Can a DM-690S dbl frame chassis be used to rebuild an R-model w/a damaged fame?

coastaldm611

Question

17 answers to this question

Dont think so Bob. The DM frame has a much deeper web section of the channel and changes dimension significantly just ahead of the front drive axle. I'm not sure if the DM frames are splayed like the R model's are. So in short the frames themselves are very different. Could you make an R model cab, hood, and other components integrate onto a DM frame? Maybe. I think you will run into too many fitment issues. Practically my answer to the OP is "no". 

• Like 1

An F chassis, yes.  A U chassis, probably.  A DM chassis, probably not without a great deal of work.  Would be a beast of an R if you did!

I think the R, U, and F all start with the same bare RAILS.  Of course, those common rails then get a variety of crossmembers and mounts attached to them, resulting in a considerably different assembly.

Of course, with enough work, pretty much anything can be mounted on anything else.  Like '67 said, it's probably not practical.  Definitely not a "bolt-on" project.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Rather than do all that nonsense you could get brand new rails made. P.G. Adams in Maine or another outfit in Cleveland, Ohio I cant think of the name right now. Take your old rails there and get brand new ones with identical dimensions and hole locations. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 67RModel said:

Vicon Fabricating in Mentor, Ohio....a suburb of Cleveland.

I have a friend in Mentor.  Runs a tool and die shop.  He makes all of my custom cutting tools and bars.  Takes my mental nightmares and turns them into reality.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

PG Adams can't do Mack frames, they can't do the splay around engine trans.

Yes they can. They choose not to advertise it because it takes too long and ties up too much manufacturing space for other jobs I guess. They actually have a thread on the forum here of them doing it. Its several years old now.....

As far as putting a R Model cab on a DM frame, i bet it could be done, just move the cab back and fabricate front hood and radiator mounts. And on the earlier ones the hood was mounted to the radiator.  Lots of work though, i almost tried this some years ago on a perfect DM frame, but ended up buying a fully groomed cab from Manders in Lakeville minn.    terry:MackLogo:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JoeH said:

I stand corrected; I guess I should correct it to the won't?

I think if you give them enough $$ and enough time time they will do it. I think they have to have your old ones to work from though. They cant just make a set without a pattern.

agree 100% ; alot of work tooo many differences.  depending on your maintenance  set up == time down ;; most important $$$$. look into making a RD  unit. R with double frame  must have been an RD from start???? is the DM that bad to use as donor ? rails are a challenge to change , .RD might have rails similar to DM , R  models will be different

• Like 1