Mack A Chinese Truck Now?

This is from one of the trade papers. Does this affect Mack Trucks?

As predicted various times on TTAC, Volvo has finally been sold to China. Ford said in a statement that it had agreed to all substantial commercial terms in a deal to sell Volvo to China’s Geely Holding Group, parent of Geely Auto, Reuters has on the wire.

“While some work still remains to be completed before signing, Ford and Geely anticipate that a definitive sale agreement will be signed in the first quarter of 2010,” Ford said. Final closing on the deal is expected for Q2 of 2010.

Volvo changes hands for an estimated $1.8b. This makes it by far the largest overseas acquisition by a Chinese automaker. Ford is getting a nice chunk of money for its cash hemorrhaging Volvo unit, they are selling Volvo whole, not piecemeal as in Saab and GM.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

This is from one of the trade papers. Does this affect Mack Trucks?

As predicted various times on TTAC, Volvo has finally been sold to China. Ford said in a statement that it had agreed to all substantial commercial terms in a deal to sell Volvo to China's Geely Holding Group, parent of Geely Auto, Reuters has on the wire.

"While some work still remains to be completed before signing, Ford and Geely anticipate that a definitive sale agreement will be signed in the first quarter of 2010," Ford said. Final closing on the deal is expected for Q2 of 2010.

Volvo changes hands for an estimated $1.8b. This makes it by far the largest overseas acquisition by a Chinese automaker. Ford is getting a nice chunk of money for its cash hemorrhaging Volvo unit, they are selling Volvo whole, not piecemeal as in Saab and GM.

While that story is sad I don't believe this affects Mack in any way. The Volvo arrangment was broken up several years ago when Ford acquired the Volvo brand of automobiles. This is when it was separated from the truck, and construction divisions.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

While that story is sad I don't believe this affects Mack in any way. The Volvo arrangment was broken up several years ago when Ford acquired the Volvo brand of automobiles. This is when it was separated from the truck, and construction divisions.

Rob

Mack/volvo is a united nations truck mostly anyway!The parts come from where ever they can get em cheapest!NO diffrent than ANY other maker in the bizz!Were just lucky they still assemble them here,See how long that lasts!

Mack/volvo is a united nations truck mostly anyway!The parts come from where ever they can get em cheapest!NO diffrent than ANY other maker in the bizz!Were just lucky they still assemble them here,See how long that lasts!

That has been going on for a lot of years. I purchased a 1984 Ford truck from the original owner, (low miles, 6.9ltr diesel) with a Dana 60 series rear axle. Every bearing in the rear end was made in either China, or Taiwan. It had never been apart so I removed the rear cover and axles to change fluid and seals.

When you look at the number of automobiles that are on the North American roadways, then guage the number of import vs. American nameplates, people should realize there is a problem. To save costs, many Asian, European, and Chinese in the near future automobile manufacturers have set up shop in this country to sale, and distribute their product due to cost. Where does one think the bulk of that sale monies/profits go? I don't think the "lions share" stays here.

As long as the "stupid American" continues on their current spending habits with the lowest dollar selling the product, it won't change.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

That has been going on for a lot of years. I purchased a 1984 Ford truck from the original owner, (low miles, 6.9ltr diesel) with a Dana 60 series rear axle. Every bearing in the rear end was made in either China, or Taiwan. It had never been apart so I removed the rear cover and axles to change fluid and seals.

When you look at the number of automobiles that are on the North American roadways, then guage the number of import vs. American nameplates, people should realize there is a problem. To save costs, many Asian, European, and Chinese in the near future automobile manufacturers have set up shop in this country to sale, and distribute their product due to cost. Where does one think the bulk of that sale monies/profits go? I don't think the "lions share" stays here.

As long as the "stupid American" continues on their current spending habits with the lowest dollar selling the product, it won't change.

Rob

I'm guilty I drive a honda!

Got a ford wouldn't own another.

Same deal ford and the rest by there parts global

Honda Im not sure!

I'm guilty I drive a honda!

Got a ford wouldn't own another.

Same deal ford and the rest by there parts global

Honda Im not sure!

I'm certainly not criticizing anyone. Business is business, and business is in business to make money. I have a Nissan Altima that is trouble free for 60,000 miles plus so far. I did not purchase the car on price, but rather comfort, economy, visibility, etc. No regrets either. No American manufacturer had anything I liked better or it would be in the driveway. Like I do everything else, I applied the "one payment" method for the best price I could get on this car. Would have done the same with a vehicle costing twice as much if it appealed to us-none did and be worth the extra cost.

