Rear passenger axle locking when braking

MACK321
Go to solution Solved by MACK321,

Here is my little diagram of how slack adjusters are mounted on your truck..  I hope others add to this tutorial..  I suggest you re-read the posts from Mechohaulic and MrsMackPaul, and MarkT...  Jojo

KIMG1711.JPG

If the issue is height related, wouldn't both wheels on rear act the same . exception might be due to left side wheel is on crown of road right side lower . as with many issues on this site - not being there to physically inspect challenges  things. an empty trailer should have enough  weight to pressure air suspension. out of round drum  if jacked up and manually spun should indicate issue. also out of round would have a tendency to run hotter loaded ?   tires /brake shoes/ drums all check out ; i'm back to slack adjuster error == be it over adjusting, or mis aliment. over adjusting would give a lock up / hot wheel run too long.  before spending more $$$; the swap right to left drums, possibly shoes has my vote.

I would like to be there also .  I think I would jack the drives up and try adjusting the brakes till they just barely scrub, kinda like drums brakes on a pick up truck. Then test drive it..  it is tough when you are not there to see the issue..  jojo

• Like 1

Is it me, or does the frame look twisted in the second picture?  Maybe do like Mechohaulic said and swap the brakes and drums to see if the issue follows .. this test is free. Buying brakes and drums gets expensive quick. 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

now that's what I call expert  observations of mechanical nature terms of twisted frame picture two. focus on tape measure till looking toward fifth wheel , cross member looks straight can't be camera angle. my vote also cast for twist some where. 

• Haha 1

Duno Id try what Joey mentioned there! also with the wheel jacked up set the slack till shoes just touch and rotate the wheel by hand and see of there is a tight spot indicating an out of round drum! Or another scenario loos wheel bearings ! I have seen this issue with out the seal leaking! 

• Like 2

wheel loose enough  to screw up braking should 1 - wobble noticeably-2 have wheel seal leak , should have been noticed by the mechanic. need two people ; one to watch brake action while other applies brakes. leaning towards rusted clevis pin in slack.

• Like 1

Mech.. my old timer gave me the nickname 'Clevis' 20+ years ago..  I was chasing a front brake issue on a late 70's DM..  after an hour or so,. Well.. it was a rusted clevis pin..  Too funny, and true..

1 hour ago, mechohaulic said:

notice the auxiliary helper return spring in picture of blue trailer axle on slack adjuster.  possible another slow acting brake can. maybe that's what this truck needs 

They are the only axles I have with springs like those

The dolley those axles are on is the most modern thing I own, I noticed when I was at Maxi parts (big truck parts supply chain in Australia) that all new axles they have also have these springs 

I reckon those springs are a good idea but wonder if proper maintenance would alleviate the need for springs

The axles are K Hitch brand, pretty sure they are Chinese but are on a lot of trailers these days out here 

I have never had a drama with them 

Paul

• Like 1

seems to me if quick release  valve is faulty;  tendency would be both wheels effected ? one valve for two wheels. jack up rear axle so both wheels spin. set on jack stands ; chock front wheels  SAFETY  IS PRIORITY  sLOWLY  put in gear while someone watches ' apply brakes and release;; back in gear slowly or after brake release try manual spin each wheel.