Is It Feasible To Convert Lowboy Truck To Dump Truck?

It seams A dump trailer would be the best idea. Of course I wouldn't need a tag trailer, already have two low boys, need to sale one or make a trade for me a dump trailer. I see a lot of recommendations on dump trailers and I will consider them all. What do I need to stay away from.

if you don't mind the weight you can't beat a short all steel quarter frame, WITH A TWO WAY GATE........

this is from my experiance, even if you have to drive a couple hundred miles to look at each kind of trailer, AND WATCH IT VERY CLOSE AT WORK, GOING UP AND DOWN AND HOW MUCH WIGGLE IT HAS, it is well worth the effort, so many times i have made what i thought was the rite decision, only to be dead wrong......

tubs or half rounds are cool, but you can't hide much if you get a chance to haule some material

just remember you are gona turn over, it's a learning thing, ussually a series of events that happens!!!!!!!!!!!!

i drove a twin sister to yours for 3 years, any way i can help give me a shout, and good luck.

if you don't mind the weight you can't beat a short all steel quarter frame, WITH A TWO WAY GATE........

this is from my experiance, even if you have to drive a couple hundred miles to look at each kind of trailer, AND WATCH IT VERY CLOSE AT WORK, GOING UP AND DOWN AND HOW MUCH WIGGLE IT HAS, it is well worth the effort, so many times i have made what i thought was the rite decision, only to be dead wrong......

tubs or half rounds are cool, but you can't hide much if you get a chance to haule some material

just remember you are gona turn over, it's a learning thing, ussually a series of events that happens!!!!!!!!!!!!

i drove a twin sister to yours for 3 years, any way i can help give me a shout, and good luck.

past experiance, unless you are gona be hauling material only and dumping on a level pad, stay away from alum.

Good one. un-level ground and alligators.

Don't worry bout the gators. They will run like hell when that big-ass tub tips over onto their pond.

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

It seams A dump trailer would be the best idea. Of course I wouldn't need a tag trailer, already have two low boys, need to sale one or make a trade for me a dump trailer. I see a lot of recommendations on dump trailers and I will consider them all. What do I need to stay away from?

ALUM TRAILER WOULDNT BE BAD IF IT IS SHORT.ALSO MAKE SURE YOU GET A FRAME TRAILER, STAY AWAY FROM FRAMELESS, AND STAY WITH SPRING SUSP.

GG2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

ALUM TRAILER WOULDNT BE BAD IF IT IS SHORT.ALSO MAKE SURE YOU GET A FRAME TRAILER, STAY AWAY FROM FRAMELESS, AND STAY WITH SPRING SUSP.

GG2

If he's gonna do demo & land clearing an aluminum trailer would be destroyed in no time.

I'd recommend a heavy duty steel bodied rock & demo trailer with a combination dump & swing tailgate for that app.

I agree with the suggestion to go with a frame type trailer on springs.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

my opinion. 24' steel end dump, you can haul anything with them. 1/4 frames stay level better as far as raising a loaded box. frameless is just about as good but a little unstable on one rear axel. the plus of a frameless is the dump angel is better and they are cheeper. you can order standard or low sides if you do alot of bob cat work.If you do go with a low side Make sure the tail gate is standard. this way the concrete will not get stuck as easy. ask me how I know...... Tubs look nice, and tend to stay cleaner but puts the load CG higher. air tail gate locks are nice and if you have the extra $ a air lifted gate is even better. less abuse on the trailer and the gate will seal better. also will reduce loads getting stuck. Air ride or spring is fine... normal pros and cons with them. electric tarps and crank tarp systems seam to be a bigger PITA trying to keep them working, let a branch tear off the pullys and electrical wires and you will see why. a simple pull tarp with spring return arms are cheep and easy to work and wont need expencive parts when the tree bends arms. ask me how I know. Alum trailers are good just for gravel and dirt clay etc... you cant use them for demo unless you want a trailer full of dents and holes. if you want a trailer to go to WORK with steel is what you want.

If he's gonna do demo & land clearing an aluminum trailer would be destroyed in no time.

I'd recommend a heavy duty steel bodied rock & demo trailer with a combination dump & swing tailgate for that app.

I agree with the suggestion to go with a frame type trailer on springs.

YOUR RIGHT. FORGOT ABOUT THE DEMO ASPECT OF THINGS.

