Teaching Myself To Sew:

Rob

Since having back problems and basically being "laid up". I've decided to take up a bit of a new hobby; sewing. With a used sewing machine, some thread, a friends button maker, some carpet remnants, with another friends expertise who is pretty good at embroidery, and the help of a fabric store, this is what I've come up with for one of my RL series trucks. The truck originally had red interior so I've elected to stay that way. I'm going to try to to do the cab back panel next. Both of the door cards are finished, but I'll probably remake the driver's door card as I got a little crooked in my stitching. I made it first as a trial run. Both of the bulldogs face forward when installed. I couldn't easily get the dogs embossed as original, so I went this route.

The black card is for my Project R-12. It has the standard silver/gray color full interior of the mid 1980's and I'm going to straight black for the interior.

I do have a lot of time in these and hopefully with a little experience, do faster in the future. I've never sewn before and my daughter is teaching me as she has time.

Hope you like.

Rob

post-78-127488071055_thumb.jpg

post-78-127488071351_thumb.jpg

post-78-127488071635_thumb.jpg

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The "patches" are not iron on. They are embroidered through the material.

It took five runs altering thread counts each time to not "buckle" the material during the process.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The "patches" are not iron on. They are embroidered through the material.

It took five runs altering thread counts each time to not "buckle" the material during the process.

Rob

Rob, It looks great. I was going to rip you some more but didn't have the heart but.....I laughed so hard, I riped my pants and now I need you to sew them up for me. :pat:

mike

Rob, It looks great. I was going to rip you some more but didn't have the heart but.....I laughed so hard, I riped my pants and now I need you to sew them up for me. :pat:

mike

heh,,heh,,you better take them off first Mike, not sure how Rob would react around your crotch with a needle,,,Randy

Hi rob,this is indeed a nice looking job! i have a couple questions.....what did you use for the "backing" cardboard,thin paneling? can something like this be accomplished with a "normal" sewing machine or does it require some type commercial machine? reason i ask is that my wife is a pretty fair hand at sewing,and i have a few similar projects in mind. She just did'nt know if her machine would stand up to the rigors of upholstery. I did'nt realize the patches were embroidery either,but they sure look sharp!......mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

SMOKIE-LFT.gif They look really good Rob, It probably took a lot of time and even more patience to do them.

Thanks Dan, it really did take a lot of patience. I've never sewn anything before and it took some scrap "projects" to get a place to start. Went through a few needles too.

I may not use these but rather some I make later. These look alright, but have a couple of flaws in them I now know how to work around.

Rob

Hi rob,this is indeed a nice looking job! i have a couple questions.....what did you use for the "backing" cardboard,thin paneling? can something like this be accomplished with a "normal" sewing machine or does it require some type commercial machine? reason i ask is that my wife is a pretty fair hand at sewing,and i have a few similar projects in mind. She just did'nt know if her machine would stand up to the rigors of upholstery. I did'nt realize the patches were embroidery either,but they sure look sharp!......mark

Hi Mark, the backer is what is called in some places, "Oil board" and other places, "cowl board". It is made for this purpose and waterproof. I have several friends that are into street rods and this is where the idea came to me from.

A household machine will not hold up to this. You need an industrial machine with a high punch force. I can't remember what size needle I was using as I went through so many and these are a couple of months old but I'll find out. The machine is a "Bradshaw" and came from a guy that retired from building interiors and convertible tops for years. It is all metal and very heavy. Also, completely manual in operation.

The embroidery actually started out as a decal. I have this decal that is about 12" wide, and 18" tall the dealers used to put on their front doors a lot. I had it digitized and my friend had it converted to a format his embroidery machines use. I have the dog facing left, and right. I have the seats for Project R-12 finished but I didn't do them. Another friend that does upholstery work actually made the seat covers after I had the material embroiderd over a year ago. I had a hell of a time getting the seats back. Unbeknownst to me, he wasn't paying his bills and a judgement went against his business, property, and everything in it!! I went to court three times to get my seats back!! With that behind me, I got to thinking that maybe I could do this myself so the saga started........

It has actually been fun spending time with my daughter and actually learning something.

Rob

Here is my passenger seat and arm rest for Project R-12. The driver's seat looks the same with the exception of the dog faces left.

