Tired Of Dot Crap

farmer52

I am about ready to sell my truck. I received a letter earlier in September from the DOT asking me to schedule my initial DOT audit. I called the number several times and was finally able to talk to a person. I explained my operation (if you want to call it that) and that I am not for hire nor do I plan to be. I explained this is a hobby and I am planning to take my truck to shows and also plan to purchase a trailer to haul my tractors to shows. The DOT person agreed I was "not a motor carrier" but I still need to have all the "items" in order. The DOT person said I needed this if I ever get stopped for a road side inspection. I suggested "maybe you could issue a letter" explaining that I am exempt. The DOT person agreed with me but I could "feel" the "it will be a cold day in Hxxx" over the phone. The DOT person said they would "run it up the flag pole" and get back to me. That was over a week ago.

This DOT stuff is a bunch of crap. I am required to have an employment application, a random drug test program, and my name plastered on the side of the truck. I understand the importance of operating and maintianing the truck for safe operation but is all this other stuff necessary for a private individual? It appears the DOT does not understand there are persons that do this for a hobby. :(

Sorry for the rant.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I am about ready to sell my truck. I received a letter earlier in September from the DOT asking me to schedule my initial DOT audit. I called the number several times and was finally able to talk to a person. I explained my operation (if you want to call it that) and that I am not for hire nor do I plan to be. I explained this is a hobby and I am planning to take my truck to shows and also plan to purchase a trailer to haul my tractors to shows. The DOT person agreed I was "not a motor carrier" but I still need to have all the "items" in order. The DOT person said I needed this if I ever get stopped for a road side inspection. I suggested "maybe you could issue a letter" explaining that I am exempt. The DOT person agreed with me but I could "feel" the "it will be a cold day in Hxxx" over the phone. The DOT person said they would "run it up the flag pole" and get back to me. That was over a week ago.

This DOT stuff is a bunch of crap. I am required to have an employment application, a random drug test program, and my name plastered on the side of the truck. I understand the importance of operating and maintianing the truck for safe operation but is all this other stuff necessary for a private individual? It appears the DOT does not understand there are persons that do this for a hobby. :(

Sorry for the rant.

I don't know if any of this helps, but i've noticed on the "Trucks With 2 Sticks" videos, from Dr. Bill Comcowich, that a lot of the trucks on the video have "antique vehicle-not for hire" on the doors.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Can't wait for my turn. I am a one-man operation. This way I don't have to deal with PEOPLE and their PROBLEMS. Random drug test, I might make myself aware that one is coming up.

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Can't wait for my turn. I am a one-man operation. This way I don't have to deal with PEOPLE and their PROBLEMS. Random drug test, I might make myself aware that one is coming up.

Better review the regs. Must be a group of at least 2 people, and a certain % of the group must be random tested each year. This is one they are really cracking down on. As stupid as it sounds, they also will want to check your driver file on yourself, which must include an application for employment, work history background check (yeah...you have to send each of your previous employers a form for them to verify that you actually worked for them), and must also complete the annual review (including both the signed statement about any violations AND an MVR check through the DMV).

You, as a driver, must follow all of the regs that any other driver must follow.

You, as a carrier, must follow all of the regs that any other carrier must follow.

Even if you are a 1-truck operation.

Not sure if there are any "hobby truck" exemptions for the regs...unless you register below 26000. That might help bypass a lot of the CMV regulations...

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Better review the regs. Must be a group of at least 2 people, and a certain % of the group must be random tested each year. This is one they are really cracking down on. As stupid as it sounds, they also will want to check your driver file on yourself, which must include an application for employment, work history background check (yeah...you have to send each of your previous employers a form for them to verify that you actually worked for them), and must also complete the annual review (including both the signed statement about any violations AND an MVR check through the DMV).

You, as a driver, must follow all of the regs that any other driver must follow.

You, as a carrier, must follow all of the regs that any other carrier must follow.

Even if you are a 1-truck operation.

Not sure if there are any "hobby truck" exemptions for the regs...unless you register below 26000. That might help bypass a lot of the CMV regulations...

Previous employers - even though none of them are trucking related? Again, a bunch of BS.

