R Model Door Emblems

I have a 72 R685ST. It id Mack from tip to stern. At one point someone put Chrome instead of gold Dog on hood. The doors are also sporting chrome Dogs. Should those be gold as well? Second part of question. I see so many Rs without door emblems. Is that depending on the years or simply were removed and not put back on at some point? Thank You

The gold dogs have been discussed / debated on here many times over the years. The short answer is gold dogs have had different meanings at different points in time. When the Maxidyne engine first came out (1965 or 66) a gold dog was an indication of Maxidyne power. Later on they meant all Mack powertrain (engine, trans, rears). In your case I would say the truck should have gold dogs on it since you meet both requirements. All Mack components and R685 indicates it would have a Maxidyne under the hood. I have no clue as to whether or not door emblems were an option or meant something else.

Edited by 67RModel
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Quickfarms said:

The door dogs seem to be hit and miss

my observation is the the steel dash and early larger cab had them and they seemed to disappear when the front cab mounts were changed 

Thank You. Hit or Miss seems to be a fair number of things. LOL. I am by no means an expert, but that was kind of my observations too. 

21 hours ago, Bobby Covert said:

The gold/chrome dog thing reminds me of the other heavily opinionated topic. Mud flaps and the way the dog faces. Both chrome and gold look nice. I’d just have them match and don’t worry about the rest.

Probably the best advice Ive ever read on here. At the end of the day it doesn't make a bit of difference. 

• Like 2

On 7/3/2022 at 5:59 AM, mrsmackpaul said:

So true Mr Buck, this bulldog business these days has more to do with pleasing keyboard warriors, as does the mud flaps and the way dogs face, oh and the dogs on the mirrors 

End of the day most of the clowns making a big deal about this rubbish have probably never owned or driven a Mack

We dont buy a Mack because of the colour of the dog, the way dogs face on the mirror or mud flaps, we buy them because they are tough, reliable and get the job done, oh and because they are the best trucks ever built

Paul 

Amen Brother Paul