High Pyro...

Gambi80

I know that the pyro max is 1200 deg, but I'm sure that's not a sustained 1200. My truck constantly/quickly climbs to 1000+ on a regular basis. Just curious if the cause can be in the injection pump-retarded/off timing..?? I was going to make an appointment at Midwest Diesel Injection, they say they've got a diagnostic code reader deal that they can plug in to the truck and adjust things and what not. How much info can be gathered before the pump has to come off and be checked out...? I was thinking of having them replace the injectors and pull the pump as they can bench test them and calibrate.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

I know that the pyro max is 1200 deg, but I'm sure that's not a sustained 1200. My truck constantly/quickly climbs to 1000+ on a regular basis. Just curious if the cause can be in the injection pump-retarded/off timing..?? I was going to make an appointment at Midwest Diesel Injection, they say they've got a diagnostic code reader deal that they can plug in to the truck and adjust things and what not. How much info can be gathered before the pump has to come off and be checked out...? I was thinking of having them replace the injectors and pull the pump as they can bench test them and calibrate.

First off Id check for Boost leaks High pyro indicates among other stuff lack of air!Pluged air filter poor turbo performance yada yada Before spending big bucks!

Just my two cents

First off Id check for Boost leaks High pyro indicates among other stuff lack of air!Pluged air filter poor turbo performance yada yada Before spending big bucks!

Just my two cents

I've checked checked and re-checked all that. Just keeps gettin doggier... 702k miles and the fuel system hasn't been touched, I'm sure its due for a check-up.

I've checked checked and re-checked all that. Just keeps gettin doggier... 702k miles and the fuel system hasn't been touched, I'm sure its due for a check-up.

We always set pump timing at least 1 degree above what it says on the valve cover. 1 and 1/2 is great but the closer you get to 2 it will start to get hot. I'm thinking the same as FJH , boost/ intake issues.

Gambi

How are you checking it Bro?Are you preasuring it up? Or are you just looking?

Preasuring it up is the ONLY sure Fire way of finding leaks, And you need to Preasurize EVERYTHING at once the tubo the after cooler and the engine!

I'm Not Trying to degrade you in any way!But somtimes people think just looking is good enough!Its NOT!

If you havent already done so, your going to have to make testing equipment a rubber hose that will fit the turbo snail inlet and a bung to plug that with put regulated air to it 30-35 psi You may only need 10- 15 to find what your looking for cause it sounds like A big leak to me!You may also need to turn the engine sum to get the preasure to biuld and it will .If you don't find anything the turbo May be At fault I have seen turbos that will not spool properly right out of the box! But It sounds like a leak to me!

Fred

Gambi

How are you checking it Bro?Are you preasuring it up? Or are you just looking?

Preasuring it up is the ONLY sure Fire way of finding leaks, And you need to Preasurize EVERYTHING at once the tubo the after cooler and the engine!

I'm Not Trying to degrade you in any way!But somtimes people think just looking is good enough!Its NOT!

If you havent already done so, your going to have to make testing equipment a rubber hose that will fit the turbo snail inlet and a bung to plug that with put regulated air to it 30-35 psi You may only need 10- 15 to find what your looking for cause it sounds like A big leak to me!You may also need to turn the engine sum to get the preasure to biuld and it will .If you don't find anything the turbo May be At fault I have seen turbos that will not spool properly right out of the box! But It sounds like a leak to me!

If you have already done this I stand corrected .

Fred

I have pressure checked it, blocked the exhause side of the turbo and all. The only leak I've ever found was the air compressor intake tube that runs behind the motor, replaced that and all is well. The truck is slooow to respond, slow to spool up, all around sluggish. Maybe the turbo is bad, I don't know.

• 4 weeks later...

I have pressure checked it, blocked the exhause side of the turbo and all. The only leak I've ever found was the air compressor intake tube that runs behind the motor, replaced that and all is well. The truck is slooow to respond, slow to spool up, all around sluggish. Maybe the turbo is bad, I don't know.

