Central PA Macks

Hey Farmer, thought this might interest you. I found this MH612 while looking for U models. I thought you said your MH was a 612 and this truck is a single axle and the same color, thought maybe they came from the same fleet or something? It says Sanners Towing on the little door, I can't see the town but I can see PA.

• Like 1

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

Hey Farmer, thought this might interest you. I found this MH612 while looking for U models. I thought you said your MH was a 612 and this truck is a single axle and the same color, thought maybe they came from the same fleet or something? It says Sanners Towing on the little door, I can't see the town but I can see PA.

Yes, it is definitely from Martin's Pastry...same fleet as mine. Sanner's Towing; Downingtown, PA (googled).

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I've always liked the looks of Martin's Macks and IHs over the years. They lost some of their uniqueness when they stopped using spokes, but it's still a good looking fleet.

Saw this Superdog today sitting along Route 22 near Mount Union. The sign in the window is advertising the wood for sale.

At one time there were a bunch of Mack cabovers in a lot on Rte 22 and I believe it was in or near Mount Union. Do you know if they're are still there?

Jim

At one time there were a bunch of Mack cabovers in a lot on Rte 22 and I believe it was in or near Mount Union. Do you know if they're are still there?

Do you have more specifics on the location? I will put it on my list of "places to visit" (when I get motivated) :whistling:

Ken

Do you have more specifics on the location? I will put it on my list of "places to visit" (when I get motivated) :whistling:

They are just east of Huntingdon, PA.

If you are in that area, you should visit The Swigart Museum

The trucks are right along RT22 - about 1/8 to 1/4 mile west of the museum.

Red circled area is where the trucks are located.

Yellow circled area is the property HQ.

post-3098-0-98610800-1358095541_thumb.pn

Terry

Julian, PA

I have been there with camera, but it was at least 10 or 11 years ago. A bunch of rotted F models and a KW or two - most of them with PRISM trucking on the doors. I thought they were scrapped, but heard not long ago that they're still there. (no guarantee)

Those pics look familiar, your original post is probably where I first heard of them. Was there some issue with the owner not wanting to sell or part them but also not wanting to do anything to preserve them?

At least 3 of the F's are from Prism Trucking in Dover,DE. I wonder if the owner had them leased on there.

Jim

I started a Mack Cabover Yahoo group in April of 2003 and those pictures have been there for almost that long.

I think a few others have discussed those trucks, but it has been a while.

A friend of mine knows the owner, but those trucks were swiss cheese back when I took those pictures - and I know F models just don't up & stop rotting away on their own. :lol:

Terry

Julian, PA

They are just east of Huntingdon, PA.

If you are in that area, you should visit The Swigart Museum

The trucks are right along RT22 - about 1/8 to 1/4 mile west of the museum.

Red circled area is where the trucks are located.

Yellow circled area is the property HQ.

attachicon.gifmap.png

Dang! I drove by there on Thursday just after I took the pic of the Superdog. I saw the Swigart museum (closed for the season). I must have been daydreaming of wimmin hitchhikers when I went by the trucks and I did not have my "Mack detector" turned on! :blush: Maybe they rusted away to nothing?

Ken

The green F parked under the van trailer is about all you'll see unless you're really looking. The others are either facing away from the road or in some pretty thick brush.

A call to my friend confirmed they are all still there as of earlier this month. The Macks that were over around the garage are apparently gone. I vaguely remember two F models - possibly black with stripes - being parked sideways in front of the garage. They were also rough/rusty with singled-out drive tires, etc.

If you use the street view on Google maps you can see the green F model, but that might be from a year or two ago.

Terry

Julian, PA

I always liked the color scheme/graphics on Martins' trucks very sharp (that tater' breads' damn good too!)......................................Mark

post-5836-0-84617600-1358112801_thumb.jp

post-5836-0-44065900-1358112819_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I took a picture of the light blue mh in Downingtown on 322 when it was for sale about 2years ago. I had already bought my 1985 mh so was not interested, but looked nice. I have pictures of those F models posted in my gallery. They were still there last summer. There is a 1930's Indiana dump truck rotting away next to a building just down the road too. I first saw that in 1990. All those trucks are much worse for wear. The Indiana has a wood framed cab so it is especially bad. He would sell it for 800 or so to keep it out of the scrap pile. It was his fathers.

Mike

Nice Superliner!!! I was walking down the street to wait for the bus and I hear a jake break. I'm like, eh it's a plow, I had my phone WITH A CAMERA IN IT and what truck goes by? An old DM dump truck!!! You don't wanna know what I said.

Oh,..........CRAP!!! LOL!!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Nice Superliner!!! I was walking down the street to wait for the bus and I hear a jake break. I'm like, eh it's a plow, I had my phone WITH A CAMERA IN IT and what truck goes by? An old DM dump truck!!! You don't wanna know what I said.

If you had your phone WITH A CAMERA IN IT....where is the pic??? :idunno:

Ken