E9 450 oil burner ?

Supermutt

I have limited knowledge on them but in recent years worked on 3 of them. It takes a bit of effort to find the parts and then to find someone that can fix it or machine the parts that need machining..  at least where I'm at.  Not saying it cant be done, just giving you a heads up on what to look for...  There are quite a few guys here that have better knowledge than I do.  hopefully they can shed a good light on this one..  Jojo

• Like 1

Possibly Joey, just looking around. It seems that the e9’s are not coming down that much in price. I hear these stories of guys picking them up for 7,8 10 or 15k. But, from what I see looking under every rock lol I have not seen anything under 25k. 
  As far as too much idling that could definitely be a contender. It’s a log truck with a loader on it.  

• Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 6:59 AM, Supermutt said:

Possibly Joey, just looking around. It seems that the e9’s are not coming down that much in price. I hear these stories of guys picking them up for 7,8 10 or 15k. But, from what I see looking under every rock lol I have not seen anything under 25k. 
  As far as too much idling that could definitely be a contender. It’s a log truck with a loader on it.  

That there is likely the key to the issue ! V8s do not like to idle they like to work! also check the air cleaner if its plugged  can case the turbo seals to leak !logging can be a dusty business !

• Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 2:28 AM, mrsmackpaul said:

Is that the power steering reservoir above the rocker cover

Are we sure it isn't leaking oil out of that and it's run all over the rocker cover and exhaust manifold, then onto the chassis rail, just following the trail of evidence from the top of the mess downwards

It should be the Powers steering reservoir that is making all the mess. They leak even on a good day and all the time. The manifolds are rusted so there is no oil just running on them not when this E9 is running. There would be no oil remaining like that after a good days run. Good thing is the manifold seal is more than likely good with that nightly oil covering it.

Can't tell what you got until it is running anyway but can speculate here. The big issue with these is breather blow-by and valve guides not oil leaks.

If you are looking for a complete E9 I got a whole MH with less that 100K miles and sitting for 20 years. Sell it for less than you are talking for just an engine.

if you have serious interest in this unit , is there the possibility of you having access to a pressure/steam cleaner to give it a major good bath to hopefully eliminate some of the questionable leak source ? and narrow down exact leak. long idle time isn't good for any diesel. even with a loader unit running should be above idle . 

• Like 1