The Fedex Freight Driver:

Took a delivery from FedEx Freight today and noticed he was driving an older Volvo single axle, (on spring) tractor pulling a 53' van. I asked him how he liked that truck and was surprised when he explained they had new Internationals, and Freightliners at the yard and he preferred an old Volvo rather than one of the newer trucks. Also said the older Volvo's were much more comfortable to drive and negotiate traffic. Though he didn't know what engine was under the hood, it was clear that he had a strong favoritism towards these trucks. Also said they were very reliable where some of the newer ones were in the shop a lot.

No favoritism by me, just relaying what I was hearing.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Volvo, Freightliner and International..........that'd be like Obamama, Sarah Palin and Al Gore all running for president at the same time, they're all crap.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

:banana::banana: Thanks !! that made my day...... Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Took a delivery from FedEx Freight today and noticed he was driving an older Volvo single axle, (on spring) tractor pulling a 53' van. I asked him how he liked that truck and was surprised when he explained they had new Internationals, and Freightliners at the yard and he preferred an old Volvo rather than one of the newer trucks. Also said the older Volvo's were much more comfortable to drive and negotiate traffic. Though he didn't know what engine was under the hood, it was clear that he had a strong favoritism towards these trucks. Also said they were very reliable where some of the newer ones were in the shop a lot.

No favoritism by me, just relaying what I was hearing.

Rob

Anyone that knows me will tell you my loyalty has always been with mack, but i once drove a friends volvo 770 and was really impressed with the turning radius of the tractor, but little else. i have always heard "nothing rides better than a volvo", i personally did'nt like the "feel" of the air-ride steer axle, and with no bias,my CX rides much better,has a more solid feel, and coolant tank notwithstanding, has been one of the most dependable trucks i have owned.....just my 2 cents!......mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Anyone that knows me will tell you my loyalty has always been with mack, but i once drove a friends volvo 770 and was really impressed with the turning radius of the tractor, but little else. i have always heard "nothing rides better than a volvo", i personally did'nt like the "feel" of the air-ride steer axle, and with no bias,my CX rides much better,has a more solid feel, and coolant tank notwithstanding, has been one of the most dependable trucks i have owned.....just my 2 cents!......mark

A truck ought to ride like a truck. If I wanted a Cadillac-smooth ride, I'd buy a Cadillac.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I can't tell you from personal experience because the furthest I've driven a Volvo product has been from the repair stall to the paint room, back to the stall, then to the parking lot. Couldn't tell you how it rode or drove on the road. Anytime I've had one in the shop, it's been wrecked or damaged, (lots of plastic).

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

A truck ought to ride like a truck. If I wanted a Cadillac-smooth ride, I'd buy a Cadillac.

I'll throw it out there, I appreciate a nice ride. It makes for a long week bouncing around in some piece of shit vs. a nice riding truck. Going from a spring ride trailer to an air ride for me last year iced the cake...sprinkle in some ice cold a/c and it's a good day. :banana:

I'll throw it out there, I appreciate a nice ride. It makes for a long week bouncing around in some piece of shit vs. a nice riding truck. Going from a spring ride trailer to an air ride for me last year iced the cake...sprinkle in some ice cold a/c and it's a good day. :banana:

Whuddayou know? You wanted to trade your :mack1: for a petercar :blink:

I'll take a truck that gets me in and out of wherever I need to go and is still roadworthy when I am ready to get back on the road over a truck that rides like a Cadillac but can't go where I need it to... ;)

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I'll take a truck that gets me in and out of wherever I need to go and is still roadworthy when I am ready to get back on the road over a truck that rides like a Cadillac but can't go where I need it to... ;)

Ahh...I wasn't going to trade for anything. I'd take it in the shorts trading. At least my :mack1: doesn't have Peterbilt wheels on it...!!! :P

Also, I didn't think of this last night due to a slight inebriation, give me some credit for not coming to a Mack board soliciting opinions on a different brand...

Edited by Gambi80

Ahh...I wasn't going to trade for anything. I'd take it in the shorts trading. At least my :mack1: doesn't have Peterbilt wheels on it...!!! :P

Also, I didn't think of this last night due to a slight inebriation, give me some credit for not coming to a Mack board soliciting opinions on a different brand...

Actually, they are Alcoas...nananana.gif

GEEEZZ did,nt mean to stir up a whole shit storm! you guys primarirly do vocational work, me on the other hand am on pavement 99.9% of the time,spend upwards of 3 weeks at a time in my truck, cover 26-3000+ miles per week, mountains,snow, desert etc.i have been in a truck longer than some of the people i know have been alive, and after 30 years you come to appreacieate a good riding truck when your back, knees, and everything else is sore and does'nt work so good anymore! no truck rides like a cadillac,my point was my CX rides better than a similarly equipped volvo thats all.....mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

GEEEZZ did,nt mean to stir up a whole shit storm! you guys primarirly do vocational work, me on the other hand am on pavement 99.9% of the time,spend upwards of 3 weeks at a time in my truck, cover 26-3000+ miles per week, mountains,snow, desert etc.i have been in a truck longer than some of the people i know have been alive, and after 30 years you come to appreacieate a good riding truck when your back, knees, and everything else is sore and does'nt work so good anymore! no truck rides like a cadillac,my point was my CX rides better than a similarly equipped volvo thats all.....mark

If it weren't for the occasional $hit storm, we'd have nothing to post... :pat:

It's all in good fun ;)

Mark, YA really want a piss these guy's OFF tell em you could drive a QUADE BOX LIKE A 5 SPEEEEEDD OOHHH BOY!!!!!!

BULLHUSK PS It's all in fun, life's too short AMEN !

What's a Quade box...? :D

And if you've been driving for 30+ years, then you indeed have been in a truck longer than I've been alive. I'll be 30 in sept.

What's a Quade box...? :D

And if you've been driving for 30+ years, then you indeed have been in a truck longer than I've been alive. I'll be 30 in sept.

...and they trust a youngin like you to haul them big-ass grenades? :blink:

I ain't gotcha beat by TOO much...just turned 31 in Feb. :pat:

why can't you drive a quad box like a five speed

You can. However it will not hold up to the torque rise of a modern engine and the gear split is much too wide for normal usage. In an older engine the gear split is so wide the engine will not be in it's torque band with every upshift.

I've seen both a triplex, and a quadraplex in different trucks with two speed rears and they worked fine.

Rob

why can't you drive a quad box like a five speed

Because, as I've pointed out repeatedly here lately, if you shift a quad box like a 5 speed, it's impossible to keep a Thermodyne engine within it's operating range of 1500 to 2100 RPM.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"