This is probably a long shot but have you checked to see that the air cleaner intake is properly aligned with the intake ducting on the hood? Mine was at least 3 inches off. After rotating the air canister for proper alignment my pyro was noticebly cooler. I also turned my intake louvers on the hood around to face forward for more of a "ram" air effect....every little bit helps. Getting your valves adjusted probably wouldn't hurt either if that was never done before, but that ain't cheap like the first two ideas.

This is probably a long shot but have you checked to see that the air cleaner intake is properly aligned with the intake ducting on the hood? Mine was at least 3 inches off. After rotating the air canister for proper alignment my pyro was noticebly cooler. I also turned my intake louvers on the hood around to face forward for more of a "ram" air effect....every little bit helps. Getting your valves adjusted probably wouldn't hurt either if that was never done before, but that ain't cheap like the first two ideas.

Very good tip on the air filter housing. There is a alinment tab on the housing, but it usually gets bent over and then the air filter housing will just go on any which way. Starting around 1998 they came out with a different style housing that bolts on only one way so it usually line up perfect. In around 2004 we started seeing alinment problems again but Mack came out with a service bulletin where you can recut the hole in the hood to match up with the air filter housing.

Hey I just noticed you have the chrome louvers cover on the air intake vents on your hood. When did you put them on? was it the same time pyro temp went up? Its used to say on the package do not install if motor is 400 or better. they restrict the air flow too much! take them off on see what happens. bobo

I remember reading something on here a long time ago about the hood vs. air cleaner alignment, I'll have to check that.

The chrome intake cover deals have been on there for 3 years, far more time than I've had this problem.

I used to be able to pull boost within 'spec'...30-34, but not anymore. 25 tops.

Earlier this week the outside temps have been in the 80's and just accellerating up to speed the pyro climbed up to 1100 pretty regularly...driving down the road at part throttle 10-15 boost it's around 900deg. I think that's way high all around.

I remember reading something on here a long time ago about the hood vs. air cleaner alignment, I'll have to check that.

The chrome intake cover deals have been on there for 3 years, far more time than I've had this problem.

I used to be able to pull boost within 'spec'...30-34, but not anymore. 25 tops.

Earlier this week the outside temps have been in the 80's and just accellerating up to speed the pyro climbed up to 1100 pretty regularly...driving down the road at part throttle 10-15 boost it's around 900deg. I think that's way high all around.

I think your truck is my trucks older sibling. 25 psi is the best I typically see, too...with rare (and brief) runs up to 30 psi before dropping back down to 20-25 psi. Noticed my pyro temps are running 800 or so lately, too.

Even the company petercars are able to out-pull me on a hill. This thing just doesn't have the power it SHOULD have. :pat:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

i was keeping a close eye on mine all day, pulled elk mountain 4% grade maybe 4 miles grossing 79,000 had no problem keeping 950 dg. or less and topped it at around 45 mph

the giant banana looks real good with that spread axle flat. ya wana grab a couple coils next week and follow me to salt lake city?

I think your truck is my trucks older sibling. 25 psi is the best I typically see, too...with rare (and brief) runs up to 30 psi before dropping back down to 20-25 psi. Noticed my pyro temps are running 800 or so lately, too.

Even the company petercars are able to out-pull me on a hill. This thing just doesn't have the power it SHOULD have. :pat:

Your's is a 460 though isn't it? 25 max is on par for a 400hp I believe. Mine's just an all around DOG and it's pissin me off. Somewhere on here, one of the professionals said your 460 should touch 40lbs at times...that little whizz-wheel has to really be cookin for that I think.

i was keeping a close eye on mine all day, pulled elk mountain 4% grade maybe 4 miles grossing 79,000 had no problem keeping 950 dg. or less and topped it at around 45 mph

the giant banana looks real good with that spread axle flat. ya wana grab a couple coils next week and follow me to salt lake city?

I would if I had the right plates! The more I pull the skate board the more I enjoy it.

You have to buy a twin to your truck and have a guy drive it only in the summer so I can drive it in the winter...preferrably south of I-40 though.

I would if I had the right plates! The more I pull the skate board the more I enjoy it.

and they look good

You have to buy a twin to your truck and have a guy drive it only in the summer so I can drive it in the winter...preferrably south of I-40 though.

i 70 threw colorado nov. to feb. is my favorite. you will find out real quick if there is any hair on your #&^$ about 10 miles west of denver.

