79 r model volt meter

If it was built like later models, there should be an accessory relay under the ash tray behind the center dash panel.  That is what sends out all elec. power with the key ON. Key OFF, all power is cut off.. ( Headlights and Brake lights will work though).  Has any electrical work been done recently by someone else?  other than headlights and brake lights, does anything else turn on? A shorted wire to power, can cause this too.. 

Joey,no there has not had any electrical work.I will check the switch you are talking about tomorrow.With the key off should there be any power coming out of the switch?My electric guy tells me that the alternator has a slight draw on it.He is going to replace it on Monday.Any other throughts?

the large wire on the alt, is likely coming from the starter post, which is directly connected to the batteries, therefore, that wire will have power on it. Gauges should not have power until the key is on, and then you will see the volt meter jump to 12.6 volts.. Is this a repair that you feel comfy trying to do?  Maybe you could remove the wires from the alt. gauge and see which one has power on it, and then follow it to the next connection. and so-on till you find the source of the power.? There are several ways to do this, but I would have to see the truck and behind the dash..  if you un hook the wires from the alternator, does the gauge drop to zero? 

Your welcome..  There are many ways this issue can occur..  I expect some more good suggestions will come along..   

When you turn the key on, do you hear a loud click inside the dash? 

1 hour ago, hicrop10 said:

My electric guy tells me that the alternator has a slight draw on it.

My 2 cents worth. is; You've got a leak (short) somewhere.....!

• Like 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Drove an Ottawa yard horse/dog/donkey/spotter/etc. that had a bad cab to frame ground. Back under a trailer and the air ride cab would bounce. The computer (for trailer moves, door numbers, yard positions) would go off just long enough so it had to be restarted. As blackdog2 said, used a jumper cable from the cab to frame and no more problems. Had the mechanic add a ground strap on at the next PM service.    .....Hippy   

• Like 1

I really dont know why you have power to anything but the C.B. Headlights and brake light switch... I also do not remember how that truck is wired, due to not working on that era in Many years..  I guess I would check to see what else is 'live' with the key off, and decide if you want to connect then to the acc. relay on the output side..    I did see where a couple guys said that it is normal to see the gauge reading voltage with the key off...   sorry that I dont have a 90+ % answer for you..  Jojo

keep in mind,, the big wire on the alt. is always 'Hot'   hopefully you are not throwing money away...  I do understand that you need to be up and running..  good luck my friend..  Jojo

Don't know about the 79.  But, on my 70, the volt, temp, and fuel gauges were dead until the key was turned on.  The schematic shows power coming off the key switch, to the low air pressure switch, and then daisy-chained to the fuel, volt, and temp gauges.  Does not show a relay in that particular circuit (low amperage draw).

But, that is nearly a decade older than yours.

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."