Rude And Accidential Reply From Volvo

ThaddeusW

OK, I'll take a look at 'em.

A long term employee of John Deere in Moline was terminated when she sat on the copy machine and faxed a copy of her hindquarters to everybody on the bulk list stored in that machine.

Somebody did not see the humor in it I suppose.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I would be very careful, close scrutiny of this site would reveal some contributions that could be described as career limiting moves by current employees.. I joined the site to get a better understanding of the product and culture that goes with the Mack Product.

I will take a beating for being a volvo employee with no problems but I will and do always have the right of reply...

The response you have is perhaps only one of many we all get from time to time with any company.. why not even the score and recall something similar from Mack history...

I would be very careful, close scrutiny of this site would reveal some contributions that could be described as career limiting moves by current employees.. I joined the site to get a better understanding of the product and culture that goes with the Mack Product.

I will take a beating for being a volvo employee with no problems but I will and do always have the right of reply...

The response you have is perhaps only one of many we all get from time to time with any company.. why not even the score and recall something similar from Mack history...

I'm afraid you have lost me in your path of progression. "Taking a beating" because you work for a company is not a real issue with most anything conveyed on this site. Hell, you work for an employer, (Volvo/Mack in this case) and if that employer doesn't provide the means to put food on your table, it would be your own fault. Nobody is beating on you, or plans to because of your employer.

Believe me when I say there are a lot of "die hard" Mack fans on this site including myself. This "group" is what the site was set up for, and will continue to cater to. I myself have several Mack trucks that are all considered antiques, and their working lives are finished. Each of them have earned their retirement, and are special to me in their own way.

I've been around this marque for many, many years but have never had a job driving any truck. I'm pushing 50 years old now and still remember having my diaper changed in the front seat of a B model Mack truck. Mack trucks are a part of my family history, and a large part of my adolescent years. When all the teenage boys had to have their Camaro's, Mustangs, and the like, I had a B model Mack, along with a nice car.

To date, I have never had a desire to own anything that Volvo produces and seriously doubt I will. I mean no disrespect or offense by my comments as their products are probably just as good as most others' built at this time. I do not think they will have brand loyalty in years to come. Around these parts Volvo brand loyalty comes from a "low bid" to fleet purchasers. I have never seen an owner/operator purchase a Volvo class 8 truck myself, yet I've seen many Peterbilt, Kenworth, International, and the like routinely purchased although they are higher in initial cost.

Maybe I should say something as you suggest to even the score. Look at Brockway Trucks, and what Mack Trucks, (then owned by the Signal Companies) did to them when they tried to compete in the same marketplace. They shut Brockway down which on many facets was an equal in performance and durability. This is business and will always be practiced. I don't think Volvo purchased Mack Trucks to eliminate them, but rather to penetrate a market they did not have a very good chance at otherwise.

In the future Mack Trucks will probably be "spun off" to another investment group when profits continue to decline in the lineup. It is most unfortunate that there is so little pride in a product from the workforce no matter what it is any longer.

Let me ask this of you. Are you proud enough of the product that Volvo/Mack is producing you plan to work for this company after you are eligible to retire, or because you know this company will "look after you" in your "golden years"? Or do you plan to exit just as soon as you can knowing it's "just a job" and you are a "cog in the wheel of the machine"? Usually the latter is soon replaced and life goes on.......

You mentioned "culture". Many of the participants on this site have a strong cultural background and uncompromised loyalty to Mack Trucks. This is of course including myself. Although it is not the same company started by the original Mack brothers, and through many ownership changes over the years, one thing had remained steadfast and that was quality of the product. It has been said many times and many ways that a Mack Truck costs more to purchase up front, but they are still running/producing when others are scrapped. While I've not seen, or visited a single Mack production facility, I think it was a "Cultural Crime" to move the "Truck Capitol of the World" out of the Lehigh Valley.

I've heard many, many times through the years: Built Like a Mack Truck, meaning quality, and durability/longevity from people not even involved with trucking. The phrase has been applied numerous times to items not related to trucks at all. I've heard nothing regarding Volvo at this time, but I can envision something like: The World According to Volvo, or, Volvo, Bettering Your World.

