100% Mack

Was just wondering if there are any advantages of ordering a 100% Mack. Are Mack rears alot better than competitors? Drove a 95 with a mack trans. shifts nice, but seems like theres alot of distance between gears. Are the new Mack trans. this way, or are the gears closer together like a fuller?

cxn613 the answer to your question is this YES the biggest advantage to an all MACK drive line is there is only one vender to deal with if there is a warranty issue or if you simply need parts and or service. If the truck is under warranty Mack's 100% parts and labor warranty is hands down the best. I own a 2001 CX-613 Vision myself and while it has been a very trouble free truck I have had issues with the Eaton rears. If they had been under warranty I would have had to take the truck to an eaton dealer to have the work carried out or at the least go through a hassle before having the work performed. Do your home work before specing the truck..Mack now has rear axles with up to 3.11 rear ratio. that is a very tall ratio so if speed or good fuel milage is an issue and it is for most of us check them out. Not to mention the straight through drive line with near 0 degree drive line angle. I have found that alot of dealers DO NOT stay current on the latest MACK products so like I said do your home work. Good luck.

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

I concur...it is nice to look up parts on a 100% Mack! For one thing, most Mack dealers stock more Mack parts...so if you have eaton front axle and meritor rears, chances are that the parts are going to be harder to find when needed. If you have a Mack front axle, Mack rears and a Mack Tranny...We (dealers) probably have all the parts on stock or less than 1 day away!

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

I agree. There is nothing like 100% Mack. Would you order a Chevorlet truck with a Ford motor or rearend? No of course not. But that is what your doing when you spec a Mack with other vendor components. If you want oddball components ( CAT, DETROIT, Cummins, Eaton, Meritor,) buy a Peterbilt because it has the best resale value of the BRAND X trucks, but if you want something with the best resale value on the market, you get a Mack that is 100%.

Go with Mack components, especially if your job calls for anything tougher than cruising the interstates at 80,000 pounds GCW. Eaton, Meritor, etc. stuff is OK for that kind of light duty, but won't last as long as Mack components in tougher applications. For example, the Postal Service bought Macks with Eaton tandemns for tough inner city service- the Eaton power dividers failed like clockwork at around 350,000 to 400,000 miles. Even if your truck is going to live an easy life on the Interstates, Mack's overbuilt components will last longer... Note that Eaton will only sell you an extended warranty to 750,000 miles. That means you can expect an expensive rebuild not much after that, while Mack drivelines routinely last past a million miles.

• 4 weeks later...

100 percent mack...............phhht.... volvo motors aint 100% mack. rebadge it any way ya want but it is malvo now. it breaks my heart.heard a whisper in aus that vulva are cosidering rebadging the 2013 line of mack truck as volvos ......any one on here shed any light on this? and it came from a good source.

I don't know about Australia, but here in the States, Mack (Volvo) just spent a pile of money to promote the Mack brand identity at the opening of the new Customer Reception Center, at a time when money is very tight.

As far as the engine is concerned, I think they have a very good product, call it Mack, call it Volvo or whatever, and I think when all the "new" (EPA2010) engines get some miles under their belts, I think the MP engines are going to take their place among the best.

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/

i would think if they were going to do that they would have to change all the part numbers to valva

That plan has been underway for awhile now. A lot of the old Mack part numbers are already changed over to World ID (W.I.D) numbers.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

I WILL NOT BUY A VOLVO!!!!!! I WILL BUY A KENWORTH FIRST.....ARE YOU LISTENING VOLVO??????????

IF I wanted a vovo I would buy a vovo.....What yall no speaky no english?

A Kenworth with a DAF engine?????????

I don't know about Australia, but here in the States, Mack (Volvo) just spent a pile of money to promote the Mack brand identity at the opening of the new Customer Reception Center, at a time when money is very tight.

As far as the engine is concerned, I think they have a very good product, call it Mack, call it Volvo or whatever, and I think when all the "new" (EPA2010) engines get some miles under their belts, I think the MP engines are going to take their place among the best.

Thank You, Dave. Well said. I would consider you to be somewhat of an authority on the subject. The :mack1: brand name is too valuable to be eliminated. If not for Volvo's R & D and financial strength, the :mack1: name would be gone already. Like it or not guys, the steps we have seen toward integrated products are necessary to be competitive in the global economy of the 21st century.

Gregg

Its really a non event.. The Mack brand will remain, the good source is yanking your chain...

In Australia it wouldnt work to rebadge vehicles..

You could in theory bring in North American Volvos and sell them but then that would make it even more competative than it is today.

And yes we speak english...

And I think we have done some good things with the Mack Product... and there are some really cool things to come..

Euro 5 for Mack in Australia will kick some ass

100% Mack is a reality in the future.. if the background is shared components is that so bad..

