Canadian Hood Scoop? Part #

The intake scoop that looks like the mid 70s R-model, tip-turbine intake.

All the Ch's and others up there seem to have the same look and style.

Is it a Mack part?

Yes the E9 needs more air and don't want to glass in another L88 scoop.

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM

I'll see if I can get a part#, but might not get it until next week. Everyone up here has them on. Helps with the 454/460's too, got rid of that little shake when pulling hard. Then you can put them fancy chrome intake grills on the side and not worry about restriction.

I'll see if I can get a part#, but might not get it until next week. Everyone up here has them on. Helps with the 454/460's too, got rid of that little shake when pulling hard. Then you can put them fancy chrome intake grills on the side and not worry about restriction.

Any pics of these on CH style trucks. Back in 2004 when the ASET first came out, due to excessive underhood heat Mack did have some unoffical hood scoops installed, our old district service manager sent me some pics, part numbers and install instructions, sadly I lost the e-mails some where.

Any pics of these on CH style trucks. Back in 2004 when the ASET first came out, due to excessive underhood heat Mack did have some unoffical hood scoops installed, our old district service manager sent me some pics, part numbers and install instructions, sadly I lost the e-mails some where.

Here is a link http://www.autotrader.ca/used_cars_Heavy+Trucks_details/PRINCE+GEORGE_British+Columbia_2000_MACK_CL713+Tridrive+_3159137.html?srcid=6608211&source=5&pgno=1&srt=70&CompanyID=&r=ontario&ad-attributes=photos,,

Its to help air intake(to improve the restrictive hood intake channel)

Our dealer here started using them on the pre-ASSET trucks. We're always grossing over 140,000 pounds on 10 to 12% grades and with the E-7 454/460 and E9's in the CH and CL's. They had a slight shake when pulling hard and they determined it to be caused by a lack of intake air. They did seem to help. I know they were Mack parts and we had a local body shop cut the hood and install. I'll see if I can get a # during the week.

Our dealer here started using them on the pre-ASSET trucks. We're always grossing over 140,000 pounds on 10 to 12% grades and with the E-7 454/460 and E9's in the CH and CL's. They had a slight shake when pulling hard and they determined it to be caused by a lack of intake air. They did seem to help. I know they were Mack parts and we had a local body shop cut the hood and install. I'll see if I can get a # during the week.

Our district service manager Phil,(retired) told me when I first got into the CL in 96;If you are going to play with power you are going to need to improve the intake.

Did my own idea on the black one... works and looks ok but the hood is heavy

hope this will help you, i have a brand new one with 'newer' style design.. same thing but they just added a fancy lip at the end. PN is 139QM58P2HS6 if this number brings you nowhere just try to get it with this serial number 2M2E130C2JC002157 model of this truck is a DMM6886EX.. we bought this truck brand new and it has a factory hood scoop! if your Mack dealer can't find anything, it might be a Volvo dealer now :s

i had serios thoughts about putting a nacaduct on the side of the hood on my cx and aim it at the egr cooler. what do you think about that?

hope this will help you, i have a brand new one with 'newer' style design.. same thing but they just added a fancy lip at the end. PN is 139QM58P2HS6 if this number brings you nowhere just try to get it with this serial number 2M2E130C2JC002157 model of this truck is a DMM6886EX.. we bought this truck brand new and it has a factory hood scoop! if your Mack dealer can't find anything, it might be a Volvo dealer now :s

Thanks for the part# hopefully it is not discontinued.

I wonder what fun my parts guy will have looking up a Canadian DMM serial number

Do the pictures remind you of the hood scoops?

Just in case I have to go a different route

Do the pictures remind you of the hood scoops?

Just in case I have to go a different route

I was on my way up to Chicago to go to Mack school the first time I saw one installed, It was on a small fleet truck CX613, this was back in 2004 when we couldn't keep fan belts on the ASET engines. When I got back home I call our DSM and like I said above, he gave me the info. The CX I saw, had only one scoop and it was about 4 inches tall and 12 wide and 16 inches long. It was over on the passenger side of the hood up towards the windshield with the opening was towards the windshild. The scoop info our DSM sent us was also a CX but best I remember it had 2 small narrow scoops that were short, they were made by a vendor of Mack. I think it was Lund who built Macks sunvisors. It looked something like this http://www.lundlook.com/lund_car_product_detail_objectname_Medium_Pair_car.aspx I think the scoops were to let the hot underhood heat out not really for extra air intake, I dont think they were ducted into the intake passage in the hood. Of the 500+ email's I have over the years from Mack , I cant find this one.

I was on my way up to Chicago to go to Mack school the first time I saw one installed, It was on a small fleet truck CX613, this was back in 2004 when we couldn't keep fan belts on the ASET engines. When I got back home I call our DSM and like I said above, he gave me the info. The CX I saw, had only one scoop and it was about 4 inches tall and 12 wide and 16 inches long. It was over on the passenger side of the hood up towards the windshield with the opening was towards the windshild. The scoop info our DSM sent us was also a CX but best I remember it had 2 small narrow scoops that were short, they were made by a vendor of Mack. I think it was Lund who built Macks sunvisors. It looked something like this http://www.lundlook.com/lund_car_product_detail_objectname_Medium_Pair_car.aspx I think the scoops were to let the hot underhood heat out not really for extra air intake, I dont think they were ducted into the intake passage in the hood. Of the 500+ email's I have over the years from Mack , I cant find this one.

