1979 Mack drive axle wheel studs

I admit I haven't done any "Googling" on this yet.  It is a pain in the butt on a cell phone, so I thought I would ask the amazing people (who have helped me multiple times over the past 8 months) on this site for a recommendation on a source for these.  The dealer says the left hand thread is no longer available, just the right hand thread. Anybody have a referral to a supplier that might have aftermarket studs?

TIA

Rob

Must be budd type wheels as spiders don't have a left or right thread

Most truck parts places in Australia would be able to get what you need and even most bolt supply places out here would as well

Pull a stud out and take it with you as a sample

If you go somewhere and the bloke behind the counter asks for a vin number, your in the wrong place 

Good luck

Paul 

• Like 1

Thats what I was thinking,,, Paul..  Heck, I just take an old stud to a local shop and they have a chart with all the dimensions. I just find what I need and buy them..  Not sure what the issue is that he is having. 

Good offer of those studs was at Bigrigchromeshop. They have on-line catalog with basic descriptions and dimentions. But seems you need one of the existing studs removed since they differ not only in OD but also length, threaded length and the splines they bite into the hub.

I guess those studs are made by Dormann. But searching that way you need the particular Dormann part# which you don't know. 

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Are your studs stamped with an L? Pretty sure my truck with Budds is right hand thread all around. I'd have to check on the steering axle. My 1979 has left hand thread on one side on the steer, with stud pilot rims. Rears were converted to spoke hubs in the 80's when we bought the truck. They're all right hand thread.

having left/ right hand thread would be older style budd wheels having inner and outer nuts. square socket for inner "nut" ; 1 1/4 ?socket for outer nut. progress to uni-mount nuts all were right hand thread. seems majority of post now point to same thing ;;;if we only had that magic crystal ball back then !! what was thought to be common items then are obsolete now in such a short time. 

• Like 1

bringing a wheel stud for sample may not be all that easy either. Not knowing why a stud or all studs need changing comes in to question. one broken one and looking for sample will require tires/ drum/ shoes  removal .  memory serves correctly (that's asking  alot ) this unit has steel budds . studs would be shorter. nut on back or BFH  to remove/ install

• Like 2

The length of the studs is definitely predicted by use of steel Budd's or alu Alcoa's but may also vary at the rear portion depending on were they fit into cast iron or aluminium hub.

I'm also in need (with no rush) of a few those studs. But see no way ordering them unless removing at least one original piece for identification.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

On 2/9/2024 at 4:09 PM, Joey Mack said:

do you have budd wheels? 

yes I do. The studs have nuts on the back side of the drive hub (are not the press thru type) that don't require the removal of the drum etc to replace

Edited by RS Disposal

The studs bolt in, and the drums are not inboard drums? I guess I'm trying to picture them. I'm sure I've handled these before, seems I took the drum and hub off as an assembly.  If you had a picture of one, I could go to my parts house and see what he stocks. 

41 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

The studs bolt in, and the drums are not inboard drums? I guess I'm trying to picture them. I'm sure I've handled these before, seems I took the drum and hub off as an assembly.  If you had a picture of one, I could go to my parts house and see what he stocks. 

Double flanged hub? Or the stud has a flange on it ? I have seen both setups! You will likely have to remove the hub to get the drum off to remove the studs !

• Like 1

bolt on wheel studs have 3/4 right hand thread on INSIDE , with dam good eyes you can on occasion sneak in between drum/ shoes to access  the 15/16 or  1 1/8 ? nut holding double sided threaded wheel stud. if left hand press in wheel studs are no longer available ;; then go to jelly roll song and Hail Mary ; I need a Prayer. instead of trying to cut corners; pull the drum better access to nuts holding wheel studs. be really helpful to know why == 1 stud or all need replace?? only one stud broke/ need repair then say f== k it and put shorter inner nut on outer rim and tighten with outer nut. for safety it's not an issue. for law enforcement every thing looks Kosher. Jewish wife .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/12/2024 at 2:56 PM, mechohaulic said:

bolt on wheel studs have 3/4 right hand thread on INSIDE , with dam good eyes you can on occasion sneak in between drum/ shoes to access  the 15/16 or  1 1/8 ? nut holding double sided threaded wheel stud. if left hand press in wheel studs are no longer available ;; then go to jelly roll song and Hail Mary ; I need a Prayer. instead of trying to cut corners; pull the drum better access to nuts holding wheel studs. be really helpful to know why == 1 stud or all need replace?? only one stud broke/ need repair then say f== k it and put shorter inner nut on outer rim and tighten with outer nut. for safety it's not an issue. for law enforcement every thing looks Kosher. Jewish wife .

The 3/4 nut is easily accessible without pulling the drum.  Once wheels are off the nut is just behind the flange on the drive hub.  Only one needs replaced.  not sure why Mack says the right hand is available but not the left hand.  They also state that the 3/4 nut is no longer available, but that I am sure I can get at my local nut and bolt supplier

• Like 1