Air Impact Tool

Mike

Hi Mike,

I use a impact several times a day and by far the best one I have ever had is the IR brand titanium series. They are quite expensive but I believe to be the best. It is very light weight, impact resitant, and tons of torque.. I can get the model number for you if you like.

Fred

15 gears...no waiting!

An IR Titanium is hard to beat period. The key to performance and longevity is a good air supply. None will work well or last long without a good volume of clean dry air. If the IR seems to be too pricey, check out what Air Cat has to offer. I have one of their 3/4 drive models that I use for tire service. I chose it, because at 1340 ft.lb's I could use it for tires and brakes and other maintenance as well.

First of all thanks for the replys. I have a Quincy with 22.3 @ 175 lbs. plenty of air. I've been looking at the IR 1800 torque rated at 12 cfm and 4,000 rpm, twin hammer with variable speed. I do not know if it's a Titanium. That i'll dig deeper into.

Thanks

mike

Am needing a new impact. Anyone have any suggestions as to what CFM, RPM, ETC.

Thank You

mike

snap on has the most powerful for now it is awsome it is loud and a bigger body than the ir it will take bolts loose the ir wont but we use them both every day

Snapon is a good wrench but it cost more to. I have found thru the years that snapon will stand up the longest and you can turn them in for trade or for repairs.There is many good impac wrenches out there. I have worn out many and started in 65 full time and at that time there was none around here in Tulsa and the next year CP was around but they cost about 60 dollars and no one had 60 dollars. The first one i got it took two of us to be able to pay for it and we would share it. Yes times have changes some.And you stillo hear guys talk about the good old days.The first CP i had was rated at about 100 lbs and now a good snapon will break any head bolt lose on any engine unless it is thread locked like a cummins will do sometimes.We use 185 psi at feightliner and my shop has about 165psi and it is hard on a wrench but if you using one for a living then you need alot of air.

glenn akers

I still have the first IR 1/2" I bought 20+ yrs ago. Granted it's not used daily, but does the job with the 120# of air I have. A friend gave me a 3/8" model that really kicks butt. Take it off or break it off. Handy for all work being smaller and lighter then regular 1/2"

Been wanting to upgrade my compressor to a two stage with 175# of pressure. Someday.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I still have the first IR 1/2" I bought 20+ yrs ago. Granted it's not used daily, but does the job with the 120# of air I have. A friend gave me a 3/8" model that really kicks butt. Take it off or break it off. Handy for all work being smaller and lighter then regular 1/2"

Been wanting to upgrade my compressor to a two stage with 175# of pressure. Someday.

I have a 3/4 snapon the best they make about 5 years ago and the best IR makes and the IR does not eat up the volummin of air the snapon does but is not quit as much torque and the onlt time you will know this is when torquing 3406 mains. The IR will torque up by hammering but snapon will do it be fore you have to hit the brakes. IR has a better one now but i dont need any of them any more.I have old 1"snapon short shaft for trans and rear end work and it is about 25 years old and it still will tighten yoke nuts that need to be 800 ft lb.I have two 1/4" air rachets that are neat but they will not last very long before they need sent in.I dont need them very often and got them mostly because i did have one.

glenn akers

I've had all manufactures in the shop through the years. The best as far as durability has been IR by far as rebuild kits, and parts are easy to obtain.

I have a CP 1" tire wrench, a 3/4" "Blue Point", (Snap On), a couple of IR 1/2" wrenches, and a 1/4" IR dual speed air ratchet. Only really buy what I will use consistently. There are many people around here I borrow the occasional "odd tool" to get a job done from.

The Snap On man around here was a asshole so I don't let him in the shop any longer. I had the employees deal with him in the parking lot. Nothing wrong with most of their air tools. Never had any real problems.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Depending on what size you are looking for, some of the Craftsman air tools are made by IR and if you catch a sale they are very reasonable. I have an impact that is an IR 2131 1/2in drive but it has Craftsman decal on it and was $20 less than the IR, and I got it on a sale so it was a lot less. Just something to ponder. 450ft/lbs forward and 600ft/lbs in reverse. The real key to longevity with air tools is oil them on a regular basis.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

Greg,

I believe in the oil treatment also. Thanks to all for the advise. Since I'm not on a clock, i'll probably go with an AirCat that James talked about, but will surely look at the Craftsman from Sears an RoseButt.

mike

I use Marvel air tool oil, have for years.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I use Marvel air tool oil, have for years.

Rob

Thats what i used maybe for 30 years but i got to using the snapon oil and i asked a snapon rep one day what it is and he said light motor oil so since then what goes in the engines goes in my impac. Cant see any difference in the way they work and dont smell as bad as the marvel or as good which ever. I oil one maybe 5 times a day when using it alot. Air drill motors should get oil ever time you pull the trigger.

glenn akers

Glenn,

Any lite weight oil is better than none. I've even used ATF. ATF is always around and not that expensive since not much has to be used. I've used the Mystery oil also but normally save it for loosening internal parts. Back in the 60's my dad would use oil to squirt in an engine while it was running. Or use BarDall for upper valve lubricant.

Those Were The Days!

mike