We've been getting cement from Lafarge in Whitehall the past few years. Used Keystone for 25+ years, but they were too greedy on their pricing and let Lafarge undercut them and wouldn't beat or even match them, despite our loyalty and good pay. Salesmen have been by trying to get our business back but their sales manager won't let the salesmen beat Lafarge's price/ton by even $1. 

• Like 1

That’s ridiculous. I was just sitting here thinking rather than sledgehammer. Why don’t you weld pull tabs on the dents yank them out with another vehicle and a chain or setup a port a power that’s what I would try. Good luck.

• Like 1

These cones the blow pipe runs off-center, so the cement has to slide out the side of the bottom. Fluffer pad/accesss doors are sharing the bottom of the cones.  I'm contemplating welding new cones on the bottom and routing the valves and blow pipe directly out the bottom.  They make these aerator fluffer/vibrators that bolt to the side of the cones. Just hard to justify the time and labor on something that is run just a couple of times a month.

• Like 1

Amen Hippy..  there was several times the top blew out in the baghouse..  I didnt have to clean up or repair those issues, but it sure did suck when the cement dust or fly ash floated into my shop, that was less than 50' from the silo's ..  what a damn mess..  at one point the company had to pay for paint repair on a close by bussiness, because the dust was so bad..  BTW,,, It wasn't my wife that blew the top off that time :) 

On 5/26/2024 at 12:28 PM, JoeH said:

Our trailer is a mid 1970's, I forget what year.  It has some dents in the cones from hammer abuse from its previous owners.  Fastest I've managed to unload it is about an hour, usually it takes an hour and 15 min to get it empty.  I may go in there with my 6# sledge and ear plugs and try beating the dents out of the cones one of these days. Newer trailers are streamlined with much better piping, but this one was in the budget and it's steel, so we can weld patches in it as needed.

make sure you have a real good set of ear plugs . the echo chamber is challenging. had a customer running stainless milk tanks . been inside number of times= dents or crack repair. used a small 115 v wire feed with stainless wire and carry on bottle of gas. never had much luck with the flux coated wire. 

17 minutes ago, Brocky said:

If you think cement is a mess think about baking flour!!! Been there, Done that!!

to bad it's so late at night = bet there's an interesting story with the flour !   one thing in common with the cement/ flour  both need a little water. depends on whether you are putting down a floor or baking some bread.  couldn't help myself😁, has been a long day and very early start tues. going some place (NY/MA ??) to assist with pick up of plow equipment.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

make sure you have a real good set of ear plugs . the echo chamber is challenging. had a customer running stainless milk tanks . been inside number of times= dents or crack repair. used a small 115 v wire feed with stainless wire and carry on bottle of gas. never had much luck with the flux coated wire. 

I may double up on the foam plugs with the muffs, lol. I don't relish the idea of banging away inside an echo chamber.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

to bad it's so late at night = bet there's an interesting story with the flour !   one thing in common with the cement/ flour  both need a little water. depends on whether you are putting down a floor or baking some bread.  couldn't help myself😁, has been a long day and very early start tues. going some place (NY/MA ??) to assist with pick up of plow equipment.

Same here 330 wake up every Monday or Tuesday after a holiday… bob

• Like 1