Sounds like BIG BLUE may have a FOR SALE sign in the window soon. Otherwise I will have to stay inside the Ohio border. At least I hope I can drive within the state without doing all this BS. So much for tractor shows (my tractors are in PA), Watts show, Lititz show, etc. :angry:

Ken

Other dog is on the right track. You DO NOT need to even register as a motor carrier or have a DOT number unless you are "for hire" and charging a fee for your service. I have my F-model registered with antique plates and never get bothered on the road or by the desk jockeys. Your MH is not old enough for antique plates but maybe it could be classed as a personal pickup truck or recreational vehicle.

Sorry to hear about all the BS. That is the catch with trying to use a "newer" truck, as it falls under all that crap. I had "truck" plates on mine the first year I had it, including IFTA, but quickly ditched it all for Historical tags to eliminate the hassles. Eight years so far with only ONE stop/question by scalemaster. I don't even stop at scales now since they changed the signs to "commercial trucks only", instead of "all trucks".

Start looking for "pre 84" truck and try again.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

is your truck plated as an antieque? if it is its easy and the DOT does not come into play at all. Plate and insurace and thats all you need.

If not you may have to plate it for milage or truck flat weight. In Il guys with newer trucks that cant be plated as a antieque will put the lowest weight/milage plate that they can buy. ends up costing them around $500. then the issue is insurace. becasue it is plated as a truck you need to have the proper coverage. unless you can find a company that will talk to you and understand your situation. Its a PITA if the truck is not older than 25 years old.

is your truck plated as an antieque? if it is its easy and the DOT does not come into play at all. Plate and insurace and thats all you need.

If not you may have to plate it for milage or truck flat weight. In Il guys with newer trucks that cant be plated as a antieque will put the lowest weight/milage plate that they can buy. ends up costing them around $500. then the issue is insurace. becasue it is plated as a truck you need to have the proper coverage. unless you can find a company that will talk to you and understand your situation. Its a PITA if the truck is not older than 25 years old.

I have farm plates on the truck and the fee is based on the empty weight (12,970#). The plates (~$220/yr) and insurance are very resonable. Farm plates are limited to 150 mile radius of home but that will get me out of the state. The plate looks like a normal vehicle. To be licensed in OH as a Historical vehicle it must be 25 years old (only 8 more years to go!). Of course I could run "bare" and hopefully the DOT would not notice. I decided today to put it up for sale. :( (Check the For Sale forum)

Ken

It's pretty sad. I'm sure you're in good health and most likely put few miles on your truck(s) a year.

However, some old couple with oxygen tubes hooked to their noses can hurl a 40ft long motorhome with trailer down the highway with no more than a standard driver license.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

It's pretty sad. I'm sure you're in good health and most likely put few miles on your truck(s) a year.

However, some old couple with oxygen tubes hooked to their noses can hurl a 40ft long motorhome with trailer down the highway with no more than a standard driver license.

That is what really bites. Grandpa and grandma (no offense anyone) can drive their motorhome and not worry about CDL, drug tests, HOS, and DOT. It does not make sense but then again we are dealing with the government. I only have one truck (the MH) but drive my personal vehicle over 30K miles per year. I am employed in a business that is not directly related to the trucking industry but DOT counts my time "in the office" as "on-duty not driving". I was told driving my personal vehicle does not count for HOS. I asked the DOT official if I could drive 12 hours in my personal vehicle and then get in a truck and drive legally? He said "yes". :pat:

Ken

Massachusetts RMV has 'built into' their yearly computerized inspection program, that if your truck is plated as ANTIQUE, has Massachusetts PAS type plates, and is over 10,000 pounds gvw, you will have to have a Commercial Truck Inspection, just like the big rigs. Even though, the Mass. & Fed. regs. specifically say that antique trucks do not have to pass the required commercial inspection procedures. If it has a pickup bed, then a non-commercial inspection, even though you're over 10K..

And having the Commercial inspection sticker, who knows what other things you have to do, ie stop at weigh stations, CDL, drug tests, driving records stuff, daily inspection sheets, etc., etc. Nobody thought about that, they don't know about these things, and they don't care.

I know of one antique truck that is sitting in a locked garage batteries disconnected, gas tank drained, and no plans on being re-registered for 2010. Just means more money that the State of Massadchusetts won't be getting, ie registration fee, gas tax, excise tax, sales tax for parts needed, and no insurance needed, so the insurance company will be hurting.

The insurance company will be hurting? The state may but insurance is the biggest scam going.

Regarding DOT, ever seen a p/u with front wheels barely on the ground and no one stops him?

Watched a p/u with a loaded trailer hop and skid thru a red light, trailer was loaded so bad.

AND NOBODY CARES

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

The insurance company will be hurting? The state may but insurance is the biggest scam going.

Regarding DOT, ever seen a p/u with front wheels barely on the ground and no one stops him?

Watched a p/u with a loaded trailer hop and skid thru a red light, trailer was loaded so bad.

AND NOBODY CARES

I've done that MANY times....'cept not with a trailer...just had the truck loaded 'til the bumper was dragging :lol:

I HAVE had a wrecker loaded like that, though...F350 wrecker and had a full size p/u with a bed full of firewood on the hook. Every time I hit a bump, the steers would come off the ground. Fun ride :banana:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

The best one I've seen is an old farmer down at our local elevator who has a 1-ton early 80's Chevy dually with box sides on it he uses to haul about 150 bushels of grain. Every time he goes to pull up on the scale or take off he pops a wheelie.

Anyway, the RV crowd still gets under my skin. I need a CDL to pull a goose-neck trailer with my pickup and should have my pickup inspected twice a year per Illinois DOT. But my g/f's grandparents can hitch up their 40ft 5th wheel camper and head to Florida without batting an eyelash.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

Sorry to hear about all the BS. That is the catch with trying to use a "newer" truck, as it falls under all that crap. I had "truck" plates on mine the first year I had it, including IFTA, but quickly ditched it all for Historical tags to eliminate the hassles. Eight years so far with only ONE stop/question by scalemaster. I don't even stop at scales now since they changed the signs to "commercial trucks only", instead of "all trucks".

Start looking for "pre 84" truck and try again.

Hey Larry

Even with historical tags and a free pass go passed the scales... Do you still have to fill out a pretrip or posttrip form on the days you use your truck?

GLENN

GRANDKIDS :Gods little gift to us for not killing our kids while they were growing up

All I want, is just to be luv'd and for my Check Engine light to go out on my Volvo.

Nope, not that I don't do pretrips, but no records of them. I'm anal about walk arounds and making sure stuff is good, because I don't want problems on the road.

Hey Larry,

I had to pick up a load of firebrick in East Canton this week and ran rt. 30 across out of Pa. Saw a nice looking red and black B-model somewhere between Minerva and East Canton. Didn't get a picture because I wasn't prepared, but it was a red tandem with black fenders, just cab & chassis. Ever get out that way?

Ya, familiar with it. Heard about it earlier this summer, so as we took a bike ride that way one Sunday we stopped and looked at it. Pretty rough, but probably savable. Never did get a number, likely owned by the drilling company behind it? If I recall, it had a normally aspirated 673 with a quadbox. Don't recall the gear ratio out back? something like hi 5's or lo 6's.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

• 2 weeks later...

Ya, familiar with it. Heard about it earlier this summer, so as we took a bike ride that way one Sunday we stopped and looked at it. Pretty rough, but probably savable. Never did get a number, likely owned by the drilling company behind it? If I recall, it had a normally aspirated 673 with a quadbox. Don't recall the gear ratio out back? something like hi 5's or lo 6's.

somebody must have saved it, looked like new paint on it. looked pretty sharp just passing by it.

Well, wonder if someone did something with it since I saw it? I recall it being "shiny" but the paint wasn't much more then a 50ft'r job.

probably not,I was just passing by and it was indeed shiny. I was 83' 6'' away from it running 57.8 mph.

• 3 weeks later...

Other dog is on the right track. You DO NOT need to even register as a motor carrier or have a DOT number unless you are "for hire" and charging a fee for your service.

wrong you have to have a DOT on any thing over 26k, even if its for the farm and not for hire $400.00 fine for not having it found that one out the hard way, there busting a bunch of desiel pickup and goosenecks for not having them on the side of the truck too not to long ago it was just send in $20 and get a number now it comes with a 6hr visit from the DOT and bunch of useless regulations for a one or two truck operation