GG2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

A 1/4 frame 22-24' steel dump trailer with a 2-way gate or high lift gate. I wouldn't be afraid of air-ride though, so long as you can dump the suspension when you unload.

Personally, I'd take the air-ride...I don't think at 22' they're any more unstable than center point spring. I bought a trailer with air ride a year ago and my back loves me for it.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

i have to agree with the air ride with a dump valve, for dumping. easier on the back, the truck, and the trailer.

i have hooked the chains on a 24ft. quarter frame and spread 2" clean rock with it. the surface would have to be very level and compacted befor i would try it with 1" minus

i have to agree with the air ride with a dump valve, for dumping. easier on the back, the truck, and the trailer.

i have hooked the chains on a 24ft. quarter frame and spread 2" clean rock with it. the surface would have to be very level and compacted befor i would try it with 1" minus

I'm not a fan of air ride on anything, but where I work we've got 3 dump trailers on air ride, and they're set up so that whenever the air operated tailgate is in the open position, the air ride is dumped.

Then again, if someone forgets to open the air tailgate, they've got REAL trouble developing!!!!!!!

swishy....how did you keep the "5th wheel" in the box clean from rocks,mud etc.... and how were you to get the gate off to hook up? that seams like a real PITA to use if you need to haul a load of stone with the trailer on. or try to un hook it with a load on? not to mention the gate having to come off and on with a load on LOL????

Herb I have to admit the air ride dump trailers have done pretty good for me. I still like springs on the tractor as it needs the traction but that air ride trailer takes alot of the bucking and bouncing away. and like you said, plum the tail gate to a quick air bag dump valve and it sits down on the axel stops pretty quick. I saw one guy dump with bags inflated and I was wondering if he hooked that up the wrong way or if his tailgate was closed? regardless. I stayed away from him in the dump.

The O.P. stated:

Kinda sounds like he'd be using it the same way I used mine, sometimes for hauling dirt and other times for pulling a tag trailer.

I did hire mine out hourly too, and was "deep in the heat of battle" with it many times, on jobs where the pressure was on, so you either had to keep up or get the hell outta the way.

I did drive that one myself 99% of the time though and I knew what I could and couldn't do with it.

"A mans got to know his limitations",,,who said that? wasnt it Dirty Harry?

swishy....how did you keep the "5th wheel" in the box clean from rocks,mud etc.... and how were you to get the gate off to hook up? that seams like a real PITA to use if you need to haul a load of stone with the trailer on. or try to un hook it with a load on? not to mention the gate having to come off and on with a load on LOL????

Herb I have to admit the air ride dump trailers have done pretty good for me. I still like springs on the tractor as it needs the traction but that air ride trailer takes alot of the bucking and bouncing away. and like you said, plum the tail gate to a quick air bag dump valve and it sits down on the axel stops pretty quick. I saw one guy dump with bags inflated and I was wondering if he hooked that up the wrong way or if his tailgate was closed? regardless. I stayed away from him in the dump.

SWISHY HAS A BARN DOOR GATE.2 MINUTES AND YOUR SWITCHED.

GG2

MackAtak

GuddayM8

I've never ever had a set up like the swan neck

I have only seen m bein used

the Tail gate is called a 2 way it will swing like a barn door or tilt out @ the bottom

just by removeing/replacing pin @ hinges

the swan neck I did C twaz on a sub frome th@ slipt into tippr body n twas held in there by the truck rear tow hook jiggr

they lift the body to raise the swan neck then lower landin legs then lower the body till no weight on body to slide the subframe from the tippr body etc

or just wind down the landin legs on trailer

the advantage of this set up it duz not take weight from the front axle like a tag trailer would

Cya

§wishy

a plastic linner is a heaven sent but they won't hold up to giant peices of concrete or boulders.

but for every thing else they are the best thing to ever happen to dump trailers.

And straight dump trucks too.

They eliminate 99% of the problems of material buildup in the corners, and the resulting hand shoveling needed to clean it out.

A plastic liner also eliminates the problem of "carryover" of one type of material stuck in the box from a previous load contaminating another type of material on the next load.

We've got plastic liners in all the conventional dump boxes in the fleet, but not in the demo boxes, for the reason you stated.

The Swan Trailer has got be the craziest thing I've ever seen. You could put giant feathers on the side and a little art work on the neck and the it would look just like its name.

This has been a crash course in converting and dump trailers for sure! Got an ideal what I need, just need to find a good deal now. I appreciate everyone!