Pto Question ?

bgloss

Hello my question is that my truck is a 95 CL dump has 13 speed trans, I have a variable speed PTO. It works great if you are just dumping a load on a pile but it makes trying to tailgate a load pretty hard espically when they want it thick .The question is anybody knows what it takes to change it over to just a regular pto, I thought I just had to move pto and pump to front of transmission but that is were the trans pump is . I was just wondering if it something simple that I can do or have to take her to the garage?

I would just chain the tailgate to open a couple inches, depending on the size material. Raise the body about a third, open tailgate.

That's how I've seen it done, but never drove a truck with that capability...those 39' frameless trailers are a little too tipsy to be spreading with. :blink:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Just shorten or lengthen the chains OR drive faster or slower while tailgating.

It's almost an art, of which I haven't been able to perfect yet. But if you've got a square bottom box/trailer you've got a leg up on me...the 1/2 round tub I've got just windrows it. Can't say I worry much though, usually the guy with the dozer or grader with the laser guided blade takes care of it.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

Hello my question is that my truck is a 95 CL dump has 13 speed trans, I have a variable speed PTO. It works great if you are just dumping a load on a pile but it makes trying to tailgate a load pretty hard espically when they want it thick .The question is anybody knows what it takes to change it over to just a regular pto, I thought I just had to move pto and pump to front of transmission but that is were the trans pump is . I was just wondering if it something simple that I can do or have to take her to the garage?

Well bgloss, They are right, chain dumping really takes practice. Since I am the one who dumps it and then has to get on dozer and spread (or smear) it, well, I aint much good at anything else, but, aint bragging, I have become somewhat an expert at chain dumping. I had to, or else overwork myself on dozer. I do a lot of farm road construction with native gravel, and it becomes a chore keeping gravel out of ditches if I dont spread dump it. You just drag you self on down here to the great state of texas and class will start, and will buy your lunch, (after you help me split couple cords of firewood). Keep practicing and tell em picky dozer drivers to tighten up and quit whining,,,heh heh,,,randp B)

I don't know if anyone actually understood your question, myself included. Ordinarily a dump truck PTO is either in or out, and raising or lowering the dump body is a function of the pump. Pump pressure being controlled by the operator using the throttle and hoist control. If you have a PTO that would be better suited to pumping off a liquid or driving a compressor to blow off a powder of some kind, I would be interested. In times past Cummins used a modified PT style fuel pump with an additional gov. to maintain a set throttle speed just for such a function. Give us a little more detail.

I don't know if anyone actually understood your question, myself included. Ordinarily a dump truck PTO is either in or out, and raising or lowering the dump body is a function of the pump. Pump pressure being controlled by the operator using the throttle and hoist control. If you have a PTO that would be better suited to pumping off a liquid or driving a compressor to blow off a powder of some kind, I would be interested. In times past Cummins used a modified PT style fuel pump with an additional gov. to maintain a set throttle speed just for such a function. Give us a little more detail.

Detroit Diesel did the same with their governors. It was used on a lot of fire apparatus for pump work. It was called vsls, (variable speed, limiting speed). You would set the engine speed with a cable control and it was more precise for maintaining engine rpm under varying loads than the main governor of the engine.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Sorry everbody for not giving enough info. I have experience tailgating and know how to set thwe chains and all that. My truck has a variable speed PTO, that means when I go to dump my load I have to select a gear 1,2,3, or 4 ,then flip a netraul swich , kick PTO in then raise the box, and then depending which gear you select the faster the box goes up, so say first gear bed just inches along , put it in 4 and then it flys right up. I have tryed putting box 2/3 way up to start but get to much preasure against tailgate and wont open unless you go smack latches with hammer. Also when taigating I like to go as slow as I can espically if rough conditions . Like I said no problem tailgating say 4" to foot thick say like for doing dirt roads and stuff my problem is when they want it 2 to 3 ft thick because I cant feed the material that fast when in 1 gear . I have been doing this for years and dont mind telling dozer man to fix it like everybody saying , but Im just trying to getinfo about setting truck up different to maybe do better job for customers

I see the problem. Yea you need to have a PTO that runs off the Engine revs so that when your in Gear and moving forward the more throttle you give the faster it lifts the box. right now your running the PTO off the transmission gear speed. so when you grab first gear the box is rasing too slow even at full throttel. With the PTO running off the enge RPM You would still use 1st (or 2nd gear) but a properly specd PTO will lift the box faster. PTO gearing will depend on the trans and what kind of pump speed that is needed. TO fast of a pump can blow lines and snap a PTO shaft,gear etc....

Sorry everbody for not giving enough info. I have experience tailgating and know how to set thwe chains and all that. My truck has a variable speed PTO, that means when I go to dump my load I have to select a gear 1,2,3, or 4 ,then flip a netraul swich , kick PTO in then raise the box, and then depending which gear you select the faster the box goes up, so say first gear bed just inches along , put it in 4 and then it flys right up. I have tryed putting box 2/3 way up to start but get to much preasure against tailgate and wont open unless you go smack latches with hammer. Also when taigating I like to go as slow as I can espically if rough conditions . Like I said no problem tailgating say 4" to foot thick say like for doing dirt roads and stuff my problem is when they want it 2 to 3 ft thick because I cant feed the material that fast when in 1 gear . I have been doing this for years and dont mind telling dozer man to fix it like everybody saying , but Im just trying to getinfo about setting truck up different to maybe do better job for customers

I think you would be a lot happier with a different set up. Personally I prefer a a direct mount air shift unit, You can raise the body as high as you want in neutral, put the transmission in gear, pop the gate, and drive out from under your load, raising the body as needed. If you need to just start where someone else finished, as in spreading base on a new road. Put the PTO in gear, raise the hoist on the fly, pop the gate where you need to, and run the load out. I have tried spreading dirt, good luck with that idea. Even if it is dry enough, you can't get the same results twice in a row. Thicker is harder, and you don't need chains at all. Especially if you don"t like shoveling dirt out of a clogged tail gate.

I have spread a few loads but I always unlock the gate before lifting. To many times Have I seen a stuck gates and even a few "rocket mans" from a box that was raised with the gate closed.

Trent, with your ability, if you could run with me for two weeks, I could have you doing things with a ten wheeler that you wouldn't believe possible. In the area that I live, we have had to gravel, then come back and pave roads so steep that a billy goat could not stand up on. Steep enough at times that you would barely have to extend the hoist. I was on such a road in a sub division once, with a load of asphalt, when a couple of the guys that I worked with showed up with crusher run. They had to back up the hill I was on, then run up an even steeper drive to a house site. I wondered for a moment what the heck are they doing, that is just a new cut, no place to turn around, not even a pad for a house, the hoist would not go high enough to spread any thing if they could turn around. As I watched, the second truck started to raise the hoist just a little, and backed off the mountain spreading gravel. When he was out of the way the first truck backed over the first load, and picked up where he had left off, and finished the drive. It looked like it had been finished with a motor grader. Sometimes, for instance when freshening a forestry service road there is no dozer, or grader. If you screw up, you might have to shovel your way out.

I think what he wants to do is change his pto setup from a side mount to a rear mount so he won't have to put the tran in gear to raise the bed,so to answer your question,it's not an easy changeover because the trany has to be equipped to accept a rear mount pto,the end of one of the idler shafts has to have splines,hope this helps.