Super 10

Is a mack super 10 and a super 10 the same? If not what's difference..

Getting ready to pull the trans. 96 ch614 e7.. anything big that's different than a regular cummins and trans in a kenworth/pete/freightliner that I've done before?

Thanks

Just curious,  Is it a Mack tranny?  I dont recall super 10 in the Mack tranny's..   However Eaton has a super 10 top 2..  I have also never seen a CH-614..  Does it have 3 Drive axels?  I would love to see pictures of it..   Welcome aboard...  Jojo

Edited by Joey Mack
More content needed

I haven’t even heard of one in a long time drove one once kenworth didn’t like it kinda hard to explain shifting off from a traffic light up hill it wouldn’t allow you to go to 1st high … RPMs would shut down too early…… not sure if anyone understood that!!!!!!!!! Bob

I kinda understand, Bob..  I was working at Maine Mack in Portland M.E., when Hanaford bros. grocery bought 35 CH's. All were Eaton Super 10 Top 2 tranny's..  I drove all of them.  Basically, you can split each gear or skip shift (up-or-down), and 9th &10th were overdrive.  I wouldnt mind spending a couple hours driving one today, to see if I can still shift it :) Jojo

Super Ten Fullers were back in the beginning of automation and all that great stuff.  Some engineers agreed there were fuel savings to be found being in direct and overdrive at the proper times. Technology wasn't so advanced at the time so basically (really basically) the ECM would shift the transmission between direct and overdrive  (9th and 10th) as it was programed . Since processors and servos weren't that sophisticated (or affordable) at the time the Super Ten Top 2 made some sense on some level. They could also just be shifted by the driver if it wasn't set up to an ECM or in a truck without an ECM.  By the time they marketed them and all though , they were basically obsolete because there were better mousetraps. (think Autoshift) . they also pitched it as "less shifting for the driver"  Sorta like a Mack ten speed from the early '80s but the shift pattern was where it ended.  Outside they looed like an old RTO 13 speed but with no range valve on the main case on it's left side.   Remember when all these ideas.... low RPM high torque....less shifting.... reduced weight were all Mack ideas no one really valued at the time as they do now ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...