Excessive wear on front tandem tires

SLEDOG

I installed a set of new recaps across the front tandem on my Granite triaxle dump truck. 
in 8000 miles I’ve lost about 80% of tread.

Is it possible the power divider is not functioning properly to cause this problem and how do I check that?

Here is a tool I made about 10 years or so, ago..  I needed to diagnose tire wear on a truck that was in a minor wreck.  I made this tool to measure the distance between the drive axles to see how far off they were..  Its ugly, but it works and I will still use it today if needed..  I basically made 2 sliding pointers with clamp bolts, and slipped them over some wire conduit..  i sharpened the tips of the pointers so they would fit good into the dimples on the axle flanges..  

KIMG1964.JPG

• Like 1

have you looked at the torque arm bushings, and the box rubbers, as well as any wear on the spring tips in the boxes?  they should not touch the boxes anywhere.. if the upper pads are worn out badly, you will be able to wiggle them without jacking the truck up..  and of course there is always the trunnion bushings too..  but lets keep it basic..

Torque arm bushings look ok…box rubbers look like they may be coming apart….new trunnion bearings a couple years ago so I HOPE they are ok…

It does dog track a little….

box rubbers!!  Atro makes a decent affordable kit, with the bolts..  You may want to get 12 more washers..  if you like washers on both sides of the bolt..  and put twinkies in the boxes too... jojo

when my granite started doing that, we noticed slight wear on the spring tips. and i was getting a strange clunk on acceleration. 

after taking it apart we found the centering pins in the box rubbers were sheared off, letting the front axle wander about 3/4 inch

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Ok Joey I’ll look into that….

The air acuater for the pier divider lockout…is that supposed to slide off when bolts are removed? I can only move that back an 1/8 inch when trying to pull that off too check it out 

you should be able to leave the power divider drum in place, and pull the shifter section out by itself..  what makes you think it needs inspecting??  

when you get it apart you can bench test it.  look closely at the sliding clutch and clutching teeth on the outer cam drum also.. you dont need to use high air pressure to actuate the shift fork and clutch, it can fly out.. 

not to "throw a wrench" in the topic  , it does sound as though there is a mechanical problem; by chance did the recaps come from a different supplier ? a worn mechanical :bushings, pins etc should cause driving havoc to a degree.  4 tires (caps) worn evenly too soon possible caps poor quality ? the divider engaged at high road speed for extended time would let you know it. usually with gear oil and parts on the ground. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not too sure Mrs Mack…

finally got a chance to talk to my tire guy and he said they do that all the time on a Mack with no problems….

I still think I have a problem with power divider somehow and I know it’s not permanently locked in….

Sledog

Jack up any of the back wheels, any of the corners,  block the truck so it cant roll, release the brakes and the wheel you have in the air should be able to be rolled

Remembering it is not a power divider  on a Mack axle, so it might be a little different than you expect 

Or if your tyre guy has the knowledge on this then let him sort it

Paul