Is a Kenworth 100% Kenworth or is it a bitsa...

Just for the record,in 2011 there is really no such thing as a "100 percent" Mack truck available for order,parts numbers are going to W.I.D (world ID) in line with Vulvas global marketing strategy,not an intirely bad idea (in my opinion) but an "all mack "has gone the way of KW,Peterbilt (PACCAR), International-harvester,(Navistar) Freightliner (who knows?) etc. I am sure that the Mack name/brand will endure for a LONG,LONG time as it has become part of American tradition and popular culture........The phrase "Built like a mack truck" means just that!........Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Sadly im sceptical about its survival? and agree Volvo is the only thing keeping it afloat. I dont see any large fleets switching to Mack. Many long time mack fleets went to paccar in the past 10 years and few looked back. others went cheep and bought FL,Sterlings. I think Mack has made some improvements over the years but they seam to make more bad choices than good? (Volvo pushing most of them) I understand why they have parts shareing and shared platforms but alot of the die hard mack people dont like the other changes that were made. I hear of the lack of spec options that were once availible, the EPA issues, relocating/ letting go those who worked at mack for years. trucks that dont perform as well as other mfg, these are just some reasons that have lead the company down hill fast.

Setting aside my old school roots I still think that Mack needs to brand themselves better. they have shown more positive sides lately but they still have that odd ball, fleet spec,cheep truck image. I know lots of mack owners that really dont like the looks of the new mack but they are just die hard mack owners and continue to buy them. I still think the line up is lacking.

tMack have 2 kinds of trucks

1)garbage trucks

2)dump trucks.... Period

The on road trucks are just dump trucks on a volvo frame with some stainless added to them, the titan was an absolute failure. The idea was brillant but the out come clearly failed. Its lack of styling,no sleeper options, high price, to name a few, are way out of line compaired to other mfg.

When I see all these other MFG building classic looking trucks seprate from their aero trucks I just scratch my head watching

mack trying to use one model and mold it into 3. GM tried that 20 years ago and look how that all turned out

hope im wrong...and this is just my .02

Trent

Sadly im sceptical about its survival? and agree Volvo is the only thing keeping it afloat. I dont see any large fleets switching to Mack. Many long time mack fleets went to paccar in the past 10 years and few looked back. others went cheep and bought FL,Sterlings. I think Mack has made some improvements over the years but they seam to make more bad choices than good? (Volvo pushing most of them) I understand why they have parts shareing and shared platforms but alot of the die hard mack people dont like the other changes that were made. I hear of the lack of spec options that were once availible, the EPA issues, relocating/ letting go those who worked at mack for years. trucks that dont perform as well as other mfg, these are just some reasons that have lead the company down hill fast.

Setting aside my old school roots I still think that Mack needs to brand themselves better. they have shown more positive sides lately but they still have that odd ball, fleet spec,cheep truck image. I know lots of mack owners that really dont like the looks of the new mack but they are just die hard mack owners and continue to buy them. I still think the line up is lacking.

tMack have 2 kinds of trucks

1)garbage trucks

2)dump trucks.... Period

The on road trucks are just dump trucks on a volvo frame with some stainless added to them, the titan was an absolute failure. The idea was brillant but the out come clearly failed. Its lack of styling,no sleeper options, high price, to name a few, are way out of line compaired to other mfg.

When I see all these other MFG building classic looking trucks seprate from their aero trucks I just scratch my head watching

mack trying to use one model and mold it into 3. GM tried that 20 years ago and look how that all turned out

hope im wrong...and this is just my .02

Trent

What i wanted to say only better!...................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Well for my two bucks worth we see designs changed from what could be termed as robust to what the marketing people see as required for Brand image.

If Mack could stand alone it would be a mighty effort.. but then my Volvo heritage would say find your own engines/ gearboxes etc etc ad the costs for that alone would end the brand.

I see some choices on Mack products that have been driven by Mack that have not worked well in the long term.. they were driven by the heart and not the head.. I am optimistic.. my future depends on it.. In Oz the common group engine now has more power, the Mdrive seems to be eagerly awaited..

OK its been a challenge to keep the heritage of twin vertical stacks in keeping with brand requirments.. would have been cheaper and more robust to have a single low outlet but thats not what a Mack should look like..

What i wanted to say only better!...................Mark

Amen!

I agree 100%. Let me add that Mack needs to move beyond the traditional markets, even if they canabalize Volvo. For example, since moving to rural Minnesota I learned that the agricultural market is huge and booming, yet Mack is ignoring it. Mack needs an ag marketing effort, appearing at the big ag shows and showing off the product. Set up an ag website, complete with a cute as hell u-tube cartoon of the bulldog mixing it up with the barnyard animals. And to really prove what a Mack can do, freely seed demo trucks around farm country, and challenge all comers to outpull them at the county fairs, etc.!