I'm Losing My Mind

Cruising east on I70 in Kansas last night about 11 pm. Just got on the turnpike, stopped to check my load and grab a cup of coffee. Stopped for about 10 minutes, temperature 2 below zero 40 mph wind gusts. Beautiful night! When i jumped back in the truck to leave, shut down alarm engine died. Checked code 17, raised hood no coolant in sight glass. Noticed coolant had been spraying out of air hole in coolant overflow tank. Noticed coolant on inside of hood on driver side steer axle suspension parts. Put in 1 and 3/4 gallons of coolant, wiped off best i could all signs of coolant. Drive 40 miles, got out and checked everything was dry. After another 30 miles lightning bolt flashed. Pulled over and checked. Coolant coming out of air hole in overflow bottle sight glass showed full. Stopped 40 miles later coolant still coming out of overflow bottle sight glass still showing full. Ran in 11th and 12th gear to keeps rmps above 1500 thinking egr valve would open less if i kept the rpms up and running free. After another 80 miles no coolant coming out sight glass showed full. Lightning bolt came on 2 more times when in hard pull in the next 180 miles. At home now, sight glass shows full, overflow full to hole in cap.

I replaced the egr cooler, cleaned screen at 122,000 miles. It has 132,000 on it now.

Anybody got any ideas? besides a 100 pounds of C4.

Cruising west on I70 in Kansas last night about 11 pm. Just got on the turnpike, stopped to check my load and grab a cup of coffee. Stopped for about 10 minutes, temperature 2 below zero 40 mph wind gusts. Beautiful night! When i jumped back in the truck to leave, shut down alarm engine died. Checked code 17, raised hood no coolant in sight glass. Noticed coolant had been spraying out of air hole in coolant overflow tank. Noticed coolant on inside of hood on driver side steer axle suspension parts. Put in 1 and 3/4 gallons of coolant, wiped off best i could all signs of coolant. Drive 40 miles, got out and checked everything was dry. After another 30 miles lightning bolt flashed. Pulled over and checked. Coolant coming out of air hole in overflow bottle sight glass showed full. Stopped 40 miles later coolant still coming out of overflow bottle sight glass still showing full. Ran in 11th and 12th gear to keeps rmps above 1500 thinking egr valve would open less if i kept the rpms up and running free. After another 80 miles no coolant coming out sight glass showed full. Lightning bolt came on 2 more times when in hard pull in the next 180 miles. At home now, sight glass shows full, overflow full to hole in cap.

I replaced the egr cooler, cleaned screen at 122,000 miles. It has 132,000 on it now.

Anybody got any ideas? besides a 100 pounds of C4.

I seem to remember a company truck I was driving back in '04 doing that...it wasn't a new truck, either (axle back CH). Not sure what the problem turned out to be, but I do remember Mack had it for a few days. I think they pulled the heads or something...been a while & it wasn't my truck, so I didn't really ask for too many details. :(

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Well...I know a guy who's burnt up: a house, a shop, a tractor, 2 pickup trucks, and a combine...collected the insurance on all of it and came away smelling like roses.

So...I thought I saw you were looking for a part-time driver... :rolleyes:

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

Could be bad water pump , the water pump can suck air through the weep hole and put it in the cooling system and blow coolant out of the overflow jug. Pm me and I think I can send you the Mack service bulletin on this, it shows you how to check several things.

• Like 1

I seem to remember a company truck I was driving back in '04 doing that...it wasn't a new truck, either (axle back CH). Not sure what the problem turned out to be, but I do remember Mack had it for a few days. I think they pulled the heads or something...been a while & it wasn't my truck, so I didn't really ask for too many details. :(

Leaking compression perhaps?

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Bubbles in the radiator usually means bad head gaskets.

I have had a bunch of experiance with a 'B-63' but this new fangled stuff - - - I not much help.

Had another machanic in the S.L.C.,UT Mack dealership that got nicknamed 'Bubbles'.

I thought he was going to own that truck, or at least marry it.

Took him for ever to find the problem.

That may not be what you want to hear!!! LOL

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

Bubbles in the radiator usually means bad head gaskets.

I have had a bunch of experiance with a 'B-63' but this new fangled stuff - - - I not much help.

Had another machanic in the S.L.C.,UT Mack dealership that got nicknamed 'Bubbles'.

I thought he was going to own that truck, or at least marry it.

Took him for ever to find the problem.

That may not be what you want to hear!!! LOL

Packer

Time to plug off that egr valve!

it will suck if it is another egr cooler. but on the other hannd thats a pretty easy fix compared to a head gasket or something thats hard to find cost a lot to chase unknowns. the lightning bolt flashes have got me worried,it wont stay on long enough to get code.

it will suck if it is another egr cooler. but on the other hannd thats a pretty easy fix compared to a head gasket or something thats hard to find cost a lot to chase unknowns. the lightning bolt flashes have got me worried,it wont stay on long enough to get code.

bigen I'm having the exact same problem of pushing out coolant right now myself. Right now I'm checking the water pump and came by to read the mail. Sorry to hear about your woes. Was your dad a traveling salesman of some kind? Sounds like we must be kinfolks. :pat::wacko::pat:

Edited by JerryB

That lightning bolt (electronic malfunction) light might be a tough one to find. I had a new 2000 CH with the 460 in it and I used to get them all the time. But mine would actually shut off for a split second while driving down the highway (just the same as if you turned the key off and back on). Engine and all electronics would shut down. Brought it to dealer many times, no codes. They went through all the wiring, even changed all the little pins in the ecm plug. Even had the service manager come on a trip with me to catch it in the act. Had his computer plugged in and the darn truck ran perfect that day.