Your's is a 460 though isn't it? 25 max is on par for a 400hp I believe. Mine's just an all around DOG and it's pissin me off. Somewhere on here, one of the professionals said your 460 should touch 40lbs at times...that little whizz-wheel has to really be cookin for that I think.

it will spike 36 some times but spooled up and pullin around 30 or 31 psi.

i know what you meen about the sound of a 460, when the weather is rite there is a hell of a long pull east bound going up to the eisenhower tunnle, a good 30 or 40 min. i like to roll both windows down, and listen to the music

I would if I had the right plates!

Since hooking to a dump, I probably spend 95% of my time in IL and MO...with rare short trips into KY or IN. However, I keep the "limited long" plates & permits which keeps most of the lower 48 on my cab card. I think they FINALLY dropped Calif***ya off, which I had asked them to do last year since my truck is old enough they ain't gonna let me in for too much longer anyway. Every once in a while, they'll toss a longer trip on me...either down to TX to see my gal or elsewhere...went to WV a week or so ago (delivered the morning after the mine blew up) and even made a recent run to GA. While I like being home, sometimes it is nice to get out there, set the cruise, and see something different for a day or two. :thumb:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Lets not forget the new fuel we have to use now! its shit!! no matter where you are!! bobo

Since hooking to a dump, I probably spend 95% of my time in IL and MO...with rare short trips into KY or IN. However, I keep the "limited long" plates & permits which keeps most of the lower 48 on my cab card. I think they FINALLY dropped Calif***ya off, which I had asked them to do last year since my truck is old enough they ain't gonna let me in for too much longer anyway. Every once in a while, they'll toss a longer trip on me...either down to TX to see my gal or elsewhere...went to WV a week or so ago (delivered the morning after the mine blew up) and even made a recent run to GA. While I like being home, sometimes it is nice to get out there, set the cruise, and see something different for a day or two. :thumb:

there you go gambi

put a parachute on that banana since you got the silent jake and lets go west

Lets not forget the new fuel we have to use now! its shit!! no matter where you are!! bobo

Speaking of the New fuel, I started using Howells or Power service once a week in my '03 CX with the 427. It's a pre-emissions engine and I swear you can feel the difference!! I don't have a boost gauge or Pyro yet to really know for sure. I was going to add the stock gauges but it sounds to me like too much $$$ and pain in the tailfeathers.

My 'ol dog has a bite worse than it's bark!!!!!!!!

Ummmmm....Is this the number I dialed????????

Just an update...I put a new charge air cooler on and related 'boots' on the piping. Runs like a raped ape now, pyro temps down under 900 on a long pull-for what we have here in flatland IL anyway and 32+ lbs of boost (hit about 34 this a.m. a couple times). Got to lookin at the cooler and saw a couple small cracks in the one corner, took it off and checked it and pissed air all over. I put a shiny new aluminum one on and we're off to the races.

$688 for cooler and hoses, I think that sounds fair...?

But I digress...since I've had it it's ran at or lower than maybe 80% power, I 'spose now it'll blow up in two weeks.

Just an update...I put a new charge air cooler on and related 'boots' on the piping. Runs like a raped ape now, pyro temps down under 900 on a long pull-for what we have here in flatland IL anyway and 32+ lbs of boost (hit about 34 this a.m. a couple times). Got to lookin at the cooler and saw a couple small cracks in the one corner, took it off and checked it and pissed air all over. I put a shiny new aluminum one on and we're off to the races.

$688 for cooler and hoses, I think that sounds fair...?

But I digress...since I've had it it's ran at or lower than maybe 80% power, I 'spose now it'll blow up in two weeks.

That's good news and we love good news. That's a good price too.

Took this pic on the second load today, climbing a hill at 15 or so mph. On the first load the boost gauge was wrapped around to 35...but I didn't think to grab a pic, I about pooped my pants when I saw it.......I'm excited, she goes now...!

post-1977-127259086992_thumb.jpg