Changing Truck Tyres

Gday, i know it can be a difficult thing to answer but how hard is it to change old for new tyres - 10.00 x 20. Is it bloody hard or just takes a fair bit of time. ive got some tyres (rags) to fit and tyre companies want a fortune just to fit em, as they only want to sell new ones. any input would be appreciated, ive changed car and mower tyres only.

ta ellis

Gday, i know it can be a difficult thing to answer but how hard is it to change old for new tyres - 10.00 x 20. Is it bloody hard or just takes a fair bit of time. ive got some tyres (rags) to fit and tyre companies want a fortune just to fit em, as they only want to sell new ones. any input would be appreciated, ive changed car and mower tyres only.

ta ellis

[/quote

Even with the proper tools, they can sometimes be rather irritating. If the tires have been unused and dismounted long enough to have dried out, it could be more difficult. Working with a two piece rim, rim locks, inner tubes, and flaps, is not that difficult, but it is not the time or place to get in a hurry. Your first, and primary concern should be your own personal safety. Inflation of the newly mounted tire is somewhat dangerous. You should take the time to watch someone dismount, and mount this type tire, and have them talk you through the process. It is something that is done all the time, you can learn to be good at it, if you want.

If you are dealing with split rims I would chain them incase they decide to come apart, if you dont have split rims not an issue. I have had tractor tires that you could not break the bead with out a machine, and others that break down and come apart real easy. Dont know until you try.

If you are dealing with split rims I would chain them incase they decide to come apart, if you dont have split rims not an issue. I have had tractor tires that you could not break the bead with out a machine, and others that break down and come apart real easy. Dont know until you try.

Safety,,safety,,,safety,,cant stress that enough! I never was very talented with tires, watch people that do it every day and they dont have much trouble. I guess its just something takes practice. I really dont mind paying to have it done, too much huffing and puffing and straining in it for me, lot of room for injuries too, back, toes, eyes,,etc. Just be careful,,,,randy

ta ellis

Just switch to 11R22.5 tyres and make your life simpler and safer. You might have to change the spacer band but other then that 11R22.5's are DIRECT replacements for 10.00R20's, same dimensions, inflation pressures and weight rating. Only difference is the rim width, 10.00R20's take a 7.5 rim and 11R22.5's take a 8.25 rim so that is why you might need a new spacer band.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

If you don't have a cage, wrap a chain through the wheel and around the tire a couple of times as JD 5020 said. Or you can mount them on the drive axles and then fill with air. That way if the wheel comes apart the ring is stopped by the tire next to it. Many have been killed by airing up with the tire on the ground or the ring coming off a steering tire because the ring is on the outside.

• 3 weeks later...

ta ellis

Let me say that I spent over 25 years in the tire industry, and have extensive experience in every aspect, from construction to serviceing tires/rims from wheel burrow on up to aircraft, and virtually everything in between.

The pressure inside a tire is capable of doing as much damage as dynamite. Do not attempt airing multi piece rims/wheels with out proper training. Placing a chain around the tire /rim assembly may containe the assembly while airing, but I've seen these assmblies come apart after the airing process. Tightening the mounting lug nuts can create enough flex in the assembly if it is not pefectly assembled to come apart in a massive explosion. This is a lethal explosion with enough power to cause fatal damage to the human body.

If you are wanting to stay with the origanal equipment tube type tire look ( 10:00x20 ) or (10:00 x 22), Then You should take these assemplies to a comercial tire center, which you should expect to pay no more than $40.00 per dismount/mount.

These multi piece rim/wheel assemblies may be rusted some, have hairline cracks, etc, and it would be very unadvisable for you to attempt changing these type of split rims if you have no experience with them. The cost is justified by possibly saving your life or limb.

TAKE NOTE !!!! The amount of energy power inside that tire when airing = the amount of square inches inside the tire x the nuber of pounds of air installed , psi = pounds per sqaure inch.

This equasion should tell you that you have a bomb in the making, and it will kill you given a chance.

