Isuzu Drops Diesel N Series In CARB States

RoadwayR

I have a 2002 NPR with a 4HE1..  16' insulated MIckey Body box with small barn doors.. 312,000 miles..   runs great, the whole truck functions great, and the A/C works too...  :)   I bought it for $8,000.00  11/15/2016..  You reckon I have a diamond in the rough...  :) 

KIMG0747.JPG

I've got an 02 NPRHd too but 5.7 gas and 4l80e trans. Just had the trans rebuilt a couple of weeks ago at 250000 miles. Threw a used 50k mile engine in at 225k.I didn't want the deisel as a 5.7  small block is a whole lot cheaper to replace. I paid 2000 for the truck 6 years ago, 1000 for the ambulance body and 1800 for the bucket. This thing doesn't owe me anything.

20220429_151100.jpg

20220429_155847.jpg

20230324_140438.jpg

• Like 1

This got me thinking, why don't more people buy these? A brand new Isuzu F series comes with a 6.7 Cummins and an Allison transmission so you could make a heavy duty work truck without having to buy a dodge! You might even be able to snag one with a manual transmission. 

Sign me up! I'd put a bale bed and a caker on the back and have quite the cow rig 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BOBWhite said:

This got me thinking, why don't more people buy these? A brand new Isuzu F series comes with a 6.7 Cummins and an Allison transmission so you could make a heavy duty work truck without having to buy a dodge! You might even be able to snag one with a manual transmission. 

Sign me up! I'd put a bale bed and a caker on the back and have quite the cow rig 

I think two reasons, One is they had a rep for parts prices being high, I never was on that end of things, so just repaired, and never saw the price of the parts. The real big reason I saw, was they "weren't cool, like a duelly pick-up chassie"  Or "I wouldn't be seen dead in that termite head truck". Never mind the fact the cab had more room, they turned tighter, and had things like a engine brake from the factory. I looked to find a reasonable priced used one, but they were all more than I wanted to pay, Still, they were cheaper than other used trucks in their class.

The lighter end of trucks never did all that well for sales as cabovers, The Ford C series is about the best known, but GM (or course the Mack N) and IHC cargostar were all low sales when compared to conventionals. Just think how many more Loadstar conventionals are still seen vs, the cabover version of the same (Cargostar).

I think these were bought new by large companies, not O/O or small fleet, where the "looks" counted more to the buyer than the practicality.

On 9/18/2023 at 8:06 PM, 66dc75 said:

I've got an 02 NPRHd too but 5.7 gas and 4l80e trans. Just had the trans rebuilt a couple of weeks ago at 250000 miles. Threw a used 50k mile engine in at 225k.I didn't want the deisel as a 5.7  small block is a whole lot cheaper to replace. I paid 2000 for the truck 6 years ago, 1000 for the ambulance body and 1800 for the bucket. This thing doesn't owe me anything.

20220429_151100.jpg

20220429_155847.jpg

20230324_140438.jpg

Nice Rich..when did nyou get binder with aluminum wheels