Pulling injectors on a 673

Craig N
Go to solution Solved by theakerstwo,

Figured out the speedometer wiring last night. It’s a Stewart Warner so the instructions were online. I have to find the port on the back of the transmission tonight.  I might wire up a reverse light switch off the dash just to have for inspections and what not. Have to figure out why my directionals don’t work when my lights are on now haha.

Looks like it’s going to be a pain to get the compressor out. I wish I had the foresight to do this when I had the motor out haha. Looks like the exhaust and oil dipstick tube will have to come out at the least.  I have that motor sitting on the ground so at least I have an idea of what needs to be done. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, HarryS said:

I just finished replacing the compressor. I had to take the dip stick out but not the exhaust. I did take the fender off. Made it a lot easier.

Oh nice. Yeah, I was under it yesterday and looked like I could slip it passed the exhaust.  Where did you source a compressor?  Power Brake Sales in California will rebuild mine, but they don’t have one to sell me. I’m on the other coast too, so wouldn’t mind finding someone closer to rebuild mine if possible. 

Edited by Craig N

Craig what kind of tail light are you using I installed led ones with back up light built in I had to install some kind of wiring isloater box made by hoppy for everything to work something with how the brake lights are one wire to both lights and turn were separated 

Edited by Mean Green
Info

If your going to be a bear be a grizzly

18 minutes ago, Mean Green said:

Craig what kind of tail light are you using I installed led ones with back up light built in I had to install some kind of wiring isloater box made by hoppy for everything to work something with how the brake lights are one wire to both lights and turn were separated 

Signal Stat typical truck lights with 1157’s in them and back ups in there too. IMG_7424.thumb.jpeg.969e5eb6894fe42788d2015f0a43a485.jpegIMG_7425.thumb.jpeg.8ed3861bbc284c5b760fd3425aded223.jpeg

• Like 1

On 7/30/2023 at 4:48 PM, Craig N said:

Lots of gross oil and some water in the air tank when I got it home. Had drained it prior to leaving too 

is the compressor on it now from original engine or was on donor engine from start?  with the system COMPLETLY  drained down, open all tank drains overnight . some cases larger drain if you remove drains completely from tanks, take off the feedline from compressor at the tank end. secure the end so it doesn't go whipping and hurt some one ;; and start engine .  see how much crap comes out . 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

is the compressor on it now from original engine or was on donor engine from start?  with the system COMPLETLY  drained down, open all tank drains overnight . some cases larger drain if you remove drains completely from tanks, take off the feedline from compressor at the tank end. secure the end so it doesn't go whipping and hurt some one ;; and start engine .  see how much crap comes out . 

I’ll take the line off tomorrow and let it pump out. This is the compressor that was on the donor engine. Was built in 1989. The one on the original engine is from 1960. Can’t even find replacement numbers for the 1960 one. The 1989’s numbers still exist. Both TU-Flo 500’s, but the old one is obviously an older model.IMG_7419.thumb.jpeg.e6e264f0fbd0aa1cd32a7dccd6c80d58.jpegIMG_7416.thumb.jpeg.906e652831000e42756b780bfb1f33be.jpeg

11 hours ago, Craig N said:

I’ll take the line off tomorrow and let it pump out. This is the compressor that was on the donor engine. Was built in 1989. The one on the original engine is from 1960. Can’t even find replacement numbers for the 1960 one. The 1989’s numbers still exist. Both TU-Flo 500’s, but the old one is obviously an older model.IMG_7419.thumb.jpeg.e6e264f0fbd0aa1cd32a7dccd6c80d58.jpegIMG_7416.thumb.jpeg.906e652831000e42756b780bfb1f33be.jpeg

so you really don't know history of the donor compressor. by chance did you check air tanks from donor ? do you have access of the donor for other parts or is it gone ? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Craig N said:

Oh nice. Yeah, I was under it yesterday and looked like I could slip it passed the exhaust.  Where did you source a compressor?  Power Brake Sales in California will rebuild mine, but they don’t have one to sell me. I’m on the other coast too, so wouldn’t mind finding someone closer to rebuild mine if possible. 

I was lucky Power Brake in CA had one on the shelf for $900 which included shipping to VA and a $200 core charge. Shipping the core back ate up about half the credit. This place in Pittsburgh, PA rebuilds them:  https://www.powerbrakex-change.com/productdetail.php?id=4257. There is also a place in far SW VA which was recommended by Power Brake in CA but there rebuild time was kind of open ended.

• Like 1

So, my old oil gauge (Stewart Warner) was filling up with oil and I replaced it today with a new one. Now the same thing happened with the brand new one. Filled right up. What the hell am I doing wrong?  The fitting screws right on the back of the gauge.  No leaks from the fitting, but the oil actually starts filling up the face of the gauge. Can dump it out the light socket. 

Maybe your doing the gauges up to tight and cracking them inside

You could wash out the air tanks but I wouldn't worry about it, the mushroom sauce is in the system now and has been for many decades 

So if any rubber ware is gunna be stuffed from the oil it's well on it's way

I would just drain the tanks regularly at first, every few hours to begin with, or every time you take it out, which should be done anyway at the end of each day you drive it

Paul 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, mowerman said:

Sounds like all your airlines are stuffed with oil, but I don’t understand why it’s getting inside the gauge that’s a new one on me

I think it's the oil pressure gauge for the motor thats getting oil in it

But I could be wrong here

Paul 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mowerman said:

Sounds like all your airlines are stuffed with oil, but I don’t understand why it’s getting inside the gauge that’s a new one on me

After posting that, I thought to myself. Oh, wait a minute of course the oil line is going to be full of oil.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

I think it's the oil pressure gauge for the motor thats getting oil in it

But I could be wrong here

Paul 

Yeah, oil pressure gauge for the motor. It has 40 at cold idle, nothing alarming. 

2 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

How about puttin a remote gauge on it to see what it really pushes..  maybe a 150 PSI + gauge.. 

That’s a good idea. Used to have one in my 66 LTD. Wish I still had it now lol.