I've had one Ford truck mentioned earlier. Won't have another cause it was the perverbial piece of shit and definately had a mind of it's own. It was consistently needing something to satisfy an insatiable diet and appetite for american greenbacks. When the engine unexpectely let go, I rebuilt it and wholesaled it from my life and have never looked back. I then purchased my "trusty, yet crusty Dodge", and have never looked back.

Rob

The american auto makers inthe 90s, weather hands tied behind their backs or not, could not compete with imports of the same day. I do think that has changed in the last 6-8 years as American cars have come around and basicly cought up in most aeras. I had a 91 toyota that out lasted 2 GMs. I now have a 97 riviera 120,000 miles and love it. not as nice inside as a lexus but it is very smooth powerfull and trouble free. USA made and proud to own it.

Vovlo Cars were owned by for for a while now.

Volvo Trucks (last I checked)and constrcution is still owned by the powers in..... Sweden?

Rob

Part of the problem with the manufacturing / service industry (aside from cost verses profit) is that they have been EPAed and OSHA'd to death. The idiocy goes right down to the local level. I was told by the inspector for my fire insurance on my shop the my Alternators and Starters had to be in fire proof cabinets or my policy would be cancelled. When asked why ,I was informed that there could be an electrical fire from them...My question to them was please explain how the could catch fire? I was told there are "x' number of vehicle electical fires every year ,so that's why. I think if the goverment used common sense( :pat: ) and curtailed most of the 'good' rules to save us from our own selves we could be competitive again. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

The U.S. Automakers have made a huge improvement over the past 10 years there is no doubt about it. As far as pick up trucks go 89-90 Chevy's were the best selling trucks. The best combination was the 5.7L 350CUI with a 700R4 with the TBI (Throttle Body Injection. If you don't abuse them they last forever and isn't too bad on gas either. I can get around 200 miles on a single tank of gas. It only takes me about $30-35 to fill her up. I use to remember being able to get close to 300 miles on a single tank but I think that was in a dream I had. :lol:

The american auto makers inthe 90s, weather hands tied behind their backs or not, could not compete with imports of the same day. I do think that has changed in the last 6-8 years as American cars have come around and basicly cought up in most aeras. I had a 91 toyota that out lasted 2 GMs. I now have a 97 riviera 120,000 miles and love it. not as nice inside as a lexus but it is very smooth powerfull and trouble free. USA made and proud to own it.

Vovlo Cars were owned by for for a while now.

Volvo Trucks (last I checked)and constrcution is still owned by the powers in..... Sweden?

120,000 miles is just about time for your plastic timing gears to go. After you get that fixed you'll spin a bearing because it will be plugged up with the plastic from the timing gears. Didn't mean ruin your day.

Doesn't affect Mack trucks at all. Volvo sold their car operations to Ford about a decade ago, and Ford is now selling the Volvo car operations to a chinese firm. Volvo is still headquartered in Sweden and still owns Mack. Mack trucks are still built in the truck capitol of the world- Allentown, Pennsylvania.

Doesn't affect Mack trucks at all. Volvo sold their car operations to Ford about a decade ago, and Ford is now selling the Volvo car operations to a chinese firm. Volvo is still headquartered in Sweden and still owns Mack. Mack trucks are still built in the truck capitol of the world- Allentown, Pennsylvania.

It was largely because of that sale of the automobile portion that Vovlo AB had the finances to make the acquisition from Renault. I wonder sometimes what would have happened if things kept on going with Renault in charge......hmmmmm. It didn't seem too bad!

It was largely because of that sale of the automobile portion that Vovlo AB had the finances to make the acquisition from Renault. I wonder sometimes what would have happened if things kept on going with Renault in charge......hmmmmm. It didn't seem too bad!

I still don't think it was bad. Renault has never had a good infrastructure base in this country. The same plays for Puegeo, Citreon, Simca, etc. The would export their wares, (automobiles) but could not maintain the parts and support until they were forced to pull out of the marketplace. The first three make some fine diesel engines that really last well in Europe but there was no market for them here. Same reason Mercedes pulled out of the passenger car diesel engine market for several years.

With Volvo being the parent of the corporation there has been money invested in R&D that probably would never have been and would have lead to the demise of the Mack marque. Renault Vehicle Industrials was going broke in supporting commercial vehicles in the Unites States so they wanted out of the market. They have a quite large presence in Europe. Just like Scania, Daimler/Mercedes, and a few others not seen here any longer.

