Super dogs birthday I think we lost him

mowerman

OK thanks I think that was the guy that asked me to borrow my yard bought a R model  water truck  close to here can’t remember. I’m getting old when memory is fading. Thanks for that. From what I remember he was always on here. I think it was a Cattle  driver, but it was dipping into everything for what I remember.Bob

1 hour ago, mowerman said:

OK thanks I think that was the guy that asked me to borrow my yard bought a R model  water truck  close to here can’t remember. I’m getting old when memory is fading. Thanks for that. From what I remember he was always on here. I think it was a Cattle  driver, but it was dipping into everything for what I remember.Bob

That was Rob who bought the water truck, a tan colored R model. He kind of comes and goes here, and is well liked. He disappeared once for a few years and then came back like he'd never left. I wish he'd reappear, he was another who's just a wealth of knowledge and will help anybody with anything.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Superdog, Mike Harbison Sr, was in Morning Sun, IA. He had about 200 Mack's in various stages from just a frame or title to complete running, operating trucks.  His boy, Mikey, is carrying on the tradition though. 

Mike is also the one who located and purchased what is believe to be the only surviving, of either 12 or 13, UPS 4X4 Mack MH. I believe that it will eventually be in the Mack Museum. I know there was a deal made and it went east.

104434307_1404516023270201_6465344803822111776_n.jpg

104840841_1562689503908308_1231263838050943988_n.jpg

• Like 1

the 237 will do anything the 460 will.

just slower. my 79 DM 800 with worked 37 and twin stick trans would run alongside 400 and 460 trucks.............until we got to a hill. than fall flat on it's face. 

it had 285 injectors, a 5 inch turbo instead of the 4 inch, and the injector pump was turned up to match the injectors and turbo. 

the dynatard was messed up in the injector pump. straighten the rod and put it in. it would work properly one time, than bend the rod again. 

so i pulled the wire off the injector pump and ran it inside the cab.   mounted a two speed rear switch on the main stick, and grounded one side of the switch.    when i wanted the engine brake flip the switch up. switch down and engine brake off. 

i could speed shift by simply snapping the switch up for a second between gears to bring RPM's down faster to slip in into next gear. that truck won a whole lot of races against trucks with much bigger engines. 

i really hated it when they sold it.  

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Mike is no longer with us but he's on our minds. One of the longest time members on here I belive (did it much longer than I do) and had Birthday in April. My memory tells it's on the 6th of and the date the thread was started tells the same. To my understanding just a few persons in the world have so huge amount of Mack trucks collected together as he had. I mean a collection or a kind of it, not a commertially operating fleet. As many others I kept a plan or idea to go to Iowa and visit him some day. "Could" do that in 2019 if had more time and deeper pockets. But the things were different and later on became different with no way to get back. Rest In Peace Mike and Happy Birthday!

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

11 hours ago, tjc transport said:

the 237 will do anything the 460 will.

just slower. my 79 DM 800 with worked 37 and twin stick trans would run alongside 400 and 460 trucks.............until we got to a hill. than fall flat on it's face. 

it had 285 injectors, a 5 inch turbo instead of the 4 inch, and the injector pump was turned up to match the injectors and turbo. 

the dynatard was messed up in the injector pump. straighten the rod and put it in. it would work properly one time, than bend the rod again. 

so i pulled the wire off the injector pump and ran it inside the cab.   mounted a two speed rear switch on the main stick, and grounded one side of the switch.    when i wanted the engine brake flip the switch up. switch down and engine brake off. 

i could speed shift by simply snapping the switch up for a second between gears to bring RPM's down faster to slip in into next gear. that truck won a whole lot of races against trucks with much bigger engines. 

i really hated it when they sold it.  

from day one that ground bar in pump for dynatard  was a cluster f==k . if they did last longer than a small number of uses , they wore out fast. I like the modification to grounding dynatard ; could call it a "redneck nitrous switch" LOL

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

from day one that ground bar in pump for dynatard  was a cluster f==k . if they did last longer than a small number of uses , they wore out fast. I like the modification to grounding dynatard ; could call it a "redneck nitrous switch" LOL

we were on a LARGE parking lot job in 97 or 98 and everyone centered near my truck at beak time.  i was the only one with an "old" truck. 

everyone else had mid 90's or newer macks with 400 or 427's, and one 460. 

there were also a few kenworts with cummins and cats in the 425 hp range. 

well the 237 sounds quite different from the newer engines, one of the youngsters opened the door of my truck to check it out and came around front to ask what engine and trans combo i had as he had never seen twin sticks PLUS a two speed rear switch in a truck before.

the senior "old fart" on the job was a real joker, and was even quicker with a comeback. ...he told the kid that the truck had an old school 325 HP six cylinder mack engine and a quad box with two speed rears. 

he also told him that the larger engine and 40 possible gear combinations was why i could keep up with everyone on the road.  the kid believed every word as gospel truth,  and for weeks after that whenever i was around the big joke was asking me what gear i was in. 

mike had the new 460 powered truck with an 18 speed, and on the hood was painted " if ya can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch"    i was one of the very few old trucks allowed to "run with the big dogs"

another one was a 69 Autocar with a  cummins  and 18 speed.  that 30 year old Autocar was washed every night and parked in a garage.    it also had a chrome plated engine you could use as a mirror.

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..