On the other hand, if you are just looking to put some rubber on the truck and being era correct is not an issue, do as another suggested here, and go to the (11x22.5 ) bias ply tire, or the (11 R x 22.5) radial ply tire and sinlgle piece tubless assembly. You should expect to pay no more than $50.00 each for the used tubless wheels, or around $100.00 for new ones These tubless rims are not multi piece, and so long as the bead area is lubricated prior to airing, they are very safe , even for the novice tire man. As the other man suggested, you will needs to be certain that the rim spacers bands that is adequate to allow for proper tightening of the lug nuts. You can buy these spacers new for under $50.00 each, or you can use longer wedges .

Just switch to 11R22.5 tyres and make your life simpler and safer. You might have to change the spacer band but other then that 11R22.5's are DIRECT replacements for 10.00R20's, same dimensions, inflation pressures and weight rating. Only difference is the rim width, 10.00R20's take a 7.5 rim and 11R22.5's take a 8.25 rim so that is why you might need a new spacer band.

That's the route I took with the mixer. Bought used tubeless wheels for $40 each and put 11R22.5's on it and got away from the old tube type tires and split rims. The old spacers and wedges all worked fine for me.

Some tire shops won't even fool with the split rims anymore, they can be very dangerous if the lock ring blows off!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Thanks for the informative replies, just what i was after. In my case its not cost effective to put on the 11 x 22.5 tyres, if i was using truck commercially i would, and got the 10.00x20 tyres very cheap. Seems not only are the old macks a lot cheaper in usa but parts/service as well. I will pay to get them fitted now, not worth the risk as youve mentioned, cheapest price ive managed to get here is $60 tyre-dismount/mount, but still be the better option. thanks again for great replies.

cheers ellis

Let me say that I spent over 25 years in the tire industry, and have extensive experience in every aspect, from construction to serviceing tires/rims from wheel burrow on up to aircraft, and virtually everything in between.

The pressure inside a tire is capable of doing as much damage as dynamite. Do not attempt airing multi piece rims/wheels with out proper training. Placing a chain around the tire /rim assembly may containe the assembly while airing, but I've seen these assmblies come apart after the airing process. Tightening the mounting lug nuts can create enough flex in the assembly if it is not pefectly assembled to come apart in a massive explosion. This is a lethal explosion with enough power to cause fatal damage to the human body.

If you are wanting to stay with the origanal equipment tube type tire look ( 10:00x20 ) or (10:00 x 22), Then You should take these assemplies to a comercial tire center, which you should expect to pay no more than $40.00 per dismount/mount.

These multi piece rim/wheel assemblies may be rusted some, have hairline cracks, etc, and it would be very unadvisable for you to attempt changing these type of split rims if you have no experience with them. The cost is justified by possibly saving your life or limb.

TAKE NOTE !!!! The amount of energy power inside that tire when airing = the amount of square inches inside the tire x the nuber of pounds of air installed , psi = pounds per sqaure inch.

This equasion should tell you that you have a bomb in the making, and it will kill you given a chance.

On the other hand, if you are just looking to put some rubber on the truck and being era correct is not an issue, do as another suggested here, and go to the (11x22.5 ) bias ply tire, or the (11 R x 22.5) radial ply tire and sinlgle piece tubless assembly. You should expect to pay no more than $50.00 each for the used tubless wheels, or around $100.00 for new ones These tubless rims are not multi piece, and so long as the bead area is lubricated prior to airing, they are very safe , even for the novice tire man. As the other man suggested, you will needs to be certain that the rim spacers bands that is adequate to allow for proper tightening of the lug nuts. You can buy these spacers new for under $50.00 each, or you can use longer wedges .

I read an article where a man was killed when a 14.00R20 exploded in his face. The force of the blast threw him across the shop and the impact from locking ring and rim flange is what killed him. I believe it was later revealed that the locking ring was put on backwards.

I was afraid of our little 7.25-20 tube tires on our GMC. I stood clear and used a pressure regulator to fill them by means of a locking air chuck.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

the split ring tires can be dangerious i leave the tires on the ground and air them up to about 10 psi just to make sure the lock ring is centered and then i put them in the cage but this is not a sure way to mount them we have still had them come apart like that. about 4 mos ago one of my good friends was airing a tire up with the owner watching him everything was going fine and then boom it came apart it broke his arm, cut off his finger, dislocated and tore ligamits/tendons in his shoulder,and put a cut on the top of his head shaped like the lock ring where it hit him. the only thing that kept him alive was the good lord above most people that this happens to arent so blessed. even though i do everything i can to make mounting them safe as poss it still scares me just thinking about what can happen the cages are a good thing but we have destroyed one whih just 1 tire coming apart .. joe

• 2 months later...