Rob

post-78-127496220659_thumb.jpg

post-78-12749622159_thumb.jpg

heh,,heh,,you better take them off first Mike, not sure how Rob would react around your crotch with a needle,,,Randy

He will probably have a flashback of momma going for his groin the day he bought that one truck home that sent her over the edge. That should prevent him from doing any damage.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Looks great Rob. Would love to make something like that for my B. Just to cover the rough looking door panels. Ya, could paint the door, then the dash wouldn't match. Easier to cover up the green LOL!!!

Need a headliner too, but looking at costs on them pretty much changed my mind on that!!! (ouch).

I think the black button tuffed interior is classy in an old truck.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Looks great Rob. Would love to make something like that for my B. Just to cover the rough looking door panels. Ya, could paint the door, then the dash wouldn't match. Easier to cover up the green LOL!!!

Need a headliner too, but looking at costs on them pretty much changed my mind on that!!! (ouch).

I think the black button tuffed interior is classy in an old truck.

I'm probably going to put headliners in my B models also. I have a factory one to use as a pattern that is basically cardboard. I think some type of fabric will look nicer and less utilitarian. I have a lot of ideas that I'm stewing on but have yet to implement. I've got to find a cost effective sound attenuation foam to glue sheet lead between as that is a really effective combination.

Tonight I've nearly finished stripping the paint from R-12. Should get this part of the job finished over the weekend at the latest. I'm going to need to pull the cab which was unexpected due to stress cracks through the floor and into the firewall and cowl that I've found recently. Having the cab off will make fitting the new engine and splicing the frame rails in much easier anyways.

The button maker that I borrowed is slick and only takes less than a minute to make the buttons. I could stitch up some prototypes and see what they look like but good materials aren't inexpensive. I think I've got about a buck and a quarter in each of my panels materials without the embroidery. That would normally run about $30.00 per dog through customer supplied materials.

It wouldn't be difficult to cover the dash in a B model with an industrial vinyl either. I may try that in the future. If a guy used a fabric backed material for the dash, and an unbacked material for the speedometer quadrant which is much thinner, I think a nice looking job could be had. I've had a couple of speedo panels and glove box doors chromed for my trucks so this won't apply to mine.

Plenty of ideas, so little time.

Rob

I'd leave the dash alone, or chrome the panels like you mentioned. I was just stating that if I painted the doors, they'd look outta place with the rest of the inside. Just covering the doors with button tuffed panels would really make it nice.

My headliner is starting to fall apart on the seam on the pass. side and it's drooping in the center. Never was put in right before I bought the truck. I glued 1" jute on the top to help with noise control. Sorta helped I suppose. Love to get real sound deadner put on back wall and floor. Someday.....

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Here are both seats together. I didn't change the settings on the camera from when I was working with it earlier and didn't realize they were incorrect until downloading them.

I think the dash overlain with a nice pebble grain leather would look nice but would be expensive.......

Rob

post-78-127501729787_thumb.jpg

Yeah that's right. You wouldn't want to kick a pretty girl in the ass when she bent over in front of you.

Rob

Yeah that's right. You wouldn't want to kick a pretty girl in the ass when she bent over in front of you.

Rob

Hi, they look really good, well done. we have a trimmer here who cant seem to get his stitching straight, you have done well.

Grant

Looks Good Rob .Keep it up . Ya have to go into the upolstry business. :thumb: (no spell check in puter i'm using)

Make's wish i'd learned how to sew from grandma when i was growing up ( she worked for a company who made Drapery's so she sewed for a living & had a commercial Singer sewing machine that took up a good part of the kitchen table. she sewed for family & friends on the side also)

Later

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

Now that I have my seats back I feel like getting a little done on the truck, (Project R-12). Got a little paint off the past couple of nights and a little left yet to do, then starting on the doors which are not rotted at all. I've found a few stress cracks in the cab that will need welded up but since I'm going to "back half" this one, I'll pull it.

Here's a little progress for six manhours. I usually leave this type work to a media blaster but the truck is not licensed, nor do I have a trailer to haul it. Been awhile since I've went the manual route.

Rob

post-78-127509997214_thumb.jpg

post-78-127509998171_thumb.jpg

post-78-127510000048_thumb.jpg

post-78-127510000913_thumb.jpg

post-78-127510001834_thumb.jpg

post-78-12751000279_thumb.jpg

mike

He doesn't have time for that-now every vehicle,all the clothes,furniture,appliances,and the dog will have a bulldog patch embroidered on it.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

He doesn't have time for that-now every vehicle,all the clothes,furniture,appliances,and the dog will have a bulldog patch sewn onto it.

THATS funny right there, i don't care who ya are

LL is classic :clap:

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian