EUP problem

Dalton1

I have a 07 CV713 with an AI400 and about 15k miles ago i had the number 6 (rear most) EUP get pushed out of the block breaking both bolts holding it in flush with the block. Got both bolts out installed a new EUP and hardware from mack and torqued to spec.

Then tonight had the exact same thing happen on the same cylinder again. Anyone have any idea what would cause this to happen? Haven't had issues with any of the other cylinders, all the heat shields are in place.

It's true..   I have repaired 5+6  many times..  I recommend using new bolts.  They are metric grade 10.9..   the final torque is 60 lbft..  I believe that was posted already..  take the bolts down evenly til snug, then 30ftlb on each then final torque..  Before you do any of this, get new o-ring kits, and use 320ish emery cloth to clean the chamfer at the top of the EUP bore.  so the (pre-lubed) o-ring doesn't get cut going in... jojo

Thanks for all the advice, got it back together, had to helicoil one hole, the other seemed ok. Used new bolts and put a new EUP in. 

Is the EUP that blew out worth saving or just a core now? Looks ok but wasn't sure so i threw a new one in. Only has 15k on it.

The original heat shields should be enough..  They also help keep 'crud' from building up on the EUP's and wires, which will hold heat in..  I am curious what ideas get posted..   Jojo

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dalton1 said:

Thanks for all the advice, got it back together, had to helicoil one hole, the other seemed ok. Used new bolts and put a new EUP in. 

Is the EUP that blew out worth saving or just a core now? Looks ok but wasn't sure so i threw a new one in. Only has 15k on it.

Yup I have re used these many times as It usually entailed  going on a rd side or up some dog trail to rescue ! you might also consider an oil change as there has likely been some fuel dilution as Joe mentioned also a core charge you should get the cal code installed at some point also not crucial but !!!!! just sayin!  I believe it comes down to bolt quality how ever number 5 , 6 is a bit of an anomaly for sure! have seen others fail! just not as often! This also seems to happen to the AI More than the AC from my observation! This comes down to dollar store parts again!  just like rocker bolts there were a rash of broken rocker bolts due to poor quality at one point! Aside from the fact the bolt size should have been one size up! under engineered! The origanal design e6 e9 all had 7/16 bolts and only ever seen one break once! why they went to a smaller bolt is kind of a mystery to me How EVER I can't even blame Volvo for this short coming🤣

Mine was almost done on the side of the road too, of course had the plow, wing and 12 yards of sand on at the bottom of a hill when it let go, luckily a guy with a shop up the road bailed me out and dragged it there with his backhoe.

Good to know thanks, oil change will definitely get done, unfortunately I changed it not long ago and of course this truck has the 52 quart pan.

Anyone ever tried to drill it out and make a 7/16 or m12 bolt work? Seems like there's plenty of meat on the block for that. I'd  love to find a way where I don't have to worry about it, not totally confident in the helicoil.

• Sad 1

if you were to drill out the block for bigger bolts, you will also need to drill out the EUP's..  I think that would give more problems in the future, especially if you have to warranty an EUP..  And I can see the ears breaking off the EUP when you try to torque it down passed 60 lbft..   Maybe just check bolt torque here and there, and replace them annually if you really have a concern..  Another thing that helps, is to oil the bolts, and wipe them off so there is not enough to hydraulic lock them in the hole, only for them to relax and become loose..  jojo

Edited by Joey Mack
more content needed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dalton1 said:

Mine was almost done on the side of the road too, of course had the plow, wing and 12 yards of sand on at the bottom of a hill when it let go, luckily a guy with a shop up the road bailed me out and dragged it there with his backhoe.

Good to know thanks, oil change will definitely get done, unfortunately I changed it not long ago and of course this truck has the 52 quart pan.

Anyone ever tried to drill it out and make a 7/16 or m12 bolt work? Seems like there's plenty of meat on the block for that. I'd  love to find a way where I don't have to worry about it, not totally confident in the helicoil.

BIG PAN ! Before you waste money on an oil change get a sample done it maybe you can get by till your next service! a small amount of fuel will not hamper things much!

• Like 2