ELLIS, PLEASE TAKE THOSE SPLIT RIMS OFF AND DAMAGE THEM BEYOND REPAIR AS THEY ARE CALLED WIDOW MAKERS AND FOR A GOOD REASON MY FATHER WAS KILLED BY THESE RIMS AS I SAT ON THE GUARD OF B61 MY FATHER OWNED IN 1971, ALSO MY FONDEST MEMORIES OF MY FATHER ARE IN A B MODEL AND ALSO MY WORST BUT AS YOU KNOW I NOW OWN ONE BECAUSE I WANT THE FOND MEMORIES BACK. PLEASE THROW THEM AWAY DAMAGED AS THEY WILL COME APART BECAUSE THEY RUST AND DO NOT SEAT PROPERLY ANY MORE JUST RUN RADIALS ON THERE PUT UP WITH IT SAFETY FIRST ALWAYS NOBODY SHOULD COMPLAIN ABOUT IT WHEN RESTORING SUCH A VEHICLE THANKS GEARBOX

:SMOKIE-LFT:

I was an oiler/tire man for a construction and paving outfit for a while,but never had a bit of trouble with split rims,but,see,I had a little secret. I had heard all the scary stories too,so I cost the boss a small fortune in replacement parts. Every time I broke a wheel down and found a damaged or noticeably worn part,i tossed it and sidelined the wheel until the boss brought me a new part,then I'd finish the assembly,leave the valve core out,set a loader bucket on the wheel and give it about 10 pounds of air to shake out any folds or kinks in the tube,let it drain,put the core back in,and attach the clip on chuck I made,with a 10 foot hose between the chuck and the inflate valve. I'd leave it where it was until the next wheel was ready to inflate then put the completed back in line. The boss told me,after a couple months of this "You're costing me a mint in lock rings!" I just told him,"That's nothing compared to what it'd cost you if a wheel comes apart because of a damaged part!" He never complained again.

Now I don't do much truck tire work,it's too hard without the proper tools. I tried putting an 1100R-22.5 on a wheel for my dump truck a while back and finally gave up. You really are better off just paying a shop to do 'em. Besides,they're equipped to deal with all the little quirks and problems that arise when we really,absolutely HAVE to make it work before dark.

Speed

:SMOKIE-RT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

• 3 weeks later...

Chains, bars, loader buckets, etc,. This is not wise.

If you had no experience in deactivating a bomb, I think You would not attempt it.

If you had no experience with nitro ,I think you would not play with it.

If you had no experience in flying a plane or helicoptor, I think You would not attempt it.

If you had no experience jumping off a cliff, I think you would not jump .

If you have no experience with Women, don't get married.

If you value your family, your arms , your legs ,your eyes, your neck,your brain ,YOUR LIFE, and You have no experience with split rim/lock ring type tire/rim/wheel assemblies , PLEASE...don't take a foolish chance . Hire a trained shop or mobile tire service tech to do the job for you.

This not like trying to fly a kite , or drive a two stick transmission, or trouble shoot an elctrical system. One error, one mistake, one foolish oversight , AND YOU ARE GOING TO BE DIS-FIGURED FOR LIFE OR KILLED DEAD.

One thing about a tubless tire everyone should be aware of now that winter an cold weather is comming. Never take a tubless tire out of a heated garage an try to mount it an air it up on a cold rim esp. a alum. disk rim I've seen one pop off an knock a guy out cold, not as bad as a tube tire but still something to be aware of

BULLHUSK

Split rim tires are good, I've been running big 24 inch tube type rubber since I got into trucking going on 17 years now. You just have to pay attention to safety while servicing them. My opinion if you have no experience with split rim tires...take them to a shop and have a pro mount them for you. Better safe then sorry

• 2 weeks later...