LT serial number.

Is there a serial number on the frame of an LTL or possible LTSW?  Looked for a tag and could not find it. The truck did not have a handle on the driver side door and it was kind of snaky. Anyway, this is what you get into looking for B model parts--Sigh!

Yup, as said above! :)

You truck should have chassis number stamped onto the LH frame rail nearly above the front axle beam. May be closer to the upper edge of the rail but may vary. At least the most L-models have that that way. Should be something like LT1D-1001 or LTSW-1002. 

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Don' know how to post pictures-Sorry! PM phone # and can Msg them. ( something bout old dog and new tricks.) The 80 something YO owner said truck is a LJ -Sure looks like a LTL. Anyway, she's pretty much a glider kit w/ nice fenders, hood and cab+ single frame. Going back next week to make the deal. Thanks! Knew there was a # somewhere.

• Like 1

The LT's I've seen have had the serial number stamped in the RH (passenger side in the USA) frame rail either above the front axle or near the rear spring hanger for the rear suspension. I've seen them both places. Also seem trucks that didn't have one at all. 

Found S/N on RH frame.  S/N: LTLT1D1178 last digit was either a U or a D. Pretty sure it's a D.  Thought was O but not stamped as heavy on top and bottom corners are rounded different.. Will have to brush or sandpaper it.

• Like 1

1D may mean (or means?) one drive axle. Having no D in the end I guess it's (originaly was) a gasser. Diesel VINs had D in the end. 178th unit built of the particular model (LTLT-? or maybe just LT1D-?). Mack started a serie from 1001. 

BTW single axle LT seems as a rare beast.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/16/2023 at 10:11 AM, fjdrill said:

Found S/N on RH frame.  S/N: LTLT1D1178 last digit was either a U or a D. Pretty sure it's a D.  Thought was O but not stamped as heavy on top and bottom corners are rounded different.. Will have to brush or sandpaper it.

Last digit is a D, all the diesel powered LT's were noted that way. It's one of the very last LTLT's built. Only 12 more with higher serial numbers. Looks like it was delivered on 1-6-56, sold out of the Los Angeles, CA branch by Valley Parts and Equipment( a Mack dealer then). It appears to have been sold to Valley Transport Co. I have a copy of the Chassis register from the museum which is where this info came from. It's all hand printed so some of it is hard to read.

Congratulations!

• Like 2

Thanks. Mackaholic. Going back in 2 weeks to pick up the truck. Waiting on nephew to finish cutting/hauling hay.  The owner is an older fellow and I'll need someone else to help load. I'm excited. Now need to find some rears for it. Going to southern IN & IL next week. Looking for & picking up parts (Mainly tires and sliding rear window) for the B833SX. Again, thanks for the Info!!

West of Evansville and down below Carmi. Might run up to Olney and see some people I haven't seen in a while. M & L well service (Olney) is having an Auction in Oct might look at the yards while I'm there, IDN yet. Where are You?

West of Evansville and down below Carmi. Might run up to Olney and see some people I haven't seen in a while. M & L well service (Olney) is having an Auction in Oct might look at the yards while I'm there, IDN yet. Where are You?

Yep, that's the truck. I drove it loading pumps and tubs on that yard after the sale. Brought it back, water pump went out replaced with rebuilt and never added coolant. Just sat until May of this year. Pushed 10-15' fired right off. He had another truck that was NW of Grayville Sitting on a well pad. Think it was an LJ. No hood and was pretty Rough. Did you see the twin steer that was in an earlier sale on same yard? Think it was a L-something. Had the exhaust thru hood. Cab set on treadplate deck. Think that was the Coolest winch truck I ever saw just needed another winch. Oh, and that was the coldest I have ever been loading out.

Yes the one outside of town was a L series of some kind I think it was a LJ but not sure it was an old RL Jefferies truck it went somewhere down around Owensboro Ky I think the old twin steer was called double ugly it belonged to Garden Drilling out of Salem Illinois for a long time but it belonged to someone else when it sold at the auction in Grayville when are you going to be up here 

Depends on when I get thru at Johnsons. I could spend half a day looking there. Planning on next stop in Olney. Thinking I'm spending the night somewhere. PM me your phone number. we'll see if we can meet up.