Want To Buy A Pickup

ThaddeusW

So my van is equipped with a 5.7 V8 gasser with a pathetic 330 ft/lbs. That paired with the low rear ratio makes for crappy towing. The 10k tow rating is for the diesel or big block 8100 V8 and taller rear. For a long time I have wanted a pickup but didn't have the money but after having a job for a year and saving I am pretty much ready to buy. Also the fact that I have been driving that ugly beat up van for about 3 years is starting to frustrate me.

My requirements are: 4x4, 1 ton, Diesel (Pre EPA 2007!) and crew cab. So that leaves me with the big three: GM, Ford and Dodge. We have always been partial to GMC/Chevy and I like the Silverado's Duramax-Allison combo as anyone can drive it. But the Cummins with a 6 speed is also a very tempting combination as well. A dually in the city is impractical so standard single rear tire would be my preference. As for the Ford's, I like the sound of their V8, sounds like a baby E9 and the Fords look good too (My Grandpa was a Ford man).

As of now I think a Silverado 3500 Duramax with an Allison auto is the way to go (blue is a sweet color). Any opinions? My second choice would be a Dodge Cummins with a 6 speed manual but I would prefer that combo in a dually. And finally my third choice would be a Ford Powerstroke. I prefer a more modern model too, 1998-2006 is ideal. I wonder if these demands could be met for the $20,000 range.

I know pickups are pretty much a religion, everyone thinks their brand/engine is the best but I know there has to be some informative information out there.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I would kinda suggest to think real hard about a ford. We have the 6.0 liter in our ambulances and they just seem to have problems. Yes we are a little harder on them than most but that means problems show up sooner also. It isn't the engine itself usually but sensors,EGR valve,injectors,glow plugs,filters,etc. Some sensors will put you down now,no warning,and no way to bypass and limp home. The biggest problem was a couple of trucks in the fleet went through head gaskets and turbos. There are some of the later 6.4 liter engines on the road but I have no experience as they are on the other side of the state. The company just bought 30 new rigs with the V10 gas engine because of the diesel problems and they will be converted to propane or CNG in some areas. My part-time boss a few years ago had 2 new Dodge tow trucks. Both were 6.7 cummins with the new automatic and the engine brake. Nice running and steady,strong torque,like a docile locomotive. One is a 4500 2wd and the other is a 5500 4wd. The only problem that I heard of was complaints about the huge smoke cloud when it did a particulate burn off. Think white steam like smoke that is so intense that you can't see behind you at all. It makes you think that something is seriously wrong. I don't have any experience with the GM duramax engine because I don't know anybody that has one. My GM friends have the newer 5.3 gas engine and are thrilled to death with it. If money was no issue,but it is,I would get a dodge mega cab with the long bed conversion,diesel,6 speed manual tranny,and 4wd. I don't have too many issues with driving a large pickup in the city. I have figured out the turns and parking needs a long time ago.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

I would kinda suggest to think real hard about a ford. We have the 6.0 liter in our ambulances and they just seem to have problems. Yes we are a little harder on them than most but that means problems show up sooner also. It isn't the engine itself usually but sensors,EGR valve,injectors,glow plugs,filters,etc. Some sensors will put you down now,no warning,and no way to bypass and limp home. The biggest problem was a couple of trucks in the fleet went through head gaskets and turbos. There are some of the later 6.4 liter engines on the road but I have no experience as they are on the other side of the state. The company just bought 30 new rigs with the V10 gas engine because of the diesel problems and they will be converted to propane or CNG in some areas. My part-time boss a few years ago had 2 new Dodge tow trucks. Both were 6.7 cummins with the new automatic and the engine brake. Nice running and steady,strong torque,like a docile locomotive. One is a 4500 2wd and the other is a 5500 4wd. The only problem that I heard of was complaints about the huge smoke cloud when it did a particulate burn off. Think white steam like smoke that is so intense that you can't see behind you at all. It makes you think that something is seriously wrong. I don't have any experience with the GM duramax engine because I don't know anybody that has one. My GM friends have the newer 5.3 gas engine and are thrilled to death with it. If money was no issue,but it is,I would get a dodge mega cab with the long bed conversion,diesel,6 speed manual tranny,and 4wd. I don't have too many issues with driving a large pickup in the city. I have figured out the turns and parking needs a long time ago.

