shifting issue

I`ve gotten better at shifting my B61`s triplex,with one exception.When I need to turn a corner in town,I`ve slowed to walking speed,clutch depressed,main box in neutral.From there I can`t get it back into any gear,2`nd or 3`rd,clutch or no clutch,revs rising or falling,no luck,have to come to a complete stop.On the highway,no problem shifting up or down,no clutch.What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

it will take time to "learn" the ole girl. if you are at walking speed coming to the corner with down shifting , possibly the main is low enough just shift up or down on the aux stick. I drove (part-time) a DM 800 with quad. there was one road having a short / steep hill which I couldn't get the right combo of gears for the longest time. fast as I  could road up to it ;loaded quite heavy main lower/aux different spot = it took a long time.

Even after 22 yrs,  I  never pull both sticks in neutral until I'm stopped.  I try to get in the gear I need before going around a corner, but if not, leave the compound in a gear, and get the main out and ready to pull back into a lower gear.   You're "suppose" to have it in a gear going around the corner( don't coast more then a truck length I think is the rule), but we all know that doesn't always happen in the real world.  If you downshift the compound down to underdrive by the time you get to the corner, the main will be easy to shift down as  you will be in a low rpm and plenty of room to get it up 1000 rpm to get in a lower gear.  You will find you can't "rush" driving these transmissions.  It is not like a car where you can just put it in any gear at any time.  You do have to look ahead and make a shifting plan.

Even when I'm stopping for a light, I will goose the throttle to get the main in neutral but I'll leave the compound in gear until I'm stopped.  That way I can blip the throttle to get the main back in to move again if the light changes suddenly.  I rarely use the clutch unless starting out.  I work the throttle to unload the transmission to shift up/down.  Every gear has a road speed and you have to remember what each one is.  That will make it easier to put it in the correct gear at the right time.  It took me the WHOLE first summer just to get good enough to drive around town without grinding it to pieces.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Yes, your what I think is called "neutralizing" in a more modern transmission

Think about it like this

If both sticks are in neutral the in between the two sections stops spinning 

So of course to get any gear to line up you need to make one half of the transmission come to a complete stop

Thats what happens when you stop

So always keep one of the sticks in gear

When shifting it is only in neutral on both sections for a split second, not like when you roll around a corner at walk pace

Put a transmission brake in the mix and it becomes a real mess very quickly

Paul 

• Like 2

To quote my Dad, "Stay ahead of the truck."  In other words, have it in the right gear for the next situation BEFORE you get there.  And, like everybody said, don't leave both sticks in neutral.

You'll get the hang of it.

And remember, there is no law that says you have to split every gear every time!  I rarely had to use them all.  Only when I was really heavy did I need to split every gear.  To be honest, you sometimes did it just to show off around the shop!  Really looked impressive when you missed one!  LOL!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."