Rob

Mack would still have the E7 and E9,that would be sure :thumb:

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM

Thanks for the info...sure glad its not asian. Renault...dalphines, le cars...oh my Paul

Edited by 41chevy

P.T.CHESHIRE

Mack would still have the E7 and E9,that would be sure :thumb:

Thats a big MAYBE. I say that because Emissions would have most likely killed the E9. And would Renault and Mack be able to come up with a replacement engine that could make 2007 and 2010? Who knows.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

In my opinion China is a bigger threat to the USA than the bogus terrorist boogeyman. But there is allot of evidence that China is cooking the books and their economy will most likely collapse. And boy what a collapse it will be, estimated to be 1000 times worse than Dubai. That will really screw up the worlds economy big time. Either way China is a threat to the entire world and its a shame we let it get this bad.

-Thad

i have heard about an america that was concerned with making products now all its worried about is making money

When I was a kid Machine shops and other big manufacturing plants littered New York City. My father had his first building down the block from Merrill Bothers in Maspeth and did work for them. After he moved his shop to Ozone Park (where we live) he expanded the machine shop portion and had lots of work. Ozone Industries had two blocks of buildings near us and did allot of work for the aerospace industry. Stock Drive and many others had work for us. Then the 90's rolled around and many of the big companies were gone by 2000. Merrill Brothers was bought out by Cooper Tool and have recently switched to overseas for production. The only clue that Ozone Industries ever existed is an old sign they hung on the abandoned LIRR el. Even we sold our Machine shop. I cried like a baby when they took the machines out. But when you have no work why keep going?

I once nearly came to tears after looking through a 1928 Sweets Engineering catalog and realizing what an industrial powerhouse this country once was. Every state was filled with manufacturing plants of all kinds. Now we are a fragile near empty shell. If China ever takes a dump I hope this country realizes you only have true wealth when YOU produce goods. Not send blueprints to China or India.

-Thad

ThaddeusW you are indeed correct. Industry, engineering and inovation are the key elements of a healthy economy. One has to add value either through construction, refinning or new concepts and ideas in order to create wealth.

Rasing taxes does not create wealth. Bigger Government does not create wealth. Redistribution of wealth does not create wealth. The only way wealth can be created is to "dig something up", "build something", conceptualize an idea, apply it and then build it, is the only way to create wealth.

That is what built this country. Work must be applied to create wealth. This is called adding value.

I had this discussion years ago with a College Prof. When he attempted to teach the class that "we will become the Managers of the World and we will not have to build anything or have any heavy industries, in order to have wealth." I was asked to leave the class a couple of times because I destroyed his discussion with the above concept.

China is a force to be reckoned with. I am afraid that the power is contining to move westward. Persian Empire, Greece, Rome, Europe (France, Germany, Belgium), England, America, Japan and now China.

I read an article the other day; TA TA Motors of India is bringing it vehicle to the US. The vehicle, an Indian version of the VW bug (but smaller) sells for $2,500 in India. When it gets to the US it will sell for over $8,000. This just adds to the concept of how screwed up we are.

I seriously doubt it will ever be like the "good old days"

God! I am depressed....Think I will go and have some Johnny Walker.

Jim

Rustednut

ThaddeusW you are indeed correct. Industry, engineering and inovation are the key elements of a healthy economy. One has to add value either through construction, refinning or new concepts and ideas in order to create wealth.

Rasing taxes does not create wealth. Bigger Government does not create wealth. Redistribution of wealth does not create wealth. The only way wealth can be created is to "dig something up", "build something", conceptualize an idea, apply it and then build it, is the only way to create wealth.

That is what built this country. Work must be applied to create wealth. This is called adding value.

I had this discussion years ago with a College Prof. When he attempted to teach the class that "we will become the Managers of the World and we will not have to build anything or have any heavy industries, in order to have wealth." I was asked to leave the class a couple of times because I destroyed his discussion with the above concept.

China is a force to be reckoned with. I am afraid that the power is contining to move westward. Persian Empire, Greece, Rome, Europe (France, Germany, Belgium), England, America, Japan and now China.

I read an article the other day; TA TA Motors of India is bringing it vehicle to the US. The vehicle, an Indian version of the VW bug (but smaller) sells for $2,500 in India. When it gets to the US it will sell for over $8,000. This just adds to the concept of how screwed up we are.

I seriously doubt it will ever be like the "good old days"

God! I am depressed....Think I will go and have some Johnny Walker.

Jim

Save me some.

Rob

• 4 weeks later...