That's the kinda info I am looking for!

I did some basic research and it apears that the Ford/IH Powerstroke isnt the best of the bunch. If you look up diesel mods you will see very little offered for the Powerstroke but plenty for the Duramax and Cummins. I was reading that you can lift the heads on a Powerstroke with extra boost, something that does not affect the other two. I doubt I ever will mod the engine, BUT that is a good indicator of engine durability. And out of the three the Cummins appears to be the best (No surprise there). I want to avoid the crappy EPA nonsense and the 2006 dodge did come with the Megacab so there is potential there. If I were rich I would get both a Chevy dually with an Allison and a Dodge dually with the 6 speed. But since I aint, I would go with a Chevy/GMC 3500 (not a dually) and Allison auto. I guess you could say its my starter truck.

I like the Megacab but would that prevent you from towing a goose neck trailer? That is an option I want to keep open.

As for driving around the city: The dually is quite wide, not a problem for me in the least but the streets here are narrow. And I don't really need that much carrying capacity. Length is no problem, I already drive all over in an extended 3500 GMC Savanna van which is a few inches shorter then a full size pickup. And yes I can find parking for it in Manhattan! It would also not be able to squeeze into my driveway, this is Queens, homes were built on top of each other before automobiles were common. And the most lame part of living in NY is they force you to enclose the bed with a cap if its a heavy duty pickup and the unladen weight is over 5000 pounds (So no stacks). NY state really sucks sometimes. I am jealous of you guys in states with lax vehicle registration laws (gun laws too :-).

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I did some basic research and it apears that the Ford/IH Powerstroke isnt the best of the bunch. If you look up diesel mods you will see very little offered for the Powerstroke but plenty for the Duramax and Cummins. I was reading that you can lift the heads on a Powerstroke with extra boost, something that does not affect the other two. I doubt I ever will mod the engine, BUT that is a good indicator of engine durability. And out of the three the Cummins appears to be the best (No surprise there). I want to avoid the crappy EPA nonsense and the 2006 dodge did come with the Megacab so there is potential there. If I were rich I would get both a Chevy dually with an Allison and a Dodge dually with the 6 speed. But since I aint, I would go with a Chevy/GMC 3500 (not a dually) and Allison auto. I guess you could say its my starter truck.

I like the Megacab but would that prevent you from towing a goose neck trailer? That is an option I want to keep open.

As for driving around the city: The dually is quite wide, not a problem for me in the least but the streets here are narrow. And I don't really need that much carrying capacity. Length is no problem, I already drive all over in an extended 3500 GMC Savanna van which is a few inches shorter then a full size pickup. And yes I can find parking for it in Manhattan! It would also not be able to squeeze into my driveway, this is Queens, homes were built on top of each other before automobiles were common. And the most lame part of living in NY is they force you to enclose the bed with a cap if its a heavy duty pickup and the unladen weight is over 5000 pounds (So no stacks). NY state really sucks sometimes. I am jealous of you guys in states with lax vehicle registration laws (gun laws too :-).

What is the purpose of forcing one to cover the bed? It is a truck...intended to haul stuff. Can't do that if the bed is covered.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Thaddeus I had a 2005 F350 Powerstroke and traded it back in for a 2006 Megacab Dodge w/Cummins & auto trans due to problems with the Powerstroke and love the Dodge. The Cummins gets much better fuel mileage and so far the only problem I've had with the Dodge was a busted AC condenser. The short bed is no problem for my gooseneck and I pull around 12,000-14,000 payload when I load it.

Thaddeus I had a 2005 F350 Powerstroke and traded it back in for a 2006 Megacab Dodge w/Cummins & auto trans due to problems with the Powerstroke and love the Dodge. The Cummins gets much better fuel mileage and so far the only problem I've had with the Dodge was a busted AC condenser. The short bed is no problem for my gooseneck and I pull around 12,000-14,000 payload when I load it.

i didn't know you could own a class 8 and still have a pickup, or anything else.........