There is a reason there is such brand loyalty to Mack Trucks; I don't think Volvo recognizes it.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Well I have a retirement plan and it would involve staying here until then,

Yes I am proud on who I work for and what we have done to develope heavy vehicles.

The culture of Mack is recognised but your right in its not fully understood, nor is it often extended for us to embrace.

I want to work with the Bulldog but then I dont want to tattoo its picture on me...

Although not the right way to say it its like Mack branding needs to be loud and in your face where I think the Volvo culture is

quiet..

I do see the opportunities for growth, sure some things will happen that are hard to understand,

The aspect that Volvo are seen in the US as low bid options ( I take it this means low price)

as in Australia Volvo are in the higher end of pricing..

I dont have the history of Mack, and to be honest with the pace of life today its most likely I will talk about the titans the way you talk about B-models..

in 10 / 15 years time..

I do like the forum, Its content is educational and topical.. but the point I wanted to make is that I dont thinks its wise to create a big fanfare to create a greater scrutiny of some contributions..

I dont have the history of Mack, and to be honest with the pace of life today its most likely I will talk about the titans the way you talk about B-models..

in 10 / 15 years time..

Umm, not to come off as rude but we are talking about trucks that are over 30 and B's that are 50 years old. I still see old R's running freight everyday. I don't recall vintage volvo's being a collector item in the states. I understand both sides of this issue but the root problem in this thread was the attitude of the volvo employee towards a customer. She did not know who this person was and apparantly didn't think about it. He could have been a purchaser for a large outfit and could have really caused a problem. What if this was a major shareholder who had a family member file the initial e-mail complaint so as not to have a conflicting issue? These are all possibilities but it only takes one.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

When the MP engines came out, we had to use the new Mack/volvo VCADS software to read codes, do programing, ect, ect. It was a P.O.S. and we had all kinds of problems. I was on the phone with volvo IT alot and they were all very nice and helpfull. We would be on the phone sometimes for an hour with them to get things fixed. I actually have more faith in them than I do with the new One Call/ volvo Tech Support. But what she said was not cool and I hope she learned her lesson. With the VCADS issue, there was a rumor going around that volvo made the "Mack only" VCADS with errors in it on purpose so the Mack dealers would have to call volvo IT to get it fixed. Then Mack would get charged $$$ by volvo IT to fix it's own screw up. The fist thing volvo IT ask you when they answer the phone is "whats your dealer code" and if its a Mack dealer "get the meter running".

I would not take it as rude that I dont know the mack model History, I see older Volvo product running around here and it would nearly 40 yrs old.. old F86 and 88,s but I am not fanatical about trucks.. I appreaciate all thing mechanical but motorcycles are my passion.

For Vcads / Tech Tool I use it for both brands and it has bugs that they fix as soon as they can... They reference to help desk and dealer numbers is not to spin the meter faster, its so they can access where and why problems occur.. I find the guys on the help desk ( in Ghent ) really good, they are always happy to chat to people in other parts of the world..

First things first, I would hate to see anyone lose their job over something such as a stupid e-mail..so I hope the lady in question doesn't...ok got that out of the way. Now concerning OUR culture....We the Customer are MACK sir. We the customer are Volvo. We the Customer can make or break a company. Not the other way around. Not a threat just a fact.

Brand loyalty...let's talk about that. This week alone I have seen brand loyalty demonstrated for the Volvo brand. The company in question is U.S.xpress enterprises out of Chattanooga Tn. I do not work for them so this is only speculation on my part but I noticed on my trip out to Colorado this week that they are buying new Cascadia Freightshakers and International Prostar tractors. Another company that is abandoning Volvo is Swift tranport out of Az. Wonder why?????

Well it all has to do with fuel milage not ride.

Fact number 1 Volvo has the worst resale value in the market....maybe they can sale their used trucks in europe.

Fact number 2 Volvo trucks are ugly.... this fact is more of a percentage lets say roughly 95% of American truckers think this. I know cause they call me Motor Mouth and I talk to a lot of drivers...you know what we call the" End User"

Fact number 3 Volvo is destroying the Mack brand and has nothing to show for it. Definatly not market share.

Fact number 4 Volvo Does not listen to it's customers.If they did they would have had a Titan with a sleeper on it from day one. Peterbilt and Kenworth and every other truck maker who competes in the Heavy haul market do. Duuuuuuuhh.

