59 diamond T

Truelove

On 2/11/2023 at 10:18 AM, mowerman said:

I heard Mack almost went bankrupt right around 1965 mismanaged and the R model was the only reason they stayed afloat I heard from 68 to 70 they sold more Mack’s than everything else combined. I don’t know how true that is but when I was a young teenager, all the turnpikes were packed with them U R and F models… Bob

the new style cabs'-R-_-U--_-F's saved the brand more important as noted, new leadership did more. Mr . Hanson took the brand to a new future. east coast was always Mack country. unfortunately, as it is written; things change. 

• Like 1

While watching Jacks Chrome shop on You Tube, I learned that Diamond-T was the designer of the IH Emmeryville COE. I guess Mack being owned by Chrysler wouldn't have turned out so well either. John Deere Oskosh or Cat might have been a good fit. Cat owns a giant diesel manufacturer from Germany called MAK

Edited by james j neiweem
  • Like 1

James is correct.. In the post war era the design engineers for both IH and DT were close personal friends.. Here is a picture of a prototype Emeryville taken behind the DT plant in Chicago with DT badges on it.. There was a long discussion about it on the Just Old Trucks WAI forum several years ago. IH May(??) have DT build this truck to prevent "industrial espionage" as DT already had the 921 China Closet in production.Yes it is the VCO cab originally designed by the Murty Bros of Portland OR for the the Diamond T company. Ford also used this same process when they built the H model "Two Story Falcon"

What-Am-I-605-Diamond-T-1950-s-COE.jpg

Edited by Brocky
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brocky

My uncle had one way way back when I was very young. He didn’t have it long. I think I got rid of it somewhere in the middle 60s they were very interesting I’m not going to say I actually liked them ha ha.. they were certainly nowhere near as ugly as the Volvo… Bob