Last year I came across the new owner of this truck and asked him how it's been. Said he loves the truck, but asked me "has it ever shut off on you before? It does it all the time."

I pulled 5 axle walking floors with that truck, grossing over 140,000 pounds all the time. As far as the truck it was perfect. Ride, handling, off road traction was great. Fuel mileage beat all the Detroits in the fleet I ran for and didn't matter if you did 55 or 85 m.p.h. But it was one of the lucky dogs that came with casting sand in the block. It went through five compressors, five air dryers, camshaft, dropped valves, injectors and the starter caught fire. And it was like a light switch. One hill it wouldn't pull, then the next 12%'er you thought the clutch was slipping because the rpm's would start climbing, then suddenly it would be pulling like a train.

That was the the truck that scared me into buying an International.

The 6 years or so of experience I've had with driving an IH wouldn't scare me into buying one. I drove a 9200 for a year or so and a 9900i for about 5 years. They weren't the fanciest things on the road but that 9900 was probably the worst riding truck I've ever drove. Rode like it had concrete wheels bolted right to the frame. They're not a bad looking truck when done up right...though there's one for sale on truckpaper.com that I'd consider...C-15 475hp. Maybe it's because I was raised to think that I need the most powerful, biggest motor available in said vehicle...but Mack doesn't quite do it for me in that dept.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

Gambi80 I had a 2002 9900i, highrise, Cat powered. It was a beautiful truck but you are right about the ride. It had 14000 front/46000 rears same as the 2000 CH before it. But with the CH I could drive down a logging road with an open cup of coffee in the cupholders, when I got the binder, I pulled out of the yard on paved highway and the coffee was blowing out the breather hole in my travel mug lid like a giser! But today at 1.4 million km's that binder/cat is still running up and down the highway with nothing but a water pump. Motor has never been opened up except valve sets.

That lightning bolt (electronic malfunction) light might be a tough one to find. I had a new 2000 CH with the 460 in it and I used to get them all the time. But mine would actually shut off for a split second while driving down the highway (just the same as if you turned the key off and back on). Engine and all electronics would shut down. Brought it to dealer many times, no codes. They went through all the wiring, even changed all the little pins in the ecm plug. Even had the service manager come on a trip with me to catch it in the act. Had his computer plugged in and the darn truck ran perfect that day.

Last year I came across the new owner of this truck and asked him how it's been. Said he loves the truck, but asked me "has it ever shut off on you before? It does it all the time."

I pulled 5 axle walking floors with that truck, grossing over 140,000 pounds all the time. As far as the truck it was perfect. Ride, handling, off road traction was great. Fuel mileage beat all the Detroits in the fleet I ran for and didn't matter if you did 55 or 85 m.p.h. But it was one of the lucky dogs that came with casting sand in the block. It went through five compressors, five air dryers, camshaft, dropped valves, injectors and the starter caught fire. And it was like a light switch. One hill it wouldn't pull, then the next 12%'er you thought the clutch was slipping because the rpm's would start climbing, then suddenly it would be pulling like a train.

its those day's when it runs perfect that keep me hangin on.

kinda like some women ive known. cant help coming back for more hoping they wont break your hart again, but knowing they are going to

• 4 weeks later...

When I was hauling pneumatic tankers, some of us would be sent to MO to swap some older trucks for new ones. I do remember a bunch of the 2000 models having a problem with shutting down. I think it was at 6:00 pm every day. We found this out in northern AL, bobtailing home with the new tractors. Finally got word from Mack that it was a software issue and that we just needed to let the trucks sit for 30 minutes and they'd be fine.

We stopped for dinner, and when we were ready to go, so were the trucks. Mack had a software fix sent down so we could get 'em into service.

When I was hauling pneumatic tankers, some of us would be sent to MO to swap some older trucks for new ones. I do remember a bunch of the 2000 models having a problem with shutting down. I think it was at 6:00 pm every day. We found this out in northern AL, bobtailing home with the new tractors. Finally got word from Mack that it was a software issue and that we just needed to let the trucks sit for 30 minutes and they'd be fine.

We stopped for dinner, and when we were ready to go, so were the trucks. Mack had a software fix sent down so we could get 'em into service.

This was true, it was a Y2K glitch in the Mack software. We only had a few trucks do it here and a software download fixed it.

We ran into several 2000 Macks that did this. It turned out to be the starter solnoid on the starter. Mack came up with a service bulletin about it, sometimes it would set a 9-2 code but most time it happened so fast it didnt set a code. In a hard pull the engine would lean to the right and a pin inside the sarter solnoid would fall over and short out the battery cable/power supply and this would kill the engine and then the engine would lean back the other way and the pin would fall back away from the power supply and engine would run OK. This only happened on the big Delco starters not the little foreign made starters (those would just catch fire and burn the truck down)

i had a 1998 ch did that took months to find it was gas pedal piece of grit in servo. i never use air hose to blow the floor board clean, vac only.