"NY state really sucks sometimes. I am jealous of you guys in states with lax vehicle registration laws (gun laws too :-)."

After looking at the returns from the elections, it doesn't look good for those of you in states that are run by puppets that are owned by the unions. Eg NY and CA. No one learned anything from round one with Commo and Brown, they just signed up for round two. You know what they say about those who don't learn from history. Good luck.

Yeah, can't figure NYS. I have a 88 Dodge 3/4 ton, The passenger plates required a stand up cap and a pair of permantly fixed seats witrh belts. The weight is unladen and don't put a load in it. you'll get a citation. I left my commercial tags on it for my trips to the dump. N.Y.C. is even worst on enforcement of the cap law. they'll tag you at the bridges and tunnels.

Truck wise I have a few friends with the Duramax and they love it. The Dodge with the Cumins is a trouble free unit too. I trhink bottom line would be what you like and what is available. My Dodge has a 5.9 Cumins, first year it was available in the Dodge with a heavy duty 4 speed stick . A side from injectors and a starter, no problems in 150,000 miles and 22 years. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

The older Dodge/Cummins combo has issues with the fuel pumps. There are aftermarket pumps that seem to have a longer lifespan. The Cummins did have a $1.00 flaw that could cause catastrophic failure. There is a locating dowel in the front timing cover that would loosen and fall. Some would fall harmlessly to the pan and others (most) would get caught in the timing gears and gernade them. There are easy ways to fix both and neither would keep me from an older Cummins. The best Ford diesel was the pre '95 trucks. The '95 and newer 7.3 powerstroke had issues with the glow plug/injector harness that is inside the valve cover. They would overheat due to small gauge wire and burn up or burn up the gasket it went through.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

For the cats meow, go with an '06 or '07...360hp w/a 6sp Ally. But I doubt you'd touch one for $20,000. The '01 and '02 Duramaxes had problems with injectors and a warranty has been extended to 200,000 miles for injector replacement on those...I'd assume most have been updated.

I really haven't heard much good from Ford since the 7.3.

The Cummins engines in the Dodges are the only good thing about a Dodge.

IF you are looking for a regular cab, I've got a 2005 I'd sell you...Duramax w/Allison, 102,000 miles...gooseneck, trailer brakes and the whole 9.

edit: I re-read your post, I see you want a crew cab, dammit.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

I've never been able to justify a diesel powered light truck. I've heard the argument many times of the increased economy, durability, and other benefits of owning a diesel powered light truck. While this very well may true if the truck consistently pulls in excess of 10,000 pounds, I just can't reconcile the extra cost of initial acquisition, twice the oil content and filters with no extension of drain interval, the vibration, noise, and smell that are there no matter how it's sliced.

When I purchased the "Trusty, yet crusty" Dodge, the upcharge for the Cummins diesel was just over $4800.00 above the V10 upgrade purchased. I understand it is more than that now. However, I've put over 210,000 miles on the clock and the truck still sports everything original except tires, brakes, front end parts, rear end clutch plates and fluids. I did replace the radiator also. This truck has had 20,000# plus on an 8300# gooseneck trailer many more times than I can count at a greater distance than 250 miles from home. In the spare times it pulls my 9000# skid steer around on it's heavy little trailer. To this day the truck neither leaks or uses any fluids other than gasoline, (and it likes that).

Every Dodge I've had through the shop with the approximate same number of miles as mine, has had mostly the same things replaced, so my belief is cemented further. While it is true that I get about 10mpg empty with no trailer attached, and about 4.5 with the above mentioned loading, I'm not certain I've spent in gasoline costs the difference of the diesel engine with it's higher maintenance costs figured in. I consistently use Valvoline 10W-30 oil, and Carquest "Blue" filters that are made by Wix. Always have. The oil has been changed at 5000 mile drain intervals and remains relatively clear on the dipstick. The transmission and rear axle is drained every 24,000 miles, or bi-annually. Most light trucks with a diesel are on either their 2nd, or third clutch assemby, or transmission.

I didn't purchase the truck because it was popular, in vogue, or just plain cool. It was purchased to work and this it has done admirably. Actually still looks pretty good too although repainted after a couple of deer hits.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.