M939 5-Ton Military Trucks

Jason O

Hi Guys-

I've put my search for an old Mack on hold for now, so I figured I'd post a few photos of the trucks I currently own. I bought these at auction a few years ago for no reason other than they looked fun. Turns out they are! The trucks are great off road, easy to drive, and will travel 55 + on the highway safely.

Although they look similar to the classic M35A2 Deuce and a half, they are an entirely different vehicle.

The M939 trucks were produced from 1984-1992 in various configurations (cargo, road-tractor, wrecker, etc)

A few features:

Cummins power (NHC-250 on early trucks, 6CTA on the later A2's)

Allison 5 speed transmissions (MT 654 CR)

Full air brakes (wedge type)

ABS added on most trucks

CTIS (central tire inflation) on A2 trucks

Here are a few photos of the 2 I own. If anyone is interested, I'll add more.

Have a good day and stay safe on the road!

Semi tractor - 1991 M931 A2

Cargo truck - 1991 M923 A2

post-18835-0-14987300-1445878752_thumb.jpost-18835-0-33811000-1445878779_thumb.jpost-18835-0-35866500-1445878820_thumb.jpost-18835-0-24307800-1445879009_thumb.jpost-18835-0-24307800-1445879009_thumb.j

Cool!! Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Thanks for flipping the pics. Couldn't get them to upload correctly from the I phone.

No major repairs - yet... But I do have a transfer case to rebuild on one of them. I'm planning on streching the cab for room for a back seat at some point. A manual trans would be a nice improvement too, but I'm not sure if any twin-countershaft box would allow room for the front driveshaft to run beside it.

I'm open to suggestions on a new paint scheme too.

Just don't run those M939 trucks in low range/reverse or you'll be replacing a bunch of transfer cases.

I've had a couple of M939 tractors (M931 and M932) and a M936 wrecker that I took the wrecker bed off of and installed a lime spreader bed.

I currently have a M35A2C that I put a dump bed on to use around the farm.

what is it that kills the transfer case in low rev.? the m 925 that I use as a brush truck has that warning tag on the dash, but I haven't been able to picture in my mind what would damage the case.

The few that were being used here as stump jumpers 2 cracked the transfer cases in low range reverse. I guess that is the problem?

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

The reverse ratio on the Allison MT654 is 10.76 to 1. It's just too much for the transfer case when its in low, front drive engaged, and torque loaded.

1st gear is only 4.71 to 1

On top of this the MT654 is considered an obsolete transmission by allison.

I wonder how they would work with a MT643 in there?

I was thinking about using that trip washer/ air switch, adding a valve and relay to build an air curcuit that would disengage the front axle when the truck is shifted into reverse while in low range. I know better, but my trucks may be used by someone unfamiliar with them on the trail.

Last time out, my Allison skipped a beat and slipped just a little between 2-3 upshifts. Maybe its time for a Fuller transmission.

• 4 weeks later...

Who is the expert on the forum for the MT654cr transmission? We just got an M939 in the shop from a volunteer fire dept. with a transmission leak. It is leaking in the rear between the main case and the spacer(?) that connects the rear plate to the transmission. We are wondering if we can repair it without pulling the transmission? We don't have a parts diagram or service manual for the transmission. This will be a first for us and the students. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dan

You may want to check that the transmission case is properly vented if fluid is leaking. Some trucks are equipped with a water fording kit that pressurizes the trans and gear cases with a pound or so of air. If it remains switched on, you will likely have fluid leaks.

Make sure the trans isn't way over filled (had one come out of service this way)

I know little about these transmissions, good luck on the repair.

post-18835-0-93415000-1448968579_thumb.j