ENDT 673 in cold weather

3 hours ago, skydawg said:

Thanks for all the info.And I didn`t know to floor the pedal,I thought the injection pump compensated for different temp mixture requirements.It`s Not Easy Bein` Green.

There was a sticker on Macks (anyone have a picture of it?) that gives starting instructions that say to put the petal to the floor until the engines up to speed.

John Deere engines start about how you describe by dumping a bunch of fuel into the cylinders and hoping for the best. Thats why the old ones start so violently.    Macks start by retarding the injection timing and letting the piston compress the air to the max before injecting the fuel in. Macks always started really good compared to others it seemed. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, phildirt said:

You don't need no stinking block heater if you have one of these and a box of capsules!

The manual says nothing about holding the foot feed all the way down - It says: "Depress accelerator half-way."

PICT0001.JPG

operator manual cover.jpg

operator manual pg 23.jpg

Not saying its right or wrong. But I think this is the sicker BOBWhite referred to . 

IMG_7977.thumb.jpeg.e189f1a60fe8658f74f74d3a6f128d97.jpeg

• Like 2

Keith 

That sticker sure isn't for any of the ENDT 673 engines.

The same book shown above, Form No. TS-442, shows an operating range (rpm) of 1,500 to 2,100, idle speed 550 -575. Governed speed: full load 2,100, no load 2,350.

Load it up heavy and lug it down to 1,020 rpm, it will be fine - for a short time, then stop and replace head gaskets.

Edited by phildirt

2 hours ago, phildirt said:

"ENDT 673 in cold weather" is the header on this thread.

I am not arguing with anybody about where to hold the foot feed - just showing what the Mack manual says about starting an ENDT 673 engine in cold weather.

And we thank you for that post!

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

On 11/18/2022 at 4:12 PM, mechohaulic said:

OH the good ole days. watching the exhaust warm and change colors. amazing thing for me is ; back in the good days with all the exhaust smoke i never noticed the inside windows of my vehicle get as cloudy as they do today with all the emission BS. and i don't smoke .

That's all the interior plastic gassing off that's clouding up your windows.

• Haha 1