34k to 44k camelback

Does your 34k have aluminum spring caps instead of the cast iron ones used on 38's and up? I converted an R model over from a 34 to a 38 once. I went with slightly bigger springs, cast spring caps, and I added the cast iron wedges that fit between the spring and the inside wall of the cap. I also had an old DM at one time with a 44k on rubber bushings. I do believe the axle housings were a little heavier, though.

Jake

It was pretty labor intensive, but it sure made a difference. I spent around $2,000 a couple of years ago, but I changed the caps, springs, u bolts, bushings, and top and bottom pads. Plan on having a torque multiplier on hand. I think the u bolts torque to 1650 ft lbs.

Jake

It was pretty labor intensive, but it sure made a difference. I spent around $2,000 a couple of years ago, but I changed the caps, springs, u bolts, bushings, and top and bottom pads. Plan on having a torque multiplier on hand. I think the u bolts torque to 1650 ft lbs.

how about some better pics of that Western F model??

Your best option is to upgrade your 34,000lb suspension to 38,000lb. You'll notice a significant difference. There's a Mack service bulletin that tells you how to do it. I'd also recommend you use Mack urethane trunnion insulators (10QK276) and lower spring pads (10QK388).

Also, in the course of this upgrade, you could opt for the Mack 38,000lb "anti-sway" rear spring in lieu of the standard 38 rear spring. It's close to a 44,000 spring in capacity and was designed for loggers and other high center of gravity applications.

Part numbers for the springs, 38000 reg 4QK4001A, anti sway 4QK4003A and 44000 anti sway is 4QK4005A. I remember the Mack numberS. The new world numbers are not in my memory bank. If you use 4003A use 7QK3148P3 ubolt or 7QK3148P5 if you use 4005A spring. New washers are 35AX1435 and the nuts are 21AX131 for both ubolt part numbers. To tell the difference the 34/38 regular will be tapered at the ends. The anti sway will have a vertical cut at the end of springs. The end caps for 38K is 52QK418P4 and the 44K is 52QK418P5. Any good dealer should have all in stock.

Unless you plan to add a transverse torque rod, go with the 38,000lb anti-sway / 44,000 standard 4QK4003A. If you go with the 44,000 anti-sway 4QK4005, you absolutely need to add a transverse torque rod (There's a Mack service bulletin on how to do it). Having said that, adding a transverse torque rod during your upgrade to 4QK4003 springs would dramatically extend the life of your trunnion insulators. And again, make sure you go with Mack urethane trunnion insulators (10QK276) and lower spring pads (10QK388).

I like my 44 rears, I actually dont think I have ever had or driven a Mack with Camelback rears that wasnt 44k! Huh how bout that, oh and my 85 is rubber trunnion bushing not bronze, my 84,95,99,2000,2004 and 2006 were all 44k with bronze, I like Bronze better. Oh and Yes to the urethane bushings, they ride a little rougher but last twice as long.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Does your 85' have a transverse torque rod? Back in the 80's, Mack recalled the early rubber-bushed 44 rear trucks and installed transverse torque rods (1RY48P23). There was a pink Product Improvement Bulletin on that. If you're lacking it, you'd appreciate adding it.

SS440 (fabricated axle housing like 34s and 38s) came with rubber trunnion bushings. Bronze bushings were optional.

SS441 (cast axle housing) came with bronze bushing. Rubber trunnion bushings were optional, but only recommended for weight sensitive applications)

Yep all torque rods in place, and all I'm missing is a couple more pieces and ill have shocks mounted to keep the camelback hop away.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

yup like Mike said, be easier to find a complete 44 cutoff. the housings are alot beefier and the earlier ones has the flat gussetts welded horizontal across the axle housing. have actually seen a few 38's bent so bad in b models that you couldnt see thru the other side with the hogs head removed. the old timers use to straigten them to.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg