Flatbed length

Quickfarms

I am building a removable flatbed for my F800.

there is 10 feet of frame behind the cab

i am debating on a 10 foot, 11 foot or 12 foot flatbed 

I have two 12 foot flatbeds but they look a little long extending past the frame and look like they will interfere with the trailer hitch 

should I shorten one of the 12 foot beds to 10 or 11 feet?

599D3FCD-36FF-4630-A5EB-8E3464985305.jpeg

I guess it depends on what you are wanting the tray for

Most working trucks want as much tray as is available 

But if you are planning using it as a run about fun machine then I would think something fairly short so its easy to park

Paul

You must answer to yourself: What are your going to put on the tray?? And what are you going to pull with the trailer hitch??? And At the same time??? Then figure out your turning clearance of the towed vehicle.. And build from there..

• Like 2

Brocky

5 hours ago, Brocky said:

You must answer to yourself: What are your going to put on the tray?? And what are you going to pull with the trailer hitch??? And At the same time??? Then figure out your turning clearance of the towed vehicle.. And build from there..

This. The company I'm working for has some 1-tons with 12' beds...and the retail store trucks that occasionally pull an enclosed trailer to deliver cabinets, doors, & windows all have extensions in the receiver to make clearance (at the expense of hitch load capacity)...and the nose of the trailers are scarred from when they tried pulling them without the extension and the corners of the bed made contact. If you're building it, I suppose if you wanted the length without sacrificing towing ability, you could round off the corners enough to keep them out of a trailer's nose...

Edited by RowdyRebel
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

6 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Just out of Curiosity, What the Rear Overhang Limit in the U.S.A. ???

The only rear overhang limit that I am aware of is for the location of the DOT bumper in relation to the back of the bed which I believe is 4 feet. Since this vehicle is not registered commercially only the regulations at the date of manufacturing apply and it does not have to meet current requirements,