Two Stick Question

I was wondering why some Macks have the Main closer to the driver and why do some have it on the outside?

The stick that is shifted the most is placed closest to the driver in the USA I'm told. The triplex, and quadraplex transmissions were shifted in the auxillary much more often, (splitting gears in the main) than the main was shifted. In the duplex transmission, each main shift was split by one auxillary shift, so it really didn't matter how the shifter was placed, but was a matter of convienience to the driver.

This is as I was told many years ago, but I have no hard evidence to prove anything.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Having owned and driven both, the Duplex lever is on the right hand side (your passenger side) of the main gearbox lever, whilst the quadbox lever is placed on the left hand side (your drivers side) of the main gearbox lever.

Why, I do not know. - Rod.

Proud owner of;

1961 Mack B61 prime mover.

1981 International ACCO 1810C DualCab Fire Truck

My '63 B42 came from the factory as a gas powered Mack with a 10speed duplex (5 speed & 2 speed). It was repowered at some point with a Cummins C160 diesel with a guadraplex transmission but the 5 speed lever is still on the left (driver's side) and the 4 speed lever is on the right (pass side). Both sticks are the same length and have the same single bend in them.

I have seen this labeled as a 18 speed quadraplex rather than a 20 speed and have seen a shift pattern plate in a cab of a '56 Mack on ebay like this with 5 + 4 rather than 4 + 5 for the shift lever orientation.

So am I correct to say that I have a 18 speed quadraplex? I can only guess that the engine and transmission came out of another Mack mixer truck owned by the same company.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

David

Depends on which side of the pond you're on as to which side what stick is on. Not sure the reason behind which stick being where. Duplex compound it's on far side(passenger seat), where Tri and Quad it's near driver(this being American trucks)

The difference in the quad boxes has alot to due if it's a double overdrive or not. This cuts the gear ratios back a few as you don't split 5th(since it's OD).

Get the model number off the drivers side of tranny and that will determine what the ratios are. TRQ-72 or TRQ720(double over), plus plenty other variations.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

My '63 B42 came from the factory as a gas powered Mack with a 10speed duplex (5 speed & 2 speed). It was repowered at some point with a Cummins C160 diesel with a guadraplex transmission but the 5 speed lever is still on the left (driver's side) and the 4 speed lever is on the right (pass side). Both sticks are the same length and have the same single bend in them.

I have seen this labeled as a 18 speed quadraplex rather than a 20 speed and have seen a shift pattern plate in a cab of a '56 Mack on ebay like this with 5 + 4 rather than 4 + 5 for the shift lever orientation.

So am I correct to say that I have a 18 speed quadraplex? I can only guess that the engine and transmission came out of another Mack mixer truck owned by the same company.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

That's the "baby quad box"

TRQ77 or 770.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Thank you. I assume that it can't take as must torque as the larger quad boxes. I am sure it is adequate for the Cummings CF-160.

They were used behind the gas engines and the END 465, END 475 and ENDT475 diesels.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

They were used behind the gas engines and the END 465, END 475 and ENDT475 diesels.
Your right cause when i started to work on mack trucks there was a fleet of mixers here that was B models and they had that trans with the end475 and end 465. I have lose track which one was the Scaniny. The other one was used by the military.I will ever forget that bunch of trucks and on top of that they had stopmaster or wedge brakes. Wedge brakes and cemet mixers just dont work out to a good stop.

glenn akers