King Pins:

Rob

How hard are the pins to get out in an FA-505, and FA-522 front axle? I've never pulled tapered pins before. The damned straight pins with a draw key can be a real bitch sometimes and I'm just wondering if I should build me a little press cause I really don't swing a sledge anymore.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

How hard are the pins to get out in an FA-505, and FA-522 front axle? I've never pulled tapered pins before. The damned straight pins with a draw key can be a real bitch sometimes and I'm just wondering if I should build me a little press cause I really don't swing a sledge anymore.

Rob

Usually not too bad. I use a 1"-1 1/4" drift welded to a long handle to knock them out, that way no one's hands are in harm's way. Have someone hold it for you and swing away! You probably know this, but just in case you don't, you need to seat the pin in the axle when you go back together with it. The best way I have found is to place the steering knuckle on the axle and get the pin in position, then jack up under the pin so all of the weight of the front of the truck is pushing down. After doing that smack the axle with a large sledge hammer. I usually repeat this 3-4 times to make sure the pin is tightly wedged in the eye of the axle. If it isn't the pin falls down and allows the steering knuckle to wear against the top of the axle eye. That will ruin an axle in pretty short order.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Usually not too bad. I use a 1"-1 1/4" drift welded to a long handle to knock them out, that way no one's hands are in harm's way. Have someone hold it for you and swing away! You probably know this, but just in case you don't, you need to seat the pin in the axle when you go back together with it. The best way I have found is to place the steering knuckle on the axle and get the pin in position, then jack up under the pin so all of the weight of the front of the truck is pushing down. After doing that smack the axle with a large sledge hammer. I usually repeat this 3-4 times to make sure the pin is tightly wedged in the eye of the axle. If it isn't the pin falls down and allows the steering knuckle to wear against the top of the axle eye. That will ruin an axle in pretty short order.

Thanks for your insight. I've done several sets in light, and medium duty trucks through the years but all have been straight pins. I always used two jacks. One jack a wide saddle floor jack, the second a 10 or 12 ton bottle jack to push directly on the pin via some type of adapter. This way the weight of the truck was to your advantage. Being straight pins, they always came out the top by "warming" the axle and jacking them out from the bottom. The floor jack was there to keep the truck from falling should the bottle jack slip. Them suckers sure can be stuck sometimes too......

Since hurting my back I'm being over cautious in what I do. What I used to grab without a second thought is not done any longer. Almost six months of lost work in the shop is not what I want to do again. I can get someone to knock on them if need be.

With the tapered pins they need to seat in the axle beam. Thanks for relaying this as I didn't know. As you said a couple of smart raps on the axle beam should take care of that.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob

Nikki will swing that sledge hammer for you-lure her with Jack Link's jerky. She's probably too old to fall for this, but when all my kids were small I needed some gravel in my driveway where I parked the truck. I ordered one big 24 ton boulder because it was cheaper and had it unloaded in the driveway. Then I gave all the kids a toy hammer and told them "enjoy your hammers-you can do whatever you want with them except beat on that big boulder in the driveway-I must be off now".

When I got back there was nothing but a big pile of gravel where the boulder was.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Nikki will swing that sledge hammer for you-lure her with Jack Link's jerky. She's probably too old to fall for this, but when all my kids were small I needed some gravel in my driveway where I parked the truck. I ordered one big 24 ton boulder because it was cheaper and had it unloaded in the driveway. Then I gave all the kids a toy hammer and told them "enjoy your hammers-you can do whatever you want with them except beat on that big boulder in the driveway-I must be off now".

When I got back there was nothing but a big pile of gravel where the boulder was.

Not 100% certain but reasonably sure they have graduated above my pranks like that; not that they were immune in the earlier days.

Rob

Had mine axle stripped to bare bones in less then 3 hrs and that was starting with jacking it up and taking off tires. I was AMAZED at how quickly I got it all apart(and not knowing what I was getting into). It was much quicker then any of my old I beam Ford trucks.

There is a cotter pin in the bottom of spindle, pull that and screw the cap and a few smacks it fell apart. I lost alot of pictures from the old site and my old computer when I had it all apart back in '02?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I am 100% sure that Nikki is WAY smarter than that. :D

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

She sure is- called Rob a jerk the other day. Momma done good raisin'her

Yeah, but twice since then she has told me I'm the most "awsome" dad.

Must be doing something right.

Rob

Well,,,,,,duh,,,,,you bought her a B model AND she has you working on it. Boy-oh-boy did momma train her right! :D:D:D

Yup, the things father's do for their little girls.

Rob

Yeah, but twice since then she has told me I'm the most "awsome" dad.

Must be doing something right.

Rob

Ha Ha in your sleep...ya ben dreaming again Rob......Rob, wakeup.....Rob are you going to wakeup today. :blink: You ben dreaming again haven't you? Ya done wet the bed again boy. I new I shoulda put the plastic sheets back on the bed now ya done soiled it again. What am I going to do with ya?

That was Momma talkin to him :pat:

mike

Ha Ha in your sleep...ya ben dreaming again Rob......Rob, wakeup.....Rob are you going to wakeup today. :blink: You ben dreaming again haven't you? Ya done wet the bed again boy. I new I shoulda put the plastic sheets back on the bed now ya done soiled it again. What am I going to do with ya?

That was Momma talkin to him :pat:

mike

Sheets are rubber with a drain tube to a bucket so I don't drown in my own pool of sweat.

Rob

Glenn, I kinda wondered what the spec was when I put it together. Kinda just winged it and seems to be fine after all these years. Keep thinking I want to jack it up and check it, but seem to always forget. Need to grease the front end this year anyway.

Greg, good to hear ya back on. Hope things are going alright for you now.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Greg, good to hear ya back on. Hope things are going alright for you now.

He just comes around to pick on me.

Rob