Those would look pretty cool...ram-air on a CH... :banana:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Here's a pic. Hope Mr. Brandt don't mind me posting. This truck and his Superliner race up the hill at Rodeo Du Camion every year. He's got videos of Superdog on you tube. They have a pretty nice collection of working E-9 Macks.

And his E-9s pull up that hill pretty good too. I never noticed the hood scoop on the black CL when I've seen it up there. He runs a set of double snorkle type scoops like the aussies do on his white Superliner. I was thinking of putting a hood scoop on my Superliner just to be different since mine has an under hood air cleaner on it. Maybe I'll try that part# and price one out.

Seems to be what you saw on the CX613 was what I'm looking for, But what they sent you is not

Before you think you are loosing your mind with your 500+ E-mails from Mack,I did find SB-233017

Which came out to help RW's get more air and has a scoop

And his E-9s pull up that hill pretty good too. I never noticed the hood scoop on the black CL when I've seen it up there. He runs a set of double snorkle type scoops like the aussies do on his white Superliner. I was thinking of putting a hood scoop on my Superliner just to be different since mine has an under hood air cleaner on it. Maybe I'll try that part# and price one out.

I think I have seen one RW with this kit

Pub Type: Bulletin

Group Code: 233

Number: SB233017

Former Number: 14E025

Date: 04/13/1992

Model: RW EXCEPT WITH CUMMINS 475 ENGINE

Title: HOOD SCOOP MODIFICATION

Hood Scoop Modification (All RW Models Except With Cummins 475)

To inform the field of a way to modify the air intake system for RW models in severe service applications, this modification improves air cleaner life.

Remove all tubing and ducting on intake side of the air cleaner.

Install 5MD1254 (90 degree elbow) on intake side of air cleaner, using the old clamps from the intake ducting.

Loosen air cleaner mounting strap and move air cleaner assembly inboard as far as mounting straps will permit. Rotate the filter assembly until the elbow inlet is parallel with hood angle.

Remove hood spring from mounting brackets on the radiator side. Remove bolts and rollers from brackets leaving spring attached to hood on the top side. Cross springs; left side spring to right side, right side to left. Fasten spring to holes in bracket where bolts were removed. This will provide clearance for hood scoop piping.

Install sleeve (5MD3608M12) tube into elbow. You may cut the tube on the original intake ducting to the required length and use it instead of a new tube. Use old clamps to secure.

Apply a bead of white lubriplate to the lip of the tube. Close the hood so the lubriplate will mark the location for the hole.

Find center of marking left by lubriplate on hood. Drill a pilot hole and scribe a 8 inch diameter circle. Cut and remove.

Use hood scoop (139QM58) for a template for wear surface plate. Drill mounting hole from hood scoop through plate.

Center hood scoop between both hood lines. The rear of scoop should be about 14 - 1/2 inches ahead of rear edge of hood. Mark holes for mounting. Drill four 1/4 inch holes.

Attach aluminum plate with bolts to hood and using hood as a template, mark plate. Cut out an eight inch circle.

Using 4, 1/4 inch x 1 inch bolts with locking nuts (8 flat washers, 2 per bolt), attach hood scoop and aluminum wear plate to hood, (wear plate inside hood).

If you hood scoop does not have a deflector screen in the opening, one can be purchased as part number 8MG418.

With the scoop and piping in place, slide boot 56MD 48M over tube down to elbow. Fasten with clamp. This is a seal to keep the under hood heat from entering air cleaner piping.

Close hood and check for proper sealing and fit.

The following is a list of parts required:

56MD48M

Boot

5MD1254

Elbow

5MD3608M12

Tube

139QM58

Scoop Assembly

8MG418

Deflector

RW Series Hoop Scoop Arrangement (Driver's Side View)

In order to view this image an SVG Viewer must be installed onto your computer.

1. Hood Scoop - 139 QM58

2. Aluminum Plate

3. Air Cleaner Housing

4. Elbow - 5MD 1254

5. Aluminum tube 5MD 3608 M 12

6. Boot 56MD48M

© Copyright 2006 Mack Trucks, Inc. All rights reserved. Terms of Use

"E9's in the CH"

Did Mack ever build the CH with an E9 ?

Sorry about the way I typed that. My CH had an E7- 460 and the Cl's had 454, 460 and E9-500's. Just included the Ch because the hood scoop intake helped smooth out the big E7's also.

Looks like you got your info mackcl96 but if it don't work out let me know. I can get ahold of dealer during the week.

Sorry about the way I typed that. My CH had an E7- 460 and the Cl's had 454, 460 and E9-500's. Just included the Ch because the hood scoop intake helped smooth out the big E7's also.

Looks like you got your info mackcl96 but if it don't work out let me know. I can get ahold of dealer during the week.

If you dont mind check on what your dealer has for a part#

Fullfuel01, :thumb: number may be it but I got a different # on the service bullitin from 1992.

Fjh,what do you know on these scoops?

I just dont want to order the wrong part(we are dealing with volvo you know) :(

Hey Mackcl96, got ahold of my dealer today. Same part # as fullfuel gave, just less digits. #139QM31 $237.58 CAN

And they are available. If you don't get one where you're at let me know.

Ok thanks, I call my guy soon