I'm now wondering if I should pull it apart to see what is wrong. I know these transmissions, (RTO-12513) are noisy in the overdrive portion, but this one "howls" in the direct range also. Never have had one this loud. I have a couple more with Mack bells in the shop, but this one has me puzzled. I've never pulled the rear off of one of these but assume it's not too difficult.

Thanks,

Rob

No. Put a straight pipe on it and turn the radio up real loud and you'll be fine. :rolleyes:

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

No. Put a straight pipe on it and turn the radio up real loud and you'll be fine. :rolleyes:

That sounds like a plan but the grinding one can feel in the floor and through the steering column concerns me. Although perfectly normal in something with a Red Oval on the hood, it is found to be unacceptable when a bulldog resides up front, and his asshole in the driver's seat.

This thing sure does run fine with fresh fuel replacing the 10+ year old diesel that was in the tanks!

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

That sounds like a plan but the grinding one can feel in the floor and through the steering column concerns me. Although perfectly normal in something with a Red Oval on the hood, it is found to be unacceptable when a bulldog resides up front, and his asshole in the driver's seat.

This thing sure does run fine with fresh fuel replacing the 10+ year old diesel that was in the tanks!

Rob

Oh, that's right- sorry, I was thinking Peterbilt thoughts. I had to get some of those big bass speakers and a 15,000 watt amplifier after the radio no longer got loud enough.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Rob

Sounds like a Harley to me. All of them vibrate, thats why the women like them to be that way. They also like an out of balance tire. Gives them the up & down motion.

They tell ya, Baby I Like It! Yea.

mike

Thanks,

Rob

i have a mack transmission manual,let me know...bob

i have a mack transmission manual,let me know...bob

Thanks Bob. This is a Fuller transmission. Just don't know if it's worth working with.

Rob

Thanks,

Rob

Rob,

The older RTOO 9513's we had in the Mixers, wow they would howl like a bad pinion bearing in the rear end!!! They were always noisy esp when you got er goin she would scream! But the grinding?? I don't know??

Rob,

The older RTOO 9513's we had in the Mixers, wow they would howl like a bad pinion bearing in the rear end!!! They were always noisy esp when you got er goin she would scream! But the grinding?? I don't know??

This one definately changes pitch or sound when you split the gears. It doesn't matter the speed traveled.

Rob

Rob, Have you looked at the rears? I've seen a chipped ring or pinion transmit the noise all the way to the trans and out the stick like a tuning fork. It's worth pulling the covers for a look.

I have not pulled the covers but plan to as I want to have a look see when I change the fluids.

I was wondering about one of the rears due to the lack of shavings on the magnetic plugs. There was no more metal than normal wear.

Rob

I have not pulled the covers but plan to as I want to have a look see when I change the fluids.

I was wondering about one of the rears due to the lack of shavings on the magnetic plugs. There was no more metal than normal wear.

Rob

How is the rubber on the trans mounts? You could also drop the drive shaft, start it up, and listen to the trans turning in different gears. Use a stethoscope if you have one.

Thanks Bob. This is a Fuller transmission. Just don't know if it's worth working with.

Rob

gotcha,well i noticed on this sight you can pick up tranmissions pretty rite,i just found a triplex out here all rebuilt for $350.got real lucky..bob

How is the rubber on the trans mounts? You could also drop the drive shaft, start it up, and listen to the trans turning in different gears. Use a stethoscope if you have one.

I looked at the mounts closely and they are in good shape. Still have good compression on top and bottom with no play. I was going to break the driveline but didn't as I got lazy. None of the joints are loose or dry and the output yoke does not deflect with a jack pushing up lightly.

I'm working the midnight shift due to cutover of electrical switchgear tonight. Don't know if I'll get to work on the truck tomorrow as I expect I'll be tired. Come Monday, or Tuesday, I'll get onto it hard. Need to get a hitch on my Jeep this week also.

Rob

Hello,, Rob

We use to wrap the gear stick with rollbar padding to deaden the trans noise.

don't know how bad your whine is or if its coming up the stick or outside.

I wrap mine to cut out harmonic tone from the road.

Your noise might be more then your normal Fuller whine,,don't know

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM