Clutch pushing hard

We picked up a 99 ch with a rebuilt mack 13spd, it has a new Eaton clutch in it, new cable, arm and forks. The clutch works great,  the trans brake is in adjustment as well as the clutch itself.  The problem is it pushes harder than any other truck I have ever driven.  Anyone have any ideas?

I'd look at the cable. It should make a nice curved ark and not be shoved out of the way or anything like that. Maybe even disconnect it from the release lever on the clutch housing and see how it feels unhooked. It's not impossible it needs to be replaced .

• Like 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, dogg rescue said:

I failed to mention, the cable is brand new. 

So if the cable is new did you replace it? Or was this done prior to you Owning it! If this truck was born with an air assist and it was removed before u owned it look for any random Capped off air line tucked up in the frame on that side! The levers on the trans and pedals have different  geometry  Shorter arm on the trans! Also the Clutch itself May be A non Easy Pedal Clutch ! Or is incorectly set!

https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/catalog/clutches-and-brakes/easy-pedal-advantage-clutch.html#:~:text=The Eaton Easy Pedal Advantage,Contact Eaton

Above is the usual clutch used in the application with out an assist! Try stay away from a solo auto adjust if you got to replace! They tend to fill with clutch dust and cease to adjust them selves properly! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, fjh said:

Mark nails this one ! In my opinion ! Replace the cable ! But there is a slim chance it has an air assist in which case you may have a bad slave!

BUT also === a bad slave cyl WOULD NOT make the clutch hard to push; would be a slower reacting clutch operation. air assist would have a treadle style pedal NOT a manual operated clutch pedal.  PLEASE NOTE these responses are based on very old school methods. thank you. 

Sorry Mech,,  his truck doesnt have those parts..  It has a heavy duty cable from the pedal arm to the release fork, and if it is air assisted, the cyl. is at the fork on the transmission..  similar to a steer assist, just 8'' long. 

On R models in Australia there are two ways to mount the clutch cable

One angle is for a Mack transmission and the other is for a RoadRanger

I wonder if later models have the same deal going on

Apparently this makes a huge difference on the effort required 

Paul 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

either the cable had a sharp bend / kink ; as a result of way too long; the length shouldn't be a major factor since both ends of outer cables which have long enough thread to adjust clevis to clutch pedal / transmission arm  are secured to mounting brackets.