Fact number 5 Mack is 5 times the truck volvo is. Even with out all the chrome and bells and whistles they routinly bring as much or more than all the "LARGE CARS" on the auction block.

Fact number 6 Volvo shot itself in the foot again by taking the Cummins option away and only using their engines in titan.I have always thought that if Mack had had more engine options they would have had more market share.Volvo does why not Mack.

Fact number 7 America is a nostalgic place and American are a nostalgic kinda people. Just about everyone on this site either owns an old truck or car or tractor or hell maybe even an old Singer sewing machine. So why Titan???? Why not Superliner? Dodge is making a killing off the Charger and chevy the Camero. Once again volvo shot themselves in the foot.

Well enough for now. Got to pay some bills with the money I made with my Mack truck.

post-2321-1250697640_thumb.jpg

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

Sounds like a very passionate customer...

Not sure I would agree with all those facts though..

Its interesting that all the mistakes are made by Volvo, Is the perception that everyone that worked for Mack has left the building and not involved in any of the decesions?? Do you think that the ones who are still there sit quietly like church mice and say nothing and have no input? Does this really sound like the brand culture you so proudly support?

For the Titan sleeper maybe there were good reasons not to offer it.. maybe the cab broke up under some operating conditions, then when did offer it it would be Volvos fault for selling something that was poor quality..

Good to hear your Multi brand commercial platform is a profitable investment..

Its interesting that all the mistakes are made by Volvo, Is the perception that everyone that worked for Mack has left the building and not involved in any of the decesions?? Do you think that the ones who are still there sit quietly like church mice and say nothing and have no input? Does this really sound like the brand culture you so proudly support?

For the Titan sleeper maybe there were good reasons not to offer it.. maybe the cab broke up under some operating conditions, then when did offer it it would be Volvos fault for selling something that was poor quality..

Good to hear your Multi brand commercial platform is a profitable investment..

Hi again; If I may ask, what has been your tenure of employment with the Volvo/Mack relationship? Was Mack Trucks your employer prior to the acquisition by Volvo, or the merger with Renault? I do not understand how an Australian employee would not have at the forefront of ones' mind, or fingertips, the rich history and loyalty to the Mack trucks of yesteryear that lead the charge opening up the Australian outback for commerce and expansion. If you look on any of the commercial website related to "Road Trains", the Mack Trucks figure prominently for reliabilty of service.

There is a reason for this, and the passion for the loyalty expressed.

Rob

Its interesting that all the mistakes are made by Volvo, Is the perception that everyone that worked for Mack has left the building and not involved in any of the decesions??

They may still be "in the building", but they know they have to tow the V*lv* line.

Do you think that the ones who are still there sit quietly like church mice and say nothing and have no input?

They probably know they have no input, therefore they say nothing, in hopes of collecting their wages until such time as they reach retirement.

Does this really sound like the brand culture you so proudly support?

Hell no! It's a dirty shame, ain't it?

What kind of an excuse is that? I thought that was the function of the engineering dept: If something won't stay together or perform properly, it's the job of the engineers to devise a way to make it work. Excuses are not a valid option.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

This guy must not have read any of Mack3P's ongoing updates from Allentown and how Mack employees either toe the line or are out the door. HK your right on the money with the Titan. If Peteoftrash can build a truck that can pull heavy haul on and off road Mack can do a hell of a lot better.

I have acknowledged that my vision has been an excellant investment but I also have said I have had Axle problems with the Eaton rears nearly losing an entire wheel hub and all once and multiple seal leaks due to lose hubs. Not to mention the inter axle drive shaft had to be replaced as well as the pinon seal in the rear drive axle but even with those problems the truck over all has done well. It is an 01 built I would imagine before all of volvo's medling started. That is why it such a good truck.It was designed buy Mack it is not a volvo with a Mack cab.

Matt

P.S. I do believe I made it clear that Mack could have enjoyed wider success if they had more engine options, I also believe that if they would have spent more time and money keeping up with advances in diesl technology they would have been more competetive. However as noted by me and others ,Renault was the parent company before Volvo and Standard oil before them. They had the reigns so now Volvo has the reigns and has lost market share ever since the take over. Just as President Obama is finding out, the resposibility now rests squarely on their shoulders. So does the blame.

NUFF SAID

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

I will stand my ground and say your kidding yourself on some of these assumptions..

You will have your opinion and I will have mine so we can agree to diagree..

I could fill the forum with similar stories and feelings from here, but why bother, it seems a pointless discussion.

If you dont want to accept that maybe there are some people working for the company that give a dam I am not bothered..

But then if I see something on the forum I might be able to help with I will ask myself why bother...

facts

1st... this is a Mack Fourm.. it is obvious that the views here are going to be totaly biased towards mack

2nd.. you are correct you have the right to reply and hold your views.

3rd... If history shows truth you will see that Volvo did away with other companys to advance itself in the market. Call it buisness or greed but that is a fact.

4th ... it is also true that Volvo has introduced some drivetrain componets and forced buyers to use off breed parts when they should have been options.

yada yada yada...

Its not hard to see that Volvo is doing what ever they can to force there way in and let mack live by luck or just die out. look at the Mack dealerships with the "new" volvo names out front, look at the drive train, look at the lack of options on a mack but are found on a volvo. anyone that has known about macks history will tell you that somthing is just not right here.. Do you see Pete not letting KW use "x" sleeper? or "X" suspention? they share options and do great. there owners love them. I dont see Volvo doing the same with mack. I would love to know who the designers are. How long they have worked at mack and what they know about them. In the US the avg O/O wants a long hood big power truck that has some class. I see 1 mack that fit this but its way over priced. Fleets want a plane truck that does the job. this is all that mack has in the market yet Volvo is taking all the good mack parts out of them.. why is the question? that would go aganist the whole reason for specing a tuff truck with all mack parts.. The titan was a great idea but as said who thought that a monster of a truck would be fine with no sleeper otion? was it a kid just out of school.? sound like a rookie mistake? I could point you to 5 diffent people here that could tell Volvo how to properly option or spec a truck but it just wont happen.Volvo wont listen and they will just contine to think they know what I want in a truck.

I will stand my ground and say your kidding yourself on some of these assumptions..

You will have your opinion and I will have mine so we can agree to diagree..

I could fill the forum with similar stories and feelings from here, but why bother, it seems a pointless discussion.

If you dont want to accept that maybe there are some people working for the company that give a dam I am not bothered..

But then if I see something on the forum I might be able to help with I will ask myself why bother...

Register c,

Would you say you have a majority voice in the policy and direction that Volvo takes in it's business model? Do you have a say in the marketing plan for future investment and profitability of the company? Are you a key stakeholder that provides direction to the CEO? Or are you a cog in the machine that believes in what you do (rightly, and with fervor), who is caught in a catch 22 with no other options?

If you can say yes to any of these questions, then I understand where you are coming from. If you say no to all of the above, then I say quit fooling yourself as you are not fooling anyone on this forum. You have not provided anything of substance to this board, you have not provided sage advice to get someone out of a jamb and back on the road, you have merely proffered your opinion that there is more to Volvo than meets the eye (or stock dividend). This is the wrong board to hang your hat on "Mother Volvo" and preach that all is well and good.

A number of people on this forum have been forecasting the demise of Mack, just as Brockway, Diamond T and others have gone away due to business models. It is a fact a business, but it doesn't make it any more pleasant or palatable. Mack has a proud history, with dare I say proud owners, mechanics, users, drivers, and admirers... It is unpleasant to watch the bumblings of Volvo destroy such a REPUTATION. It is sickening to watch the shackles applied to a company that catered to (or should I say, bent over backwards to SATISFY) its customers and their desire to build the perfect truck to their "one off" application (although that "one off" helped build market share and penetration, look that one up in your business model textbooks).

If you are pissed at the responses you have received and don't care to help, then don't. But don't act like a spoiled child and mope in the corner. Provide some technical input, some valuable knowledge and contribute! Life is too short to allow a thin skin to keep you out of the mix and enjoy the company. Jump in, have some fun and kill some time...you might learn a little more about subjects that have no relation to trucks (or motorcycles), but may be even more beneficial to you in the long run.

Scott

I firmly believe in what I do, in fact I enjoy what I do, there is no catch 22, If I dont like it I can leave.

Can I alone make the difference, probably not, Can I do my best to ensure the quality and STD of the Product on world class, Yes I think I have considerable input.