Rear passenger axle locking when braking

MACK321
Go to solution Solved by MACK321,

Hello I have a 2011 Mack CXU613 I'm having a problem when I brake bobtail or driving empty my passenger rear axle locks up making it very hard to stop and I don't hard brake just a little tap to the brake makes the axle lock all my speed sensors are new brakes are new I replaced the brake chamber for the rear axle as my mechanic thought that was the problem turned out not to be anyone have had this issue before? 

Edited by MACK321

• MACK321 changed the title to Rear passenger axle locking when braking

when ever i  delt with a rogue brake acting erratic, findings were things such as brake can (you changed ), wrong size brake line compared to the others from can to quick release valve; oil /grease on shoes, . when you say shoes are new; brand new or resent install. has this happened since shoes changed?? someone put new shoes have wrong grit block??  slacks must be autos; is the adjustment same as rest or a slack over adjusting ??

• Like 1

Was anything changed leading up to this

Slack adjusters have different holes for different applications 

Are they all in the same hole at each back wheel

Are the other brakes working properly or at all 

Measure how much the rod travels out of each can, they should be pretty much the same

Are the rods all the same length to ensure all slack adjusters travel the same distance 

Are the slack adjusters going past 90 degrees 

If you back the brakes off at the slack adjusters so there is no contact with the drum, then when the park brake is set are the rods at 90 degrees to the slack adjusters, this is important 

Are all S cams spinning freely and not binding

I dont live in a part of the world that uses salt on the road, and even I have to pull S cams out occasionally to properly degrease and clean all the crap out and start again, I  can only imagine this would be much worse if you live were salt is used 

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ABS and that stuff I know nothing about sorry

I assume this is a bogie drive truck

Maybe hook a air pressure guage up at each can to see if the pressures are equal 

I still would be leaning towards a mechanical issue 

All rods need to travel the same distance and slack adjsuters should be on the same angles at rest and when brakes are applied 

Paul 

• Like 1

I wonder if the ride height is too high and causing the rear axle to have a light load on it.  He did say "Bobtailing".

-Paul asked if the S-Cams moved freely.

-Mechohaulic mentions slack adjusters and adjustment.   and air line size.. 

I hope all 8 drive tires are the same size.. I think you should check what Paul and Mech, said, as well as the ride height adjustment..  jojo

• Like 1

I wonder if the ABS isnt working on this wheel , I  doubt it would have any effect unless under hard braking 

But if the wheel locks,  shouldn't the ABS release the brake and stop it rrom skidding ?

As I said I really dont know about ABS 

Paul 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Drum's not round for some reason.  Is it an aluminum hub ?  If the pilot pad is rotted there's nothing to pilot the drum weather it's new or in good shape.  If you're at the point of throwing parts at it ?   drum and linings on that wheel end.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mark T said:

Drum's not round for some reason.  Is it an aluminum hub ?  If the pilot pad is rotted there's nothing to pilot the drum weather it's new or in good shape.  If you're at the point of throwing parts at it ?   drum and linings on that wheel end.

Could just swap drum to another wheel and see of the problem shifts with it

Paul 

• Like 2

I have seen this happen with incorrect drums..  like putting hub piloted drums on a budd wheel hub..  many years ago...  I dont remember the inner diameter, of 2 types of drums....  

• Like 1

Mark has a good point also,,,  I have seen guys run a tire up on a hub using one lug nut (rather than 2 opposing lug nuts half-and-half) and it pulls up really hard and can damage the pilots that keep the drum spinning true..  MACK321,, I wish you were doing this diagnostic...  so that you could see the parts and possible damage to cause this issue..  jojo

• Like 2

You can use a tool like this one.  you need to know the brand of suspesion, Mack dealer should be able to tell you, buy just for the heck of it you can use thie measurement on this tool. you can use a tape measure to get close.  also if you use the measurement on the tool and find the frame rail is much higher, its a good chance you are too high.. 

KIMG1560.JPG.c03d224a95b91b4d5ee038e1c301f743.jpg

your truck is a 2011.. So it has a Volvo frame.  behind/below the fifth wheel on the left side is a larger hole with a screwdriver slot in the middle. the bolt next to the hole is the bolt that holds the suspensiion adjuster in place. that is where you make the adjustment.  Let us know if you are going to make an adjustment.  I dont want to type all the info yet.   jojo

• Like 1