Looking For Advice

RLStroope

Hello to all,

I think I am about to join the world of Mack owners. I have come accross a 1956 Model B single axel with the integral sleeper. I spoke with with the owner and he is willing sell. I have not yet touched the truck but it appears to be complete and in good condition. The owner said he had just rebuilt the engine and brakes before he parked it and that it will run and is driveable. Apparently it was originally built for Mayflower. With this little bit of information can anyone tell me what I should expect to pay for the truck?

Thanks for any advice,

Rich

The sleeper cab is a fairly rare today,mainly because they rusted worse than a regular B cab,so if it's in good shape,runs and drives good,etc,5 to 7,000 probably wouldn't be too out of line,but I sure wouldn't come right out and offer him that,let him price it and go from there.

I checked the truck out today. Tags are 1995 so it has probably not been on the road since but would need to verify. Overall the truck is in good physical shape and does not look like it has been abused. It has rust-through in a couple of places, mainly on the cab. From what I could tell the sleeper looks real good. The majority of the rust I noticed was at the top of the cab around the windows (visible from the inside on the sheet metal as well as a spot on the upper driver side and at the upper drivers door hinge. Looks like it may have been a double axle at one time and them was shortened (just a guess) but the frame looks good. The owner was not around so I could not ask questions. Overall I think this is a very restorable B-Mack. Since I am only a big truck wannabe and have no experience with big trucks let alone a B-Mack it is probably too much for me at this stage of my life. The owner wants $2000 for the truck. I have not completely convinced myself to walk away but I really hate to see it sit there and continue to decline if I do. If anyone is interested in rescuing this great truck let me know. I can email some pictures I took today and or put them in contact with the owner and/or get more info as needed. Truck is located in Central Texas.

Rich

• 2 months later...

I checked the truck out today. Tags are 1995 so it has probably not been on the road since but would need to verify. Overall the truck is in good physical shape and does not look like it has been abused. It has rust-through in a couple of places, mainly on the cab. From what I could tell the sleeper looks real good. The majority of the rust I noticed was at the top of the cab around the windows (visible from the inside on the sheet metal as well as a spot on the upper driver side and at the upper drivers door hinge. Looks like it may have been a double axle at one time and them was shortened (just a guess) but the frame looks good. The owner was not around so I could not ask questions. Overall I think this is a very restorable B-Mack. Since I am only a big truck wannabe and have no experience with big trucks let alone a B-Mack it is probably too much for me at this stage of my life. The owner wants $2000 for the truck. I have not completely convinced myself to walk away but I really hate to see it sit there and continue to decline if I do. If anyone is interested in rescuing this great truck let me know. I can email some pictures I took today and or put them in contact with the owner and/or get more info as needed. Truck is located in Central Texas.

Rich

keep a close eye on this one, the price is very fair and you should buy it, i will if you don,t want it. if you do buy it we will walk you through your project so don't be shy. go for it. luck to you Joe

What --- $2000 for an integral sleeper B that ain't rusted out so bad that you can't throw a cat through it

with the doors shut!!!!!!!!! Good Lord son, go buy this thing NOW - hello you can't buy a junk riding lawn

mower without a bed for that money. Go, go ,go ,go, now,now, now, now. Be sure to get a clear title, be sure

sure serial number on frame matches serial number on title, BUY NOW!!!! Send Pictures quick. Call or email

ole Fuzzy Buzzard to get this one in the B Model Registry (oldmacksrus.com) Hurry, Hurry!!!!!!!

Tom

Thanks guys, but the problem for me is that I don't have a place to work on the the truck. When I left Va. I gave up my shop and now live in a CCR controlled tract in Texas. Combine that with I know nothing of big trucks (wish I did and appreciate the offer on advice) it makes the problem worse. I pass the truck several time a week and I'll tell you it calls to me, but right now it doesn't look feasable. I was hoping that maybe someone out there might be interested in saving it..

Rich

What --- $2000 for an integral sleeper B that ain't rusted out so bad that you can't throw a cat through it

with the doors shut!!!!!!!!! Good Lord son, go buy this thing NOW - hello you can't buy a junk riding lawn

mower without a bed for that money. Go, go ,go ,go, now,now, now, now. Be sure to get a clear title, be sure

sure serial number on frame matches serial number on title, BUY NOW!!!! Send Pictures quick. Call or email

ole Fuzzy Buzzard to get this one in the B Model Registry (oldmacksrus.com) Hurry, Hurry!!!!!!!

Tom

Cant throw a cat through it.. Now thats funny.....

How about putting in a storage lot and cover it with a big tarp until you can make some contacts and find the ole girl a nice place for her makeover?

Still the Greatest Name in Trucks...Bulldogs rule, The rest drool....

Member ATHS and ATCA...

Sweet! You better buy it before Fuzzy finds out where it is! :thumb: Seriously, it looks pretty good...it would be a good investment.

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

• 1 month later...

Hello to all,

I think I am about to join the world of Mack owners. I have come accross a 1956 Model B single axel with the integral sleeper. I spoke with with the owner and he is willing sell. I have not yet touched the truck but it appears to be complete and in good condition. The owner said he had just rebuilt the engine and brakes before he parked it and that it will run and is driveable. Apparently it was originally built for Mayflower. With this little bit of information can anyone tell me what I should expect to pay for the truck?

Thanks for any advice,

Rich

Just look it over for bad rust and if it is clean it could gofor 1500 to 4500 but it is hard to tell sight unseen.just remember anything can be repaired,se if he has any receipts to find out how far he went in rebuilding the engine and remember you can repower for less than a rebuild now especially on an old engine

• 2 weeks later...

To all tracking this thread: after talking to RLStroope, I met with the truck owner. Truck has a swapped out rear end and turbo added to the orriginal but now sleeved motor. Owner did all the work himself. After the work, it made one Texas/Colorado trip and was parked in 94/95 where it now sits.

I tried to put representative photos in my album. I think the album works. The worst of the visible rust is shown inside and outside at the windshield top.

All of you saw RLStroope posts prior to me so I am last in line. Owner wants $2000 as is. If none of you want the truck, I do and it will be my first at restoration. Please let me know by this Friday.

Discovering this Forum is financially deadly but very rewarding. I spent many an oilfield day in a Mack. Now I want to play with what I once had to work and sleep in.

Let me know if you want the truck.

Donny

• 1 year later...

Hey Rich,

I live in Tennessee, and also looking for a good B. So listen to these PROS, it may get snached up before you get home. I also have the same problem you do with no garage to store yet. But I do have the mechanic blood running through me.

Good Luck

Mike