My New Toy , 1974 Dm897Sx Tractor

Well after hounding the owner for close to 8 years shes finally comming home on Saturday , Its a 1974 DM897sx, full triple frame, 65 rears, 23 front, ENDT 866, 12 speed, huge Bradon winch, and to top it all off, air start , get ready neighbors, frame has very lil rust considering its been in Connecticut its whole life , orig. owners were Arute Brothers corp. I cant wait to take her on her maiden journey 10 miles to my house , I will be looking for any good to mint condition body parts, cab , and front bumper if anyone knows of or has any of these parts???

Brian

Edited by bad1989gt1

Guest 45LMSWM

That's a nice score. Congratulations!!! Gotta love those DM800s, and its a big one, to boot!

Arute Bros had a lot of stuff at one time. There is a restored(?) FKSW out there from them, and an LMSWM tractor has been saved in CT. There were also a bunch of LJs from them up at Yaworski Brother's yard in Canterbury.

Good luck with it!

-John

That's a nice score. Congratulations!!! Gotta love those DM800s, and its a big one, to boot!

Arute Bros had a lot of stuff at one time. There is a restored(?) FKSW out there from them, and an LMSWM tractor has been saved in CT. There were also a bunch of LJs from them up at Yaworski Brother's yard in Canterbury.

Good luck with it!

-John

Hey John you dont know of any good cabs or body parts down your way do you ?

Guest 45LMSWM

Hey John you dont know of any good cabs or body parts down your way do you ?

That's a tough question. Every now and then we get lucky with new parts from our Mack Dealer. They always tell us that this is the "last one available" and then a year or two later, they wind up finding more somewhere. We bought a couple of hoods and some fenders like that. Each time, they told us that they were the "last ones in the world."

A & A Truck Parts in Freehold might have some stuff laying around. He scrapped quite a few DM800s over the past few years, mostly concrete trucks, but he might have some stuff that's better than what you have. A. Devino Inc. in Newark may have some pieces as well, like cabs, doors, etc.

None of the three we have were ever really beat up. They have some rot and some cab cracking they developed over the years, but no dents and nothing was mangled. You can have some of the parts made new, like bumpers and fender panels, for less than you could buy them for, too.

Again, good luck with it. Looks like a cool truck.

-John

That's a tough question. Every now and then we get lucky with new parts from our Mack Dealer. They always tell us that this is the "last one available" and then a year or two later, they wind up finding more somewhere. We bought a couple of hoods and some fenders like that. Each time, they told us that they were the "last ones in the world."

A & A Truck Parts in Freehold might have some stuff laying around. He scrapped quite a few DM800s over the past few years, mostly concrete trucks, but he might have some stuff that's better than what you have. A. Devino Inc. in Newark may have some pieces as well, like cabs, doors, etc.

None of the three we have were ever really beat up. They have some rot and some cab cracking they developed over the years, but no dents and nothing was mangled. You can have some of the parts made new, like bumpers and fender panels, for less than you could buy them for, too.

Again, good luck with it. Looks like a cool truck.

-John

John do you know if a much newer say 1980 or 1990s Dm600 cab will work or does it have to be a DM800 cab?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 45LMSWM

John do you know if a much newer say 1980 or 1990s Dm600 cab will work or does it have to be a DM800 cab?

I'm not an expert on DM600s, but I was under the impression that they all had a doghouse in the cab, whereas the DM800s did not. This may not be the case with the later DM690s with the set back front axles. But I couldn't tell you if it would work or not.

Central Jersey recabbed their '75 DM897 in 1990, but they bought a brand new, full dressed cab from Mack, and that was a DM800 specific cab. You could go with a newer DM800 cab, but most of them are pretty whipped.

-John

• 2 weeks later...

I worked at Lexington Mack in Kentucky during the late seventies as a mechanics helper and steamed trucks prior to painting them. I saw an awful lot of those DM 800's as coal trucks.I know east Ky has got to be full of them.We are about 2 hours from coal country here in Lexington and most of that dealership sales had to do with coal trucks back then. I likes them alot . Please post pictures of your progress and look to east Ky for parts too!

• 3 weeks later...

Well after hounding the owner for close to 8 years shes finally comming home on Saturday , Its a 1974 DM897sx, full triple frame, 65 rears, 23 front, ENDT 866, 12 speed, huge Bradon winch, and to top it all off, air start , get ready neighbors, I think i did ok for $5,000 what do you guys think , frame has very lil rust considering its been in Connecticut its whole life , orig. owners were Arute Brothers corp. I cant wait to take her on her maiden journey 10 miles to my house , I will be looking for any good to mint condition body parts, cab , and front bumper if anyone knows of or has any of these parts???

Brian

Pretty awesome!! My R Model has the air start tank like that one, but it isnt air start.