Duplex Transmission Oil

Mike

I have inspected for the first time my transmission oil in the duplex. When I put my finger inside to see if the oil was near the filler plug....it was, but a strange thing I noticed was.....the oil was foamy with air and bubbles and the smell was of an old and whipped state of being. When I would start the truck it would start leaking oil where the flywheel or front shaft is located when the truck got warmed up or when I would drive it up and down the driveway. My question is can I use an oil with the oil that is now inside that will clean the old oil out of the transmission without damaging results to the gears? And what oil would ya recommend?

THX

mike :mack1:

I have inspected for the first time my transmission oil in the duplex. When I put my finger inside to see if the oil was near the filler plug....it was, but a strange thing I noticed was.....the oil was foamy with air and bubbles and the smell was of an old and whipped state of being. When I would start the truck it would start leaking oil where the flywheel or front shaft is located when the truck got warmed up or when I would drive it up and down the driveway. My question is can I use an oil with the oil that is now inside that will clean the old oil out of the transmission without damaging results to the gears? And what oil would ya recommend?

THX

I would say run the truck long enough to warm up the oil in the trans and then drain it and let it drip out for a day and then re fill with 80/90.As far as the leak sounds like the seal on the input shaft is bad,the only way to fix that would be to pull the trans out or maybe try some of that seal stop leak,believe it or not that stuff works.

There are no seals on the front of them transmissions,The cover is a real tight fit around the input shaft that has reverse threads that push the oil back, so if the pilot bearing or the input shaft bearing gets loose they can wear out the threads or score the cover and leak. terry

There are no seals on the front of them transmissions,The cover is a real tight fit around the input shaft that has reverse threads that push the oil back, so if the pilot bearing or the input shaft bearing gets loose they can wear out the threads or score the cover and leak. terry

....Or if the bellhousing is loose on the back of the engine that could cause the input shaft to wear on the inside of the collar too. Loose bellhousings were a common ocurrence with that setup. A loose bellhousing will also eventually result in tearing the center out of the clutch disc(s)

85W90 gear oil for the trans.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

....Or if the bellhousing is loose on the back of the engine that could cause the input shaft to wear on the inside of the collar too. Loose bellhousings were a common ocurrence with that setup. A loose bellhousing will also eventually result in tearing the center out of the clutch disc(s)

85W90 gear oil for the trans.

Hi Herb,

Sounds like the transmission needs to come out for inspection, would you agree?

mike

Hi Herb,

Sounds like the transmission needs to come out for inspection, would you agree?

mike

If it is leaking oil out around the input shaft, then yes, I would agree.

Before you pull the trans, have an assistant work the clutch pedal up & down while you're under the truck with a light, watching the interface of the bellhousing and engine block.

If the bellhousing is loose, you'll be able to see slight movement of the bellhousing in relation to the block as the clutch throwout action tries to push the bellhousing away from the engine each time the clutch pedal is depressed.

If it is leaking oil out around the input shaft, then yes, I would agree.

Before you pull the trans, have an assistant work the clutch pedal up & down while you're under the truck with a light, watching the interface of the bellhousing and engine block.

If the bellhousing is loose, you'll be able to see slight movement of the bellhousing in relation to the block as the clutch throwout action tries to push the bellhousing away from the engine each time the clutch pedal is depressed.

This may take me a week or so to find the right assistant for the job. HUH...I might have to find a border hopper that needs a few dollars.....:lol:.... Well it's worth a try. I may have to call Nikki while the ole hound dog is away since she knows a thing or two about these B's.

mike

Or.....you could pull the floor panel out and look down for yourself as you push the pedal? I know, not as pleasant to look at as Nikki, but would get the job done sooner.

Hey Larry,

The former owner replaced the whole floor with a solid piece of metal. So now I'll have to settle for an assistant. Nikki looks good on the ladder don't you think?.....but I can't figure why Rob would have caught that photo of her on the ladder and showed everyone?He musta had one of his moments.

mike

Nikki should be on the bottom

Kikki " OK Mike, push it in nice and slow"

Mike " Like that good"

Nikki "Yeah, thats real good"

Mike " How bout harder or faster"

Mike' I'm done"

Nikki " Yup, thats some kind of leak ya got there"

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Hey Larry,

The former owner replaced the whole floor with a solid piece of metal.

WTF?? Even when I replaced my WHOLE floor, I still reused the panel. Wasn't that hard to do, and sure makes maintenance easier.

Guess your stuck with Nikki? Damn.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Here is a cross sectional view and side view of a typical Mack transmission. There is a skimmer/baffle on the upper side of the transmission that catches particles in the gear oil that are thrown up by gear movement. There is a plug that you can remove and drain the trash from this skimmer.

It is called a magnetic oil cleaner with a baffle. Remove this plug and clean out the baffle area when you change your oil. Here is a picture

post-1351-12580843936654_thumb.jpg

David

Here is a cross sectional view and side view of a typical Mack transmission. There is a skimmer/baffle on the upper side of the transmission that catches particles in the gear oil that are thrown up by gear movement. There is a plug that you can remove and drain the trash from this skimmer.

It is called a magnetic oil cleaner with a baffle. Remove this plug and clean out the baffle area when you change your oil. Here is a picture

Thanks Jason for the info. I hope your Mack is doing well.

mike

Herb,

I finally found someone to help me push the clutch down while I lay on the floor looking up at the transmission. Yes I found that the transmission is trying to separate from the bellhousing. It looks to be maybe several thousands but, still is slightly moving in opposite directions from each other. I poured just alittle over a quart of 80w90 inside the filler hole and screwed the plug back on. I hope when I get all my projects on the garage done that i'll get the transmission out. I would have thought more oil would have been used by the leakage that was observed and only a quart low.

Thanks for your help guys!!!

mike :SMOKIE-LFT:

Hey Larry,

The former owner replaced the whole floor with a solid piece of metal. So now I'll have to settle for an assistant. Nikki looks good on the ladder don't you think?.....but I can't figure why Rob would have caught that photo of her on the ladder and showed everyone?He musta had one of his moments.

mike

Chuck Norris

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

THX

mine was the same way, foamy, except it was low too. I pulled the drain plugs and refilled both boxes with new 85/90 gear oil, no problems since. I am gonna check my bellhousing bolts though, never thought of that before.

Whats up Tom,

No one here has heard of 85w90 but ya can buy all day 80w90 or 85w140. I bought Shell since i'm kinda partial to it now. So I come home with 80w90. Started it up this morning and to my surprise "kinda" the shutter cylinder popped open like it's supposed to. So now I can put the shutters back on and the radiator shroud. One more week then, I can drive on my new driveway, can hardly wait..... Hey, when are we going to visit you know who?...I can see him now putting up xmas lights on the roof of the garage and house. Bet that would be a site to see.

mike

Whats up Tom,

No one here has heard of 85w90 but ya can buy all day 80w90 or 85w140. I bought Shell since i'm kinda partial to it now. So I come home with 80w90. Started it up this morning and to my surprise "kinda" the shutter cylinder popped open like it's supposed to. So now I can put the shutters back on and the radiator shroud. One more week then, I can drive on my new driveway, can hardly wait..... Hey, when are we going to visit you know who?...I can see him now putting up xmas lights on the roof of the garage and house. Bet that would be a site to see.

mike

I probably used 80/90 too, I just said 85/90 because Herb did and I figured he knew what he was talking about, where I just fake it. I bought gallon jugs of it and a top with a hose so you could use them like a squirt bottle.

And I happened to pass by Rob's house this week and snapped a picture-unfortunately it was too late to stop and say "howdy" cuz I had to be in Miami the next morning with that load of watermelons.

P.S.-

Tom now thats funny.....All I got to do is go get Rowdy Rebel with all his guns and tear Chuckie up! :thumb:

I'm ready to get on with draining the tranny and figure the best thing to do is drive the truck to get it hot but, can't get on the driveway yet. So since the tranny has an internal pump I wonder if just running it in the garage for 30 minutes will be adequate enough to drain both sumps, since the gear throwoff should be working while sitting.

mike :D

Tom now thats funny.....All I got to do is go get Rowdy Rebel with all his guns and tear Chuckie up! :thumb:

I'm ready to get on with draining the tranny and figure the best thing to do is drive the truck to get it hot but, can't get on the driveway yet. So since the tranny has an internal pump I wonder if just running it in the garage for 30 minutes will be adequate enough to drain both sumps, since the gear throwoff should be working while sitting.

I saw in one of my videos that they used to let the trans. warm up by putting the main in 2nd. gear and the aux. in neutral while the engine was warming up.

And you should hide if you see Chuck coming- he's prepared for anything.

Let it run for a while with the compound in neutral and the main in 4th or 5th, that way the gears in the back box will be turning too.

Mike, you said the bellhousing is loose where? Did you mean where the bellhousing attaches to the engine block, or where the trans attaches to the bellhousing?

Google won't search for Chuck Norris because it knows you don't find Chuck Norris, he finds you.

No standard web pages containing all your search terms were found.

Your search - Chuck Norris - did not match any documents.

Suggestions:

Run, before he finds you

Try a different person

NoChuckNorris.com on Facebook

Let it run for a while with the compound in neutral and the main in 4th or 5th, that way the gears in the back box will be turning too.

Mike, you said the bellhousing is loose where? Did you mean where the bellhousing attaches to the engine block, or where the trans attaches to the bellhousing?

Herb,

It is loose where the transmission attaches to the bellhousing. I can see where it moves a couple of thousandths. There is NO movement